Ride to the Gap....opinions?

Blitz

Some of us actually ride when we get down there. ;)

I do, I just don't do the group rides. Don't like all the stops, pace, sightseeing, waiting for half the group, and eating. I ride the Gap numerous times and a select few of the surrounding roads with our group of 3 and 4. Most complain about our pace and risks and we don't wanna be responsible for others going down so we go on our own. Just looks like we don't ride because we don't leave and dawn and come back at dark, fuck all that.

• Upvote 3

I've rode down and back maybe ten times, done it on both bikes. FJR makes it easier, we rocket down on the slab 5 or so hours and your there. It's not for everyone, Dieing Shadow and Karl rode back with my crew last year. They hung in but it was rough going. We're leaving early 6/5/14 join us if you want.

• Upvote 1

Because the load up and the carpool I'm riding with are 120 miles apart. Columbus-Dayton

You can't ride with the tow vehicle? I guess I don't understand.

My biggest reason for not riding is not wanting to be stuck if I fuck up.

• Upvote 1

Ask MJ about riding down lol.

Trailer down to enjoy the time there more. Can't haul all your food and supplies. Break down. Wicked flat spot on your tires etc. Other than Rollinhot everybody else that rode down for this annual trip only did it once and said not again.

this need a way comfortable bike for this shit lol

I usually go down twice a year if i can, one time ill trailer the other time ill ride. When i trailer i tend to hit the twistys harder because i have a way home if i dump it. Plus trailer down with this bunch is hangover insurance, i have trailered down 5 times and rode down 4 times once on a 1990 GSXR 750, twice on a 1997 TL1000S, and once on the Connie.

Edited by 2talltim

I ride there a couple times per year....it's 470 from here.. I go a few different ways, usually take 159 fron 22 down to 104, then 74 to 41, go across the river at Aberdeen, then 68 to I75 at Lexington,to Knoxville...

It's not much farther than 70 to 71, to 75 at Cinci. and avoids riding through Cinci, and much better roads than the interstate IMO..

My other route is thru WV to I77 at Princeton to Fancy Gap, and down the BRP (that's a 2 day ride)

Edited by jnor

Very important that you always have a few things on hand. AAA membership, tire repair gear- plugs and inflator is the minimum and a few tools. And the Cincinnatti thing just don't be dumb enough to ride thru at rush hour and no big deal. It sucks but it's only 15 minutes. The guys I ride with are BMW owners and them boys ride everywhere. A little planning and road trips are fun.

• Upvote 2

Took my first trip to the gap back in 01 and went back in 02, 03, and 04 from Cleveland area.  We always did 400 mile first and last days on I77 to get there and back quickly to spend more time there.  We went there to play and to hook up with friends from another forum.  Made all my trips there on a GS500 and the last trip was a couple months before my 72nd birthday, Should be a piece of cake for a kid in his 50's.

• Upvote 3

Who cares how you travel down what matters most is that you show up. Every bike is not for long distance riding, I wouldn't many to make that trip on one of them crotch bikes lol, some can do it but I'll bet they won't do it twice.

• Upvote 1

Doc, Jerry and myself rode down to the gap this time last year and had a blast. We took rt 16 south as far as we could and it was fantastic. Even though it rained 5 of the days that we were gone and sucked at the time it was one of those trips that looking back gave us a lot of memories.

Once south of tazewell the roads get amazing, one of the best sections is called "the dragons back"

http://backofthedragon.com/

Edited by Jester_

Doc, Jerry and myself rode down to the gap this time last year and had a blast. We took rt 16 south as far as we could and it was fantastic. Even though it rained 5 of the days that we were gone and sucked at the time it was one of those trips that looking back gave us a lot of memories.

Once south of tazewell the roads get amazing, one of the best sections is called "the dragons back"

http://backofthedragon.com/

That is an awesome road, one of my favs. I took backroads all the way from Charleston to 16 one year.  Did you get on 16 far enough north to see the rooster farm. It's epic....all across the side of this massive hill as far as you can see are these rain barrels converted to little rooster houses. And tied to each dog house is one rooster. Hundreds of them. It was epic.

5678324474_9722e7d18e_o-M.jpg

Edited by Tonik

Seriously if you ever get a chance to ride 16 the whole way down do it. I cannot wait to go back one day.

Ride it in the northward direction..it's better. At least for me it is, I am more comfortable carving uphill twisties than downhill....

• Upvote 1

BamBam rode the Supersport to deals gap every year. He's almost sixty and that bike is no rolling sofa. Are you really gonna let a Limey Brit show you up?

Way to let the terrorists win. :nono:

Almost sixty....? with liberal rounding I suppose. :(

I agree with TPoppa, driving a cage past all those gorgeous roads, to get to the gap is just depressing.

I cannot understand how anyone could pass up the chance to ride through Dollywood...

• Upvote 1

Ask MJ about riding down lol.

Trailer down to enjoy the time there more. Can't haul all your food and supplies. Break down. Wicked flat spot on your tires etc. Other than Rollinhot everybody else that rode down for this annual trip only did it once and said not again.

zip your pockets!!!

My ride was a disaster, I started off in the rain and lost my credit cards and phone and didnt' realize it until I was in Kentucky.  I had to turn around and go back to Columbus (with assistance bc I almost ran out of gas), then try again the next day, again in the rain.  I arrived at the gap in the dark, while it was sprinking, and my ass hurt.  I was thankful that there was an open spot on a trailer for my ride back!!

It didn't ruin my trip, and I'm glad I did it.  I hope to ride down again this year, but maybe without the rain and loss of personal property.