Back In The Dirt / and Wolverine rebuild thread

2talltim

Also got the parts i need for the brakes today and got those put on, so really shes ready to ride. The rest of the skid plates should be here tomorrow and i think i'd better order a set of front wheel bearings to have them on the shelf(the left one has some play in it.)

The other day i took it out for a test spin and the rear brake hung up and got hot so need to look into that again, but it seem to be working fine now but ill check it out anyway. After the test run i went ahead and tor into the front and took the spindles off and removed the old bearings i was kinda shocked by what i found. Someone had replaced the bearings befor but put in non sealed bearings and reused the dust seals...WTF?

Here is what i found.....(bearings still intact but dry as a bone and full of crude)

20140429_191038.jpg

Removed the plastic belly plate too(of course broke 2 bolts off)and got the new one in the mail yesterday.I should have the new bearings tomorrow and get her all wrapped up again this weekend.

I would have gone and bought a new ATV by now. ;)

I probably still on top by $500 ish, and now a i have one that has a ton of new parts. Plus i rather enjoy working on things and my son has been helping me and learning a lot. I gave $2300 for it with the plow, there are higher mileage ones listed on CL for $3200-$3500 with out a plow. To date with all that ive bought i have about $2900 invested i would venture to say with the plow mine is worth around $3500. So i am still happy with my purchase.

Edited by 2talltim

Just giving ya heck buddy, I like projects too and you are going to have a sweet ride very soon that I have no doubt you will enjoy.

I know your were but a couple others have questioned my motives

Got the bearings installed today, i love the put the bearings in the freezer trick makes the job so much easier. Took the rear brake back off and re lubed the slide and re bleed it everything seems ok now.

Hit a bit of a FNAFU with the FnF skid plates.(two SNAFU's actually). First one was with the A arm plates the directions said to use the 3/4" clamps and all i had were 1.5" clamps. Then i noticed the directions also said the belly plate was supposed to have 8 mounting holes and mine only had 6. So i called the dude, and he agreed someone fucked up and is going to send me the correct clamps and a whole new skid plate. So if anyone wants the other one ill give it away i honestly dont know what else it will fit but you would have to drill the missing mounting holes for it. Said he will get it out first thing monday and i hope i get it by Thursday, if not i guess ill put the plastic one back on for next weekend.

Just going to look like a stock Wolverine 450 with a pipe and skid plates..LOL..really wish i could clean up the frame and suspention more but that would require extensive tear down and time, not really worth it to run through the mud.