Local Custom Paint Mixer?

Blitz

Anyone know where I can get custom paint mixed and put into an aerosol can in Columbus....or Ohio?

I'm painting my seat cowl and front fender. I tried Color Rite and I'm not happy with the color match, which is pretty pitiful considering their name.

The problem with converting a automotive style paint into an aerosol is that it requires extremely over reducing the color to make the viscosity thin enough to spray through an aerosol can. Youll never achive a true color match with an aerosol based product. if you need any help feel free to send me a pm

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Tonik. I actually found this method through the Napa paint guy here in Mt. Vernon. Decided to give it a try and so far, so good. I have the base down and it actually doesn't look too bad.

Color Rite called back today and admitted the white base coat they gave me was too blue, which is exactly what I thought. They're going to give me a refund, minus 20% for the can of top coat. Not a perfect solution, but better than nothing.

Thanks for the offer Attack Painter. I really wanted to do the painting myself,to try to get some experience with it. Up to this point, it feels like I bit off a little more than I can chew, but I don't give up easily. If I really mess things up, I'll give you a holler. And I'll definitely keep you in mind the next time I have a project like this.

But regarding the reducer ratio, the Deltron PPG paint I got required a 1:1 mix and I achieved sprayable paint with this ratio through the Preval system. It's not a spray gun, but for the DIYer, I think it's the best thing available and the results seem to be sufficient. And it's pretty damn cheap.

Thanks Tonik. I actually found this method through the Napa paint guy here in Mt. Vernon. Decided to give it a try and so far, so good. I have the base down and it actually doesn't look too bad.

Color Rite called back today and admitted the white base coat they gave me was too blue, which is exactly what I thought. They're going to give me a refund, minus 20% for the can of top coat. Not a perfect solution, but better than nothing.

Thanks for the offer Attack Painter. I really wanted to do the painting myself,to try to get some experience with it. Up to this point, it feels like I bit off a little more than I can chew, but I don't give up easily. If I really mess things up, I'll give you a holler. And I'll definitely keep you in mind the next time I have a project like this.

But regarding the reducer ratio, the Deltron PPG paint I got required a 1:1 mix and I achieved sprayable paint with this ratio through the Preval system. It's not a spray gun, but for the DIYer, I think it's the best thing available and the results seem to be sufficient. And it's pretty damn cheap.

Very glad to hear it, and I agree. They are a step up from a regular spray bomb.

Quick question Tonik. I'm having some lifting of the base in just a couple spots. I primered the fender, and it's going on great in all but three places. In these places it looks like egg shell crackle or alligator skin. I read that it's most likely contamination, like grease or oils.

Any experience with this? What's the best solution? Use wax and grease remover even though that will remove the base and primer too? Under the primer is scuffed clear, which the base should adhere to. Or sand the shit out of that area and re-spray? Or any better idea?