Weight loss/ lifting/ dieting thread

rawlins87

I too am falling short a few pounds of my 249 goal that I wanted to be by Sunday but at least I've lost enough to fit more comfortably in to this suit. Granted I've been super lazy outside of playing softball and not as strict with the calories/diet so not shocked I fell short. 

• 3 weeks later...

So apparently eating and drinking whatever you want on a 10 day motorcycle trip is not healthy.:lol:

I gained 5 pounds back up to 230 when I weighed on Sunday. After drinking alot of water and a good workout Monday, I am back to 226. It was a rough workout since I haven't done cardio in almost 2 weeks.

1 hour ago, JustinNck1 said:

So apparently eating and drinking whatever you want on a 10 day motorcycle trip is not healthy.:lol:

I gained 5 pounds back up to 230 when I weighed on Sunday. After drinking alot of water and a good workout Monday, I am back to 226. It was a rough workout since I haven't done cardio in almost 2 weeks.

I actually lost 4 lbs on that trip, 7 before rehydrating.

• 2 weeks later...

I've pretty much held steady but have been lifting like a beast and know I've put on muscle. People keep telling me I'm looking thinner though the scale says no, so I must be offsetting fat with muscle. Yay for me. I've started cycling again too which is a nice change of pace from walking/running. I plan on riding ~ 50 miles Saturday morning.

I'm going to have surgery on my Achilles in Sept so I'm trying to get in the best shape possible before then - especially my legs, My calves are really growing which is a shame because the one will certainly experience a fair amount of atrophy given I'll be non-weight bearing for 6-8 weeks.

The down side is, all of this time spent at the gym or outdoors exercising is really cutting into my riding time. I still only have about ~1700mi on the new beemer. :nono:

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good man!

I ran my own personal 5K today...farthest I've run in a long time. Never been a big running fan but it gets results for me. Starting to drop more weight and getting pretty damn strong from hitting the weights a lot...got 330 up on the bench yesterday though that much weight is tough on my old shoulders. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Our insurance started an annual health assessment for discounts and got the results back the day we got home from vacation. Although I knew this to be the case, it didn't hit home until I saw the words "grossly overweight" in writing and some other issues that could be cropping up because of it.

So it's time to not just diet but commit to a bit of a lifestyle modification to get long term results. I know I'll fail if I try to do too much at once so it's baby steps for right now.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bad324 said:

Our insurance started an annual health assessment for discounts and got the results back the day we got home from vacation. Although I knew this to be the case, it didn't hit home until I saw the words "grossly overweight" in writing and some other issues that could be cropping up because of it.

So it's time to not just diet but commit to a bit of a lifestyle modification to get long term results. I know I'll fail if I try to do too much at once so it's baby steps for right now.

Our work has been doing that for a long time, but they word it nicer. "BMI between 25-29.9 may mean you are over weight. Over 30 exposes you to risk such as...."

As much as they try to push health here and discounts for being healthy, most employees are overweight. We had a town hall meeting last year where our CEO basically told us that we are all a bunch of fat asses and it's costing the company too much in health care. 

1 hour ago, ludwb675 said:

Our work has been doing that for a long time, but they word it nicer. "BMI between 25-29.9 may mean you are over weight. Over 30 exposes you to risk such as...."

As much as they try to push health here and discounts for being healthy, most employees are overweight. We had a town hall meeting last year where our CEO basically told us that we are all a bunch of fat asses and it's costing the company too much in health care. 

Since it's through my wifes work they only required her to do it. This year they now added in anyone over the age of 18 insured on the plan. Soo although we still get the discount seeing the words in writing along with raising the concern of some other genetic issues I'm at risk for due to my current status sure helped light a fire under my ass

Edited by Bad324

I don't know if it was the moving, packing, or the new climate, or all of the above.... but I dropped from 178 to 151. Now doing pushups, sit-ups, and squat thrusts to try and get some back. Maybe bicycle, hiking, swimming, or sprints coming up.

btw, BMI ratings have gotten downright mean. 145 is lean and perfectly normal for me. BMI ratings think I should be a notch lower than that, like 129... I don't think so.

• Upvote 1

I ran my own personal 5k for the 4th time in 2 weeks after work today. Was damn hot but I averaged just under 10.5 min/mi which isn't too bad for an old guy who has severe tendonitis in his Achilles that will be surgically repaired in September! I've never liked running much but it gets results...

• Upvote 1

I'm down about 18 lbs since the beginning of the year. 10lbs of calorie counting, which sucked, and 8 lbs of keto diet, which is awesome. Keto diet has been giving me way better sleep and also cleared up my skin. I did it originally as a test to see what my distance running would look like, but it's done great things for me so I will probably stick to it.

• Upvote 1

Keto/low carb diet worked great for me before. When I tried it last year, I just couldn't do it anymore. I would eat a big steak, some salad, veggies - a good amount of food and walk away with my stomach growling. It just wasn't satisfying anymore. That said, I've recently cut the number of carbs I'm eating but nothing like before. Last time I was eating <40g of carbs per day (subtracting out the fiber).

4 minutes ago, ScubaCinci said:

Keto/low carb diet worked great for me before. When I tried it last year, I just couldn't do it anymore. I would eat a big steak, some salad, veggies - a good amount of food and walk away with my stomach growling. It just wasn't satisfying anymore. That said, I've recently cut the number of carbs I'm eating but nothing like before. Last time I was eating <40g of carbs per day (subtracting out the fiber).

I eat a lot of fat.  That's what keeps you full.  Lots of bacon, butter, cheese, avocado... 

I know, I chowed on bacon and ribs (no sauce) when I was doing low carb and the weight came off. It's crazy. In the 80's it was FAT MAKES YOU FAT!!! STOP EATING FAT!!! So they took out the fat and replaced it with sugar and everyone got fat :nono::lol:

• Upvote 4

• Casper unpinned this topic