Weight loss/ lifting/ dieting thread

rawlins87

Health living=happy people

What's everyone's goals this year?

Use this thread to update, post lifting PR's, and general comments/questions.

As for me Starting today 8 weeks out from another PL meet. April 19th NASA Powersports

Edited by 2talltim
Removed 2104 from the title. Into carry over years

I'm down 6 lbs with pretty much only slightly altering my diet. Need to get more serious though and add in some actual exercise to make my goals

Started at 254 on 2/1

goal #1 is 235 by 3/24

goal #2 is 220 by 6/14

Joined planet fitness and started using the my fitness pal app a few weeks ago. Down 7 lbs. My goal is 190, started at 225. The app is great, you enter some basic info and it calculates your target caloric intake. It helps track what you eat by either scanning bar codes, searching their database or entering nutrition info manually. Charts nutrition, weight loss and exercise. You can earn more calories by working out, so if I'm near my limit and want to have a few beers I just hit the elliptical for a half hour or so after work. It's free and I recommend it to anyone trying to carve some bacon off their ass.

• Upvote 1

Never used a percentages and periodization before but being 8 weeks out I'm trying something new.

Hoping to hit a 350 bench and 550 deadlift in the 242 class.

Today's workout

Deadlift (75%): 1x2 @ 395 lbs

Speed deadlift (60%): 8x3 @ 315 lbs (90 sec rest b/w sets)

3 circuits (rest 90sec between exercises, 2-3 minutes between circuits):

Stiff-leg deadlift: 8 reps

Bent over row: 8 reps

Underhand (reverse) grip lat pulldown: 8 reps

Arched back good morning: 8 reps

The speed pulls at 315 felt better and easier as the sets progressed.

Edited by rawlins87

Been using some grey rubber band you wedge in the door I got from therapy when I blew out my shoulder somehow.

Every other day, 8 different things with the rubber band thing, reps of 15-20, 3 sets each, then bench 120#'s, alternating incline then flat, every other day 15 - 20 reps, 3 sets. Then 40 push-ups and situps daily. HATE sit-ups.

Doing some spinning class at the y this week for cardio.

Edited by Gump

I just started back (today) after an ankle injury in early December.  I now have about 11 lbs to lose now, but more importantly, I want to get back to being able to run multiple sub 9 minute miles. My goal is to do a sub 2 hour half marathon. 

I rode a stationary bike for an hour today and my legs are jello.  Tomorrow - arms!

Been using some grey rubber band you wedge in the door I got from therapy when I blew out my shoulder somehow.

Every other day, 8 different things with the rubber band thing, reps of 15-20, 3 sets each, then bench 120#'s, alternating incline then flat, every other day 15 - 20 reps, 3 sets. Then 40 push-ups and situps daily. HATE sit-ups.

Doing some spinning class at the y this week for cardio.

IMO I would at every other day (the benching, push-ups and sit-ups) you need more rest days for your body to recoop.

IMO I would at every other day (the benching, push-ups and sit-ups) you need more rest days for your body to recoop.

I wrote that bad. I don't bench every day, push-ups/sit-ups only everyday. Then I forget sometimes, so it works out.

Started around September at 255-60 lbs and down to 230 lbs now...looking to get around 220 or so. Gaining strength back and need to start working on cardio for tough mudder in May....So far PRs are bench 300 x 2 squat 330x2 slowly workin deadlifts into back day.

Started around September at 255-60 lbs and down to 230 lbs now...looking to get around 220 or so. Gaining strength back and need to start working on cardio for tough mudder in May....So far PRs are bench 300 x 2 squat 330x2 slowly workin deadlifts into back day.

Its gonna be cake hauling you around the dragon this year.  ;)

• Upvote 2

Very embarrassing night at the gym. First, I was preoccupied when I entered the building and accidentally walked almost all the way into the women's locker room. The entry way curves in a different direction than the men's (probably to alert idiots like me) so I caught myself and backed out. Only 1 person that I know of saw me do this and we had a good laugh. Then I discovered that you can't just leave your stuff in a locker, lock it and expect shit to be cool. "My" locker was empty when I found it. The guy at the desk explained to me that 1100 members have to SHARE the 120 lockers...This should have occurred to me beforehand. My $10 lock had been destroyed but most of my stuff was in a cardboard box behind the desk with a bunch of other people's stuff.

After my workout and shower I realized that I had not brought a gym bag because duh, my stuff would be in my locker. My only option was to roll it all up in my towel and carry it out like the shameful hobo I am.

At least I had a good workout.

• Upvote 2

Joined planet fitness and started using the my fitness pal app a few weeks ago. Down 7 lbs. My goal is 190, started at 225. The app is great, you enter some basic info and it calculates your target caloric intake. It helps track what you eat by either scanning bar codes, searching their database or entering nutrition info manually. Charts nutrition, weight loss and exercise. You can earn more calories by working out, so if I'm near my limit and want to have a few beers I just hit the elliptical for a half hour or so after work. It's free and I recommend it to anyone trying to carve some bacon off their ass.

Normally (in my experience) when you join a gym, they give you at least a quick tour, show you where everything (including the locker room) is and tell you all the rules (like not leaving your stuff in a locker over night).  Did Planet Fitness do this?

I used My Fitness Pal to lose 13 lbs last fall.  I love the scanning bar codes option.

Edited by OsuMj

I bought a Fitbit in August. Down 45 pounds. I highly recommend it. Simply tracks activity and calories.

What do you think is the most helpful part?  I was thinking about getting one of these, but wonder if it would help beyond what I'm doing already (tracking nutrition, exercise).

I noticed it tracks sleep.  That's pretty cool.

Mj, he just said to bring my own lock. I guess it's posted somewhere on a sign but I don't go there to read the walls all night.

Shitty.  Well, I hope your gym experience gets better. Maybe you could ask them for a quick tour too.  One of my gyms had a movie theater style cardio room that I didn't even know about for like a month!