Tires - DynaBeads

jd724

I bought a $20 Harbor freight wheel balancer, and I have the Honda weights that snap in and grip the wheel center spline, no fly off. Easy to do, and no extra wear on the tire where there was never designed to be wear.

don't hold me to this, But i believe for track days your required to use stick on weights, and have the weights taped with duct tape. 

No Magley I didn't take it that you were trying to talk me out of it. They way you do your tires sounds like a good option for me if I don't like the beads. As always, I appreciate all the feedback!

I have never looked into dynabeads, but from what I'm reading they would not work with a tube-tire anyway.

balancing and truing my wheels has led to a lot more confidence.  Is it just in my head?  Maybe. But riding is 50% between the ears anyway.

I guess I won't know til I try them but it probably won't be til my next set of tires. There are good arguments here for and against using them.  It does seem that they work but the question is do they work better than weights? Who knows for sure. It's like the old argument of what the best oil is.  It will probably be just a matter of personal preference and experience with them over time. My thing is that I'm not as skilled as a lot of you at wrenching on my bike...   yet. But it's time I start learning.  I will probably try a set of tires with beads then I might try my hand at balancing and see which works better for me. The goal is to be as self reliant as I can when it comes to keeping my bike on the road and running the way it should be. As always, I appreciate all the feedback!!

• 1 month later...

I've used them for 10k miles, the same beads. I mount my own tires and use a solo cup to extract them from the tire after I dis-mount it. I clean them up with water and install in new tires.

All of my riding is canyon/hard riding and they have held up well (no powder or noticeable inner tire wear). I've ordered enough to do my other rides now too.

Edited by dale-mac

I've been running them for about 5 or 6 yrs they work great. Ran them in my zx14 for about 25k miles even found $1.84 several times and probably around 100 passes at the drag strip and 16k miles so far on the vision always have nice even tire wear with no cupping.

The thing for people to see here is the ones talking negatively, bashing or plain saying they don't/can't work are the ones that have not/won't try them. Everyone that has tried them has nothing but good to say. They've been around for years and years if they didn't work they wouldn't still be here. They are used world wide and are used by multi million mile over the road semis etc. They work, some people are always going to be skeptic and stuck in old ways.

They are cheap, work 100% of the time, rebalance everytime you start moving, end user installable, reusable, no downside.

I have them in every tire I own and have had for years.

Actually super simple. Come I'm pre weighed bags with a fill bottle. Mount the tire, pour bag into bottle, hook bottle to valve stem, turn upside down and pour in.

Leave tire sideways when dismounting and they don't roll out

^this

Then use solo cup to retrieve beads and put in new tire. I weigh them before I put in new tire, so far I haven't lost enough to buy more

I've had them in my front tire for around 10k miles.  Have worked well.  My last rear tire change I went with Ride On though.  I can't be havin no ugly azz weights on my chrome shizz.

From Dunlop:

It is essential that tire/wheel assemblies be balanced before use and rebalanced each time the tire is removed or replaced. Unbalanced tire/wheel assemblies can vibrate at certain speeds, and tire wear will be greatly accelerated.

All Dunlop street tires should be installed with the balance dot at the valve. Wheels may be balanced with spoke nipple weights, lead wire or self-adhesive rim weights. Consult the motorcycle manufacturer for approved wheel weights.

Dunlop does not recommend the use of dry or liquid balancers/sealers and will not warrant tires into which these materials have been injected. Tire and wheel assembly balance must be checked with a balance stand or computer wheel balancer.

From Bridgestone:

whats not covered: basicly no tires filled with liquids or solids not in the tire from the tire manufacture

http://www.bridgestonemotorcycletires.com/addinfo/warranty.pdf

From Michelin:

"Michelin does not recommend the use of dry or liquid balancers/sealers or any other balancing materials. Tires and Tubes into which these have been injected will not be covered under warranty."

From Pirelli and Met:

"What's not covered:Tires injected with liquid balancer or sealant or in which anything other than air has been used as the support medium."

Regardless of the fact or fiction if they work, is it worth voiding the warranty of you tires? Why do these manufactures not "see" beads or other forms other than static/dynamic balancing? 

I feel that standard high-speed balancing is the best form of balancing. I have been around the motorcycle tire industry for a long time, I have seen it all and new methods come and go. Static and dynamic balancing remains the industry standard.