Sport Quad Advice

shadyone

Im thinking of trading the Cr250 for a sport quad. Might change my mind this spring but I feel like I could ride a quad more often.  got a decent yard and a few friends that have farm land close. plus I dont have a title for my 250 so I cant take it to Wayne or Perry. 

Looking at 450. Whats the good and bads of the TRX LTR YFZs. are any really any better or worse than others. 

I used to have an '06 YFZ 450 SE.  It was a fun machine that would absolutely fly on the trails, although it was most at home on a track.  Really, for me not having reverse wasnt a big deal because it was so light.

As for which 450 is the best, really theyre all great but Id have to say that the TRX450R and YFZ450 are just a bit better than the rest.  You may also want to consider a, "trail" sport quad like the Raptor or TRX400X/TRX250.  They still offer something that is just as much fun to ride on trails but isnt a full-on race quad.  The 450s are great but the engine maintenance costs on them can be kind of expensive, whereas with a trail sport quad, most of them have lower performance engines that will just about run forever as long as you change the oil on a regular basis.

You should buy my Z400. :D

In my very biased opinion it's one of the best sport quads for trail riding. Reverse is nice, maintenance is easier than the 450's, and a watercooled engine is nice for long rides on hot days. (Are the trx400's still air cooled???)

Plus with the right mods a z400 will keep up with most 450's. And mine has all the right mods. It's not quite ready to sell yet but it should be by spring.

Personally, Id go with a Honda TRX400X if it were me.  Its basically a 400EX with different plastic, which means you could ride it every day as hard as you want and it would still run forever.

I used to have a buddy who had a 400EX with an MX suspension and he thought it was cool to hit rev limiter all the time and he still never managed to blow it up.  After that, he had a KFX400 that he tried to do the same with and the motor was blown up within 6 months.

The Hondas are super reliable. But I've owned a 400EX and a Z400 (same as the kfx400) and I'd take the Z400. It has a lot more get up and go than the Honda, and if you don't bounce it off the rev limiter like a moron they'll last forever too.

Edited by TRMN8TR

The Hondas are super reliable. But I've owned a 400EX and a Z400 (same as the kfx400) and I'd take the Z400. It has a lot more get up and go than the Honda, and if you don't bounce it off the rev limiter like a moron they'll last forever too.

My buddy was a moron, I'll give you that.  Needless to say, he became one of those, "friends" whose number you somehow manage to lose after a while.

Edited by Bakemono

I'm thinking of selling my 03 400ex.  Super clean with very low hours.  All stock, except rear tires and bars.  Original plastics, front tires, seat, graphics, etc...Let me know if interested.

post-13259-0-77868000-1393339686_thumb.j

Edited by Ron505

I purchased a "gently used" Z400 last year and I love it. That being said if you do plan on buying one, get detaled service history. Z400's are notorious for cheap OEM valves (dont believe me google Z400 wont start) Shortly after I bought it (one ride) it would not start when trying to unload off the truck. After some reasearch and a top end rebuild the thing is a beast! If buying used and the previous owner has had to adjust the valves, I would plan on replacing them soon. I put kibblewhite valves in mine. Parts for the rebuild ran about 5-600 but that included new cam chain, piston and rings as well as the valves. Love the quad but watch out if a used one is hard starting, it will need valves. Cant go wrong with a Honda, but my Z is faster than Max's 400EX :)

• Upvote 2

I purchased a "gently used" Z400 last year and I love it. That being said if you do plan on buying one, get detaled service history. Z400's are notorious for cheap OEM valves (dont believe me google Z400 wont start) Shortly after I bought it (one ride) it would not start when trying to unload off the truck. After some reasearch and a top end rebuild the thing is a beast! If buying used and the previous owner has had to adjust the valves, I would plan on replacing them soon. I put kibblewhite valves in mine. Parts for the rebuild ran about 5-600 but that included new cam chain, piston and rings as well as the valves. Love the quad but watch out if a used one is hard starting, it will need valves. Cant go wrong with a Honda, but my Z is faster than Max's 400EX :)

Is that the OR whore of quads? Just like Pokey owns the OR whore of bikes.

TRMN8TR.. what kind of price can I expect this spring. Id really like to trade almost straight or sell and buy for little money. PM me if you want or post it up.

I do like the ltz400 and 400 450 trxs.

I haven't really determined a price, but I'm thinking in the $2800 range. It has a LOT of extras that I know I'll never get the money for, but it's way above and beyond your average Z400. The only negative about it is the plastics do show some wear, a small crack and some scratches. Not trying to turn this into my for sale thread, but here's a short list of recent mods/maintenance. It's been ridden maybe three times since all this was done.

Full Yoshi exhaust, Hot Cams, FCR 39 flat slide carb from a yzf450, new needle/jets, new kibblewhite valves, new valve springs, new cam chain, new piston/rings, DRZe base gasket to raise compression, every bearing/bushing in the entire frame was replaced, new chain/sprockets, new front pads/wave rotors, stainless brake lines, AStar +1 length a arms, ITP Baja wheels (front wheels are 4/1 offset instead of stock 3/2 basically cancelling out the +1 a arms), ITP Holeshot HD 6ply tires, Armadillo swingarm skid plate, and on and on. Here's a couple pics during the teardown and rebuild:

IMAG0337.jpg

IMAG0338.jpg

IMAG0335.jpg

IMAG0343.jpg

You are 100% right. I had to replace my valves after the 2nd ride. Went the Kibblewhite route as well.

If you had a title for that 250, we may be able to work a deal.  But since your screen name is shadyone, and you don't have a title, i think i'll pass...lol

That is one nice 400ex Ron. 

And hell we can whore this thread out as the official Sport quad for sale thread. I dont care its my thread I can do what I want. 

I am still working on getting a title. I have a buddy that may be able to get the original owners name off the vin. If its even been titled. Then I would love to work out a deal. 

I dont remember if I ever posted pictures of it when I got done rebuilding everything. I actually traded it from Hellmutt on here. It was a complete basket case. He already had all new bottom end insides so it was a piece of cake. I made one mistake and that was not getting a new piston. He had just put a new one in when the bottom let go and he tore it down. thing looked almost new except for some carbon on top that i cleaned right off. I put new rings in it and it ran for about 20 hours before I lean seized it. not really the pistons fault but wouldnt have hurt. I have a new piston waiting to go in it now. i repainted the frame and it has newer UFO plastics. It also has a almost a whole second bottom end to go along with it and new tires front and back. an extra cylinder that would need replated now that I melted a piston in it. but it runs like a raped ape. And after the initial start it always started 2-3 kick.

Ill see if i can get some pictures. 

EDIT FOR PICTURE ADDITION:

This first picture is how I received it. couple cardboard boxes 2 totes and some misc. parts. haha.

c50f74f9.jpg

1dd75c65.jpg

f1a11b26.jpg

3149fa07.jpg

98c878d2.jpg

dirtbike.jpg

\

first ride across town to my dads to show him it ran.

Sorry for the shitty pics cell phone.

Edited by shadyone

yea yea I know it was hot and I thought for sure it was going to die half way there and id be pushing. it didnt. plus it was my first ride, very tentitive is an under statement.. could ride faster on a bicycle. although I still had a big shit grin the whole time.