Weight loss/ lifting/ dieting thread

rawlins87

On 1/5/2018 at 8:31 AM, JustinNck1 said:

Chest is always what gets me. I never get too sore on arms, back or legs.

If you don't get sore after a let workout, you're doing it wrong.  Rising out of a chair 2 days after legs should make you cry.

On 1/5/2018 at 8:51 AM, motocat12 said:

Went snowboarding last night. Hardly any falls but deep soreness this morning. Their "lifts" and a board hanging off one foot add joints to the muscle

Secret technique - rest the loose end of the board on top of your loose foot. If the lift has foot rests, rest the loose end on the foot rest. 

Also, down 12lbs in the last 7 days. Alternating 700 and 1000 calories per day drops pounds fast when your maintenance intake is 2800. Gonna stick to this for another week or 2 then sit at around 1200-1500 daily for the rest of winter and spring. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, DAC said:

If you don't get sore after a let workout, you're doing it wrong.  Rising out of a chair 2 days after legs should make you cry.

I think this is relative to each persons fitness level and recovery rate.  When I started Crossfit, I was really sore for 3-4 days....but the longer I've done it, the faster my muscle groups recover.  I'll workout until my legs shake and I'm barely able to stand, the difference now is that my stamina is slowly improving as well as how quickly I get past the sore stage.  Obviously stretching and foam rolling the pain away makes a big difference too.

I doubt that I'll ever reach a point to where I won't hurt the day after a heavy workout; if so, then I obviously didn't do enough...but feeling good enough to get back in the gym on the 2nd day shows me the improvements are coming slowly but surely.

I'm losing weight still but pretty much stopped working out... Work, school, laziness prevents me from doing it... I'm down 6lb in 2wks though just from cleaner eating and portion control.... I'm hoping I can keep losing without working out, or else I'll have to start ?

I'm down to 244... My all time high was 320 and I haven't been under 260 since high school until last year sometime... Goal is 220 then re-assess

Edited by Steve Butters
  • Upvote 1

I'm trying really hard to stay off the scale. Going to take my once a week weigh in down to once a month. Found myself obsessing over the number. I would get to feeling better and cloths fitting better then have a disappointing number then try change things again. So that's it only weigh ins ill do is the first weekend of the month. Last time on the scale was around Christmas and it said 247 fully clothed.  

• Upvote 1

On 1/8/2018 at 9:01 PM, DAC said:

I don't get sore very often, but I do more cardio. I am still working on proper form before adding a bunch of weights. 

Well I signed up for a personal trainer several weeks ago and gave it a couple weeks. When I signed up we talked about my back and what i could and could not do and he said "yea we can work around that" Well at the end of the first week my back was back really hurting and he wasnt really taking these workouts in to consideration of what i was telling him. So again expressed my concerns and he just kept telling me to suck it up and push through. Well in my opinion that was the wrong answer. My back it back to feeling the way it was 3 months ago and that's not where I want to be. So I cut the ties with him. Super disappointed in the whole thing. But the good news is this has kick started me to back what  was doing a year ago and I have my daily diet and cravings dealt with. So I'm back on track for sure. 

Still going to stick to the once a month weigh in and that will be in a couple weeks. 

• Beer 1

17 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Well I signed up for a personal trainer several weeks ago and gave it a couple weeks. When I signed up we talked about my back and what i could and could not do and he said "yea we can work around that" Well at the end of the first week my back was back really hurting and he wasnt really taking these workouts in to consideration of what i was telling him. So again expressed my concerns and he just kept telling me to suck it up and push through. Well in my opinion that was the wrong answer. My back it back to feeling the way it was 3 months ago and that's not where I want to be. So I cut the ties with him. Super disappointed in the whole thing. But the good news is this has kick started me to back what  was doing a year ago and I have my daily diet and cravings dealt with. So I'm back on track for sure. 

Still going to stick to the once a month weigh in and that will be in a couple weeks. 

That sucks to pay for that expertise and the trainer doesn't do right by you.  I guess sometimes you don't get what you pay for.

All of our Cross fit coaches have been nothing short of excellent.  They always make sure to modify our movements/weights according to our progression and abilities, as well as ask how we're feeling on a regular basis.  Wish you lived closer man, I'm sure you'd appreciate this gym

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Helmutt said:

That sucks to pay for that expertise and the trainer doesn't do right by you.  I guess sometimes you don't get what you pay for.

All of our Cross fit coaches have been nothing short of excellent.  They always make sure to modify our movements/weights according to our progression and abilities, as well as ask how we're feeling on a regular basis.  Wish you lived closer man, I'm sure you'd appreciate this gym

That was another thing too, he thew us(me and the wife) right into the deep end. Day one work out was what I'd call a amature athlete work out not for novices or beginners at all. And Monday of this week he had us do what he called an endurance check and everyone I showed it to even seasoned trainers and athletes said they would die if they did that. And it wasn't "do what you can "it was "finish it, even if it takes you 2 hours"

He would give me a workout on a thursday night to do at home that would completely fry a set of muscles then give me moves to work them again the next morning at the gym that hit the same ones. Basically telling me to do 100 lunges on a morning that I can barley walk from the work out the night before. 

Burpees kill my back and I told him that after I gave them a solid try in one work out. He says okay. The very next days work out, "give me 5 rounds of 10 burpees". I didn't even know what to say.  

27 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

That was another thing too, he thew us(me and the wife) right into the deep end. Day one work out was what I'd call a amature athlete work out not for novices or beginners at all. And Monday of this week he had us do what he called an endurance check and everyone I showed it to even seasoned trainers and athletes said they would die if they did that. And it wasn't "do what you can "it was "finish it, even if it takes you 2 hours"

He would give me a workout on a thursday night to do at home that would completely fry a set of muscles then give me moves to work them again the next morning at the gym that hit the same ones. Basically telling me to do 100 lunges on a morning that I can barley walk from the work out the night before. 

Burpees kill my back and I told him that after I gave them a solid try in one work out. He says okay. The very next days work out, "give me 5 rounds of 10 burpees". I didn't even know what to say.  

You should talk to the management of wherever you did this and ask for your money back. 

From what I understand, personal trainers don't have to be certified or trained in any way so they don't always know best.  

I'm only down 2lbs this week with no change of routine or diet. I think I'm at a plateau, should push through it by next week hopefully. 

Edited by what
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

Yeah, that's BS man.  He should've had you guys try some maneuvers to show your technique, then critique from there and modify your workouts to season you into longer rounds/reps.  Our coach is an Olympic trained instructor, so he's well versed in proper ways to NOT do damage.  Sounds like your trainer was just after a paycheck

4 hours ago, what said:

You should talk to the management of wherever you did this and ask for your money back. 

From what I understand, personal trainers don't have to be certified or trained in any way so they don't always know best.  

I'm only down 2lbs this week with no change of routine or diet. I think I'm at a plateau, should push through it by next week hopefully. 

Management, trainer, owner...all the same guy.

My wife is going to continue working with him she's just going to tell him the back off. He is agreed to give her credit for the monies that we paid for me. His demeanor has discouraged me to the point I felt like not completing. My wife said she's going to struggle through it. Plus it helps that she doesn't have a fucked-up back.

Funny how this weekend I was going to do a cheat day but it really didn't really happen.

I did have a few beers Saturday night but still kept calories below 2200 for the day. And Sunday I has some bacon and eggs for breakfast and fried chicken and taters for dinner but still kept my calories under 2400 for the day. So felling good and noticing visual changes too. One more week to my monthly weigh in.

• Casper unpinned this topic