Cutting the Cord - TV service

banditj13

Looking for what others have done...

I keep myself busy enough that I rarely have "TV time"... so I am thinking about turning off the TV service, and saving that money to use elsewhere (READ: On the bike)

I am curious who else has canceled, or does not have TV service, and what you do for "Sit down" entertainment...

• Upvote 1

Search the forum for Roku, this has been well documented/covered, and a lot of people are doing the same.  Here is my previous thread;  http://ohioriders.net/index.php?/topic/103203-roku23-vs-cable/?hl=roku

Honestly, I watch MORE TV without cable then I did before, granted that may be 1 hr M-F now, and if there's any time on weekends I'll watch a race or golf.  Wife has no issues with her stupid vampire shows being covered, and watches more TV now than she did before, which is hard to believe since it was something like 20+ hrs a week. 

Anyways, Im saving 50+ a month still and when we move will not be getting cable still.

Amazon, Netflix and project free tv. Have not missed it one bit. Run the roku 3, xbox one and a computer.  

So you did cut the cord too?  Nice.  If the streaming live tv thing ever gets off the ground in Cbus area that would be awesome too.  I know he was getting some fluff from TV networks or Cable providers for making it happen in big cities.  Just hope it does, would love to not even need antenna's. 

Amazon, Netflix and project free tv. Have not missed it one bit. Run the roku 3, xbox one and a computer.  

Project free TV is a new one to me... I like it...

For those of you using Roku/Amazon/netflix... Most of the content I want to watch is a premium, or fee based content... do you still find that you save $$ in the long run with vs cable service?  

like Parks.....between Netflix, Apple TV, Project Free TV and Amazon Prime I don't really need cable.

I keep it for sports and because my fiance doesn't think she can do without her HGTV and wedding shows so I let her pay the bill to keep it

Project free TV is a new one to me... I like it...

For those of you using Roku/Amazon/netflix... Most of the content I want to watch is a premium, or fee based content... do you still find that you save $$ in the long run with vs cable service?  

Internet $55

Netflix: $15

Hulu: $ 8

Prime: Free Perk

Total $78

Take the Alternative

Internet $55

Cable $85 (I'm ballparking)

Total: $140

Worth it to me.

Internet $55

Total $78

Take the Alternative

Internet $55

Worth it to me.

Netflix at 15?  I pay 9.00, is the 15 for unlimited streaming devices?  Always wondered what that cost. 

Haven't had cable for about 3 years now and I love it. Bout the only thing I miss is the Science channel and History 2.

I use Netflix and other online means to watch things that Netflix doesn't have.

Internet $55

Total $78

Take the Alternative

Internet $55

Worth it to me.

Seesh! I guess I am alot more of a cheapskate than I thought...

My total bill for internet and TV services is $65 per month

$30 Internet

$30 TV

$5 or so to Uncle Sam

I guess that is why I am struggling as to if it works for me to cut the TV service out and go with other means...

$9 for streaming $ 5 for Blurays + tax

I don't believe there is a limit on devices. I stream over laptop, xbox, and Bluray. I could be wrong.

Didn't know about the Bluray service, may need to check into that at some point.

I have been cable-less for 4 years.

If you can cut out sports, you will have no problem.

Netflix, Hulu + and Amazon Prime. Although I don't use the latter much.

Unless your sport is baseball or hockey. MLB.tv and Center Ice rock. I'm trying to get Carie to ditch the tv subscription. Most of the shows she watches are on the public channels anyways (4,6,10,28,53,etc). Hopefully this year will be the year. 

If I could find a cheaper internet provider I would cut my cable as well but that is who provides my internet service as well. I thought about just using my phone as a hotspot at home since I have 4g at home but I am afraid I would use to much data and cause my verizon bill to go up so it would not benefit me to switch.

We had Insight cable, phone and internet.  Discontinued the cable last month because they kept jacking the price up 10 to 20 every six months.  Now we're only paying like 50 bucks for phone and internet.  

Funny thing is, I took the cable that was connected to the cable box and plugged it into the tv.  Now we're still getting all the basic cable channels, just not paying for it?  Wondering if they're going to figure that out and somehow filter out the tv from the internet  :dunno:

Edited by JohnG

I too am cable free. There are streams available to catch every sports game playing with no blackouts that are SD, plus watch espn for the good chance of having your game in HD

Currently working on getting my htpc completely automated for racing, movies, and tv.

Cancelled it after the last kid moved out and don't miss it at all, there's enough on the net to watch if I want to vegitate. Between Netflix, 20 or so documentary websites, youtube, PBS and BBC(with the media hint firefox add on) I can geek out on military history anytime I want.

• Upvote 1

Cancelled it after the last kid moved out and don't miss it at all, there's enough on the net to watch if I want to vegitate. Between Netflix, 20 or so documentary websites, youtube, PBS and BBC(with the media hint firefox add on) I can geek out on military history anytime I want.

That's exactly my plan.