Clear Coat Questions

imagineer

Questions for any experienced body work or paint persons out there . . . 

I don't like shiny and I am thinking spraying the painted parts on my black Suzuki C90 with matte clear.   I'm thinking of using Duplicolor Paint Shop Finish System BSP307, Matte Clear. 

I’m looking for a wash and wear finish that doesn’t call for wax.

The gloss paint on my bike is in decent shape, but could use a good buffing (lots of tiny scratches). Last winter I painted the batwing, rear fender, hard bags and trunk. The tank and side covers and front fender are all OEM paint. 

Question 1: Is the Duplicolor paint shop line OK, or is there a better or recommended matte clear coat that is proven tough?

Question 2: Should I wet sand or scuff pad the painted surfaces to prepare for the clear coat. If wet sanding is the better approach, what grit?

Duplicolor is 1979 technology. It is still a laquer based product and offers no uv or stone chip protection. If you want the job to last and hold up you will need a 2 part clear with a flattening agent built in. I can reccomend a few if need be or i could paint it for less than you could buy the product

Duplicolor is 1979 technology. It is still a laquer based product and offers no uv or stone chip protection. If you want the job to last and hold up you will need a 2 part clear with a flattening agent built in. I can reccomend a few if need be or i could paint it for less than you could buy the product

I may take you up on that offer.   Can you ballpark a price to shoot semi-gloss clear on a set of tins?
Batwing fairing
Front and Rear Fender
Side Covers
Gas Tank Side Covers
Mutazu Trunk
Hard side bags

I'd bring you all the parts off the bike and pre-scuffed.

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting to hear on a price.   The forum is not letting you receive PMs and your email link doesn't work either.

Edited by imagineer