WTB- Honda XR100 or CRF100 for OMRL!

2.slow

So, we've got a bit of an issue. During practice today, I managed to break 13 rear spokes. No crashes or impacts, no potholes or curbs.

I replaced 11 spokes when I bought the bike a few weeks ago.

My current theories are either:

A. I had the spokes improperly tensioned after I installed the new spokes. (Likely)

B. At 250 lbs, I've simply exceeded the capacity of the stock wheel design.

Something is not right. I know a lot of 200+ guys who don't break the XR spokes. I crashed mine hard and only broke 3. 13 is insane.

JB has a spoke torque wrench. My guess is yours were either too loose, or your hub is off-center, causing mild hop. That's basically like slamming the wheel into the ground every rotation.

I don't want to ask dumb questions, but are you certain you put the spokes on the proper side of the hub? The offset on the hub side is different for right versus left.

Edited by redkow97

They vary right versus left? From the fiche I thought they varied inside of hub to outside..... Sounds like a culprit right there...

The wheel was true enough, within the 2mm spec for runout I found.

The torque wrench would be very good for confidence in setting their tension.

I was also looking into a big spoke kit, but if it was a setup problem, stock spokes are much cheaper.

I may be describing it poorly. If you're aware of the different offsets, that was what I was referring to.

Are they breaking uniformly at the hub, or randomly in different places on the spoke?

Then I did lace it correctly. They are breaking uniformly at the hub. What is that a sign of? Insufficient tension?

The cause is probably too loose.  Once you add some new spokes you should be able to "play them" like a harp.  Tap each once with a screwdriver and you should hear a "ting"... if you hear a "thud" or dead sound it's probably too loose.  I can try and remember to bring my spoke torque wrench to the next race and check your rear wheel out.

Try and find yourself a milk crate or build a wood box to set your bike on in the pits.... 

It's collapsing slightly, so I'm going to keep an eye on it, or reinforce it.

I made a small wooden stand that has (knock on wood) worked pretty well.  it fits inside JB's crate nicely for transport too.  I probably over-built it, but I figure that's better than the alternative.  take a look in a couple of weeks.

I just laced up my new hoop with (some) new spokes and a different hub.

let me know if you want some tips.  It's a bit of a puzzle, and doing things in the proper order would have saved me a TON of time and frustration.

I've seen some good lacing videos online, so I hope that's enough to be dangerous.

hahaha - good luck.  It's really not very hard once you realize how you need to do it, but I made a lot of errors getting to that point.

the biggest thing is to make sure your "inside" spokes are under the "outside" spokes before you start actually inserting the spokes into the nipples.

Then there are some tricky issues with the shorter spokes, because the spacing on the hub is so close to even that you can't tell which way they are meant to angle.  ...You'll see what I mean!

link to the fiche and list me the part number.  I have a misc lot of parts that I bought on eBay when I needed an axle adjuster, and the new part was going to cost as much as the lot the seller had up for sale.

There's all kinds of crap in there...  I'll look tonight, but I want to be sure what I'm looking for.