Cost of a furnace?

redkow97

I have a 25/15 rule. If repairs are 25% of a new unit and unit is 15+ years or older I recommend a new unit. Older units will nickel and dime you to death once parts start breaking. Im not a salesman im a service tech.

As far as oil burner go I recommend doing a duel fuel system. Heat pump with oil burner back up. Heat pumps are only efficient down to about 30 degrees, with a duel fuel kit you can set up the system to run how ever you want normally heat pump only until 35 degrees and oil (or any secondary heat electric, gas, oil....) at 30 degree. With a heat pump system added to your oil you would save a minimum 30% on your oil bill a year.

So you're recommending a heat pump for someone in NEO where we just had 3 months of sub 30 degree weather?

90% of people around here use natural gas. And oil is just plain damn expensive. And could you imagine the cost after this winter?

So you're recommending a heat pump for someone in NEO where we just had 3 months of sub 30 degree weather?

The largest High School in Ohio, where I happen to work, is heated and cooled with heat pumps. It worked just fine all winter long. Saving you taxpayers boatloads of money.

The key word in what I wrote was efficient, technically you can still get heat out of the air down to -40. I'm also going off bare minimum 13 seer heat pumps. Carrier has a heat pump that will efficiently heat down to 10 degrees. So yes if you have a fuel oil or propane furnace I highly recommend a heat pump system

90% of people around here use natural gas. And oil is just plain damn expensive. And could you imagine the cost after this winter?

Is it a ground sourced system?

As in our heat pump system does it's thing underground?  Yes, we have crap loads of really deep holes in the ground where it all does it's magic. Not trying to dodge your question...I'm a computer guy not a heating and cooling guy.  :)

The largest High School in Ohio, where I happen to work, is heated and cooled with heat pumps. It worked just fine all winter long. Saving you taxpayers boatloads of money.

I don't know how but mine does fine bellow zero. Never kicks the elements on.

As in our heat pump system does it's thing underground?  Yes, we have crap loads of really deep holes in the ground where it all does it's magic. Not trying to dodge your question...I'm a computer guy not a heating and cooling guy.   :)

Sounds like a geothermal, which is a different type of system.  

My less efficient heat pump stops doing its thing at about 42 degrees and the system switches over to propane.   My neighbors heat pump is reportedly more effecient and runs all.  of.  the.  time.  when its below 20 degrees or so.  Most of these systems are quiet (the outside unit, that is), but theirs must have been damaged in shipping cuz it clangs and bangs like its coming apart.   Its on our side of their house, and away from their living area, so they don't hear it.   Sorry, needed to vent. 

For 4-5k I can install a new high efficiency furnace and AC. I could do a 93% furnace for around $2500. Chris I can answer any questions you have. Call me 614-381-8413

I've bugged ^ this guy pretty regularly. Great guy. Always willing to give his input and thoughts. He's also done some work at my house and did wonderful.