Oil Change for a 2012 Triumph Daytona 675

katanafreak

When I worked as a service tech at a Honda dealership, I always replaced the crush washer. I don't always when doing my own oil changes, just because I forget to pick one up. I've never had a leak though. I was much better at remembering when it came to customer vehicles;  didn't want to take any chances when it came to another person's car. 

Edited by KZ Kari

Ok so as embarrassing as this is, Will someone help me with an oil change lol. I am about as mechanically stupid as you can get. I just never thought working on cars and what not was interesting so I never learned how. I have always took the bike to a dealership for work and maintenance. Last time I took it to a shop they f*cked it all up and had to get a lot redone over a long time. I got a free track suit out of it, but still lost the bike for awhile. Would anyone be willing to help me do just minor maintenance stuff? Like oil changes and I would love to set the spring up for me. Let me know! I have lots of alcohol and still have a lot of xmas ale. If hard liquor is your thing, I am stocked on that as well! lol. Thanks!

It's too bad you don't live closer to Toledo, I work for free and have a garage full of tools. I'm wondering what the dealership could have possibly screwed up on such a new bike. Care to share?

if i can do it, you can do it. for serial, the triumph has to be one of the easiest bikes on earth to do an oil changes on, unlike that god fucking awful kawi zx6r. god, that was just the worst.

Like the zx10 I'd assume. Couldn't do it without getting oil on the header. I used to wrap it all in foil before removing the oil filter so I didn't have to smell it for the next several hours of riding.

Yes. Every time. I also use a torque wrench on the drain plug. I'm not a shitty hack. ;)

Good thing you are not a shitty hack, those torque wrenches are a good way to strip your threads. Hand tighten with a box end wrench and no stinking crush washer for this hack, has worked beautifully on every bike I have owned. :)

This thread is a prime example of what is wrong with America. 'I don't need a crush washer, it never leaks'. 'I don't need a torque wrench, I've never stripped a drain plug.' Let me rephrase those statements, 'I am going to do the least amount of work to get the job done and take no pride in what I do.'  This is why the rest of the world is kicking our butts in manufacturing. Bet if you people did this for a living you would still reuse crush washers and not torque it and want 50 bucks an hour, 4 weeks vacation, retirement and free healthcare.  BTW, the crush washer is a very important part of the torque process, contrary to what seems to be the common opinion here it's primary purpose isn't just to prevent leaks. It's part of a proper torque.

Meanwhile, have we heard from the OP again? Seems he still needs an oil change and there are lots of us willing to help.

Edited by Tonik
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This thread is a prime example of what is wrong with America. 'I don't need a crush washer, it never leaks'. 'I don't need a torque wrench, I've never stripped a drain plug.' Let me rephrase those statements, 'I am going to do the least amount of work to get the job done and take no pride in what I do.' This is why the rest of the world is kicking our butts in manufacturing. Bet if you people did this for a living you would still reuse crush washers and not torque it and want 50 bucks an hour, 4 weeks vacation, retirement and free healthcare. BTW, the crush washer is a very important part of the torque process, contrary to what seems to be the common opinion here it's primary purpose isn't just to prevent leaks. It's part of a proper torque.

Meanwhile, have we heard from the OP again? Seems he still needs an oil change and there are lots of us willing to help.

TL;DR. Busy sucking my oil out thru the dipstick tube.
  • Upvote 1

Be careful, he will chase your bitch ass off his quality American made lawn with a quality digital torque wrench and a swarm of carefully labeled and categorized crush washers sailing at your hack face

• Upvote 2

Be careful, he will chase your bitch ass off his quality American made lawn with a quality digital torque wrench and a swarm of carefully labeled and categorized crush washers sailing at your hack face

Oh yeah?

I will retaliate by stealthily taking out his carefully torqued and crush washered drain bolt, and replace it with a tampon, then fill the crankcase with Dollar General 10w-30.

Sorry I have not posted sooner to this thread,... honestly I didn't expect to log on and see three pages of responses lol. I have been stuck working the last few days so I apologize not responding sooner. The dealership near me wanted $131 for an oil change, screw that! I still need to change it, where's the best place to pick up the stuff I need? And I did not expect so many people to offer to help! thank you all so much! This is what makes this site and riders in general such a great group of folks!

I always got me oil at the dealer. oil filter and crush washer. unless your a hack. then no crush washer..hahaha

In my opinion if you cant watch a youtube video and figure it out id be really surprised. but there are lots of people willing to help. Im a little far away.

• Upvote 1

Sorry I have not posted sooner to this thread,... honestly I didn't expect to log on and see three pages of responses lol. I have been stuck working the last few days so I apologize not responding sooner. The dealership near me wanted $131 for an oil change, screw that! I still need to change it, where's the best place to pick up the stuff I need? And I did not expect so many people to offer to help! thank you all so much! This is what makes this site and riders in general such a great group of folks!

Get the filter and crush washer at the parts counter at the dealer. Get the oil at your corner auto part store, it will be cheaper. Make sure it is for Motorcycles and the same weight as what your manual suggests. I would assume 10W-40. You can go synthetic and get longer miles between oil changes, or you can get old fashioned regular oil which is cheaper but needs to be changed more often. Really depends on how many miles you do a summer.  I use synthetic because I do a ton of miles each year, but if you are only going to do 3 or 4 thousand a season then old fashioned oil is the way to go.

Damn, this just turned into an oil thread now.

Get the filter and crush washer at the parts counter at the dealer. Get the oil at your corner auto part store, it will be cheaper. Make sure it is for Motorcycles and the same weight as what your manual suggests. I would assume 10W-40. You can go synthetic and get longer miles between oil changes, or you can get old fashioned regular oil which is cheaper but needs to be changed more often. Really depends on how many miles you do a summer.  I use synthetic because I do a ton of miles each year, but if you are only going to do 3 or 4 thousand a season then old fashioned oil is the way to go.

Damn, this just turned into an oil thread now.

Psh. I use 5w40 in the 650. I guess I'm a hack, maybe I'd use 10w40 if I lived somewhere warmer

• Upvote 1