Short Ride North 33 to 315

wagnem10

Went on a fairly short ride today from OSU campus down 71S to 33 north towards the zoo. Nice scenic ride with the Scioto River to your left. Road was in near perfect shape, but with a regatta event and it being the weekend, traffic was fairly lousy until I got past the intersection by Zoombeezi Bay. Continued North until Bean-Oller road I believe and then cut back East to 315 which has a little bit of curves running along the Olentangy River. 315 was surprisingly busy, but the road was good in most sections though the shoulder was in debatable condition in some areas. There was also construction going on around 750 I believe with some gravel and dirt from trucks entering/exiting. Overall not a bad ride to get out and stretch the legs a little bit. 

If I knew how to embed a map of the route I would... :confused:

You turned off 33/257 just a half mile before a sweet stretch. Next time instead of turning off on Bean-Oller, just keep heading north across the 42 intersection onto Klondike. It's only about 3 miles but it's fairly twisty with hardly any traffic and nice river and forest scenery. Just take it easy the first pass or two - there are a few blind turns to learn and there can be gravel patches after rain. Once you get a good line down it's a blast.

If you turn left at the top on 36 and then make the first left after that (right after the bridge), that puts you on 257 south (I know, you were just on 257... if you look at the map it switches once you get to 42) and that leg is still somewhat twisty and fun. Not as much as Klondike, but it's much better maintained and has fewer blind turns. Make a left at the light onto 42 and you're back to where you started if you want to do it all over.

That's my local go-to loop if I'm short on time. Do two or three laps one way and turn it around to run it in the other direction.

And be aware that all lights on 42 hate motorcycles (at least they did last year when I was there last) so plan accordingly. Or just make it a clockwise loop only and be done with it.

• Upvote 1

That's about as good as it gets in central Ohio. I did that stretch myself last weekend on the new CB.

@ 2tall, yeah, I'm sure this sounds kind of lame. Whatever. A lot of us here wish the Hocking hills stretched up into the Scioto valley. But they don't. And if you don't have time for a two hour round trip ride into the twisties, this is all we got.

Edited by DAC
  • Upvote 1

You turned off 33/257 just a half mile before a sweet stretch. Next time instead of turning off on Bean-Oller, just keep heading north across the 42 intersection onto Klondike. It's only about 3 miles but it's fairly twisty with hardly any traffic and nice river and forest scenery. Just take it easy the first pass or two - there are a few blind turns to learn and there can be gravel patches after rain. Once you get a good line down it's a blast.

If you turn left at the top on 36 and then make the first left after that (right after the bridge), that puts you on 257 south (I know, you were just on 257... if you look at the map it switches once you get to 42) and that leg is still somewhat twisty and fun. Not as much as Klondike, but it's much better maintained and has fewer blind turns. Make a left at the light onto 42 and you're back to where you started if you want to do it all over.

That's my local go-to loop if I'm short on time. Do two or three laps one way and turn it around to run it in the other direction.

And be aware that all lights on 42 hate motorcycles (at least they did last year when I was there last) so plan accordingly. Or just make it a clockwise loop only and be done with it.

I actually went again yesterday with some friends to do a bit more exploring and ended up taking Klondike all the way up. Nice stretch of road there, and I'm glad I know about it now. Instead of turning left on 36 though, we went right and then rode South past the quarry. Pretty cool scenery (I've never seen it before). We then took 42 into Delaware to grab a bite to eat, then shot down to 315 and back home. I'll definitely have to try the whole 257 loop sometime, thank you for pointing it out! Also, do you mean the lights don't like to change for us motorcycles?

And yes, there's only so many options for us "city folk." :(:p

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

@ 2tall, yeah, I'm sure this sounds kind of lame. Whatever. A lot of us here wish the Hocking hills stretched up into the Scioto valley. But they don't. And if you don't have time for a two hour round trip ride into the twisties, this is all we got.

And yes, there's only so many options for us "city folk." :(:p

I understand, just messin wit

Ya'll :D

• Upvote 1

Also, do you mean the lights don't like to change for us motorcycles?

Yeah, they just don't register. Even when I've had a buddy on another bike next to me and we're both over the sensor it doesn't change. I've made way too many forced rights at those signals.

Yeah, they just don't register. Even when I've had a buddy on another bike next to me and we're both over the sensor it doesn't change. I've made way too many forced rights at those signals.

I've heard of that happening but have never run into the problem myself yet. Good info though, I'll definitely keep that in mind. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...