Cutting the Cord - TV service

banditj13

Canceled Dish Network today. Starting Net Flix Tomorrow. Only shows I watch are Walking Dead, Sons Of Anarchy and 24, Ill have to find a way to get those but the kid only watches movies so shes good

Walking dead you can watch on the AMC website the day after it airs.

SOA, I buy on ITunes for about 50 bucks a season.  Again I get it the day after it airs when I buy the season pass in the preseason.

24, I don't know.  Looks to be fox and Fox will stream the day after it airs.

Also add anything you can stream from the web browser you can play to the TV using ChromeCast.  35 bucks for a very handy little device.

or watch on project free tv.

Here is a Motogp source. I still need a WSBK source.

http://www.dailymotion.com/cbm-racing1

(seems they took down the most recent races????)

I think Craig has some site he pays to watch them, thing is he's a deek and won't pass out his password.  I hate him.

I need to check the motogp link you provided.  Thanks

I've been without cable TV for about 18 months or so and don't miss it except for more options with sports - mostly football.  I receive local channels over the air and stream movies, TV shows, etc. via Amazon and VUDU (dropped Netflix last year).  I honestly watch more stuff on You-Tube than anything else here lately and don't miss anything with respect to the news since the interwebz is chock full of information.  

Oh, I forgot to add that I also have a Roku but rarely use it anymore.  

Edited by baptizo

• 4 months later...

Going to bump this back up, looks like our Roku 3 we got refurbished died after just over a year.  Our 2XD is still running strong, which is also a refurb model and was like 45 bucks, but anyways, I am replacing the 3 with a Roku Stick HDMI model.

One reason is our new house we got a 2.1 bluetooth SS system and the only thing we'll have on the mantel after installing the Stick is the speaker.  Everything else is hidden behind the TV or on a shelf off to the side of the room/floor, so nothing really cluttering the mantel making wife happy.  With that said, reviews are good, seems like it's processor is more like the 2 processor speed, which is nice, but the 3 was way faster, whatever.  It does however come with a remote that has direct Netflix access which is 99% of what we use, other than an ESPN log in from a friend.

With all of that, it's only 50.00 and I added another remote app to both of Iphone's-APPLE RULES(jkjk no apple war here please), and read that I can actually open Netflix and YouTube directly from my phone and it will open in the Roku Stick on the TV automatically if I allow it to.  Which I like.

We planned to try this model in our basement when we move the old TV from our living room to Luke's play room down there and replace it with a Smart TV but just doing it a little earlier as we wanted to wait til the holidays to get the Smart TV. 

In the end we've had cable cut for 18+ months now, and honestly, I don't feel like I've missed anything.  Saving over 60.00 a month, and everything is caught up on, minus SOA which should release to Netflix any day since the new season just started.

I do think I will buy a Chromecast at some point simply so the wife can stream her stupid Vampire shows without having to move the laptop at all.  Then again, maybe not......

I don't have tv buy have internet. I go to two websites for tv shows, tvlinks.com (i think that's it) and cokeandpopcirn.com. current shows are posted within like 15 minutes of airing on tv, walking dead, big bang, top shot...

Really?  Haven't heard of either, but will be looking into that, if that's the case I will get a google Chrome too and just stream stuff from the laptop.  Thanks!

Really?  Haven't heard of either, but will be looking into that, if that's the case I will get a google Chrome too and just stream stuff from the laptop.  Thanks!

Tvlinks.com changed so now its http://www.tvmuse.com/ and the other is http://www.cokeandpopcorn.ch/. You might get dead links or ones that don't stream but hey it's free. You'll also learn which sites to watch which shows and what good links are and what typically don't work. We watch pretty much all our tv shows here. Nice thing is being able to go through a series in order and you can watch it whenever, wherever you want.

I'm up in Michigan, but I quit Comcast Cable over a year ago.

I bought a $40 digital HD antenna from the local electronics store (Radio Shack) that gets all of my local programming for free, all channels are in real HD. Some Tigers games are broadcasted, but I actually love listening to the games on AM 950 anyways, in the garage, working on the bikes and having a couple beers. I get all the news and misc shows that I want (what decent shows are out there anyways) and we've never looked back.

I have internet for $35 a month, just one line into the house for my modem, and I have a single wireless router going off of that, which works not only all of our phones (3 Samsung Galaxy S3s) but also my Roku 3. I have a few subscriptions, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and of course the Motogp app on my phone, which I plug into the TV on race weekend.  between netflix and Amazon I watch all of my favorite shows like Dexter, etc. Amazon used to be the better site, but Netflix has really stepped it up in the past year, si I went back with them as well. With all the free apps on the Roku, it's been well worth the $100 bucks I spent on it. So many great features on it, too, like streaming Youtube videos, using my phone as the remote, etc. I even just ordered a Chromecast for my room, and if it works well I'll get some for kids rooms.  The kids and I (I'm a single father with custody of 2 kids) are completely happy with what we have.

My internet/tv combo used to cost about 130 a month, and I just can't justify that right now.  I'm about 60 a month now, I feel it's a very good deal.

Been using the plex app alot on my Roku and android devices. 

Been awesome so far!

Wish I could get the local stuff with an antenna, but it's a no go in my location. 

I need to look into PLEX too, and plan on Chromecast soon too.  Especially once we do a basement TV around the holidays.  Rumor is a cheap chinese 40in LED tv will be 150 shipped off Ebay/Slickdeals.  For that price I'll just get a Roku stick, and Chromecast for the basement, and antenna.  Less than 250 for all that.

• 3 weeks later...