novice with FJR ok at Mid-Ohio?

pista

I'm not interested in turning fast lap times, but have a desire to feel confident leaning and going into turns.   Is the Mid-Ohio school appropriate for this type of training? 

My bike is an FJR1300, I'm 51, and have only been riding a couple of seasons.  I'd really like to be a better and safer rider.  Thanks, Steve

Sure, track day are a definite way to increase your skill and confidence on a motorcycle. However, Mid-O would not be my first recommendation for you to attend. There is a track discussion in this thread you may want to read.

http://ohioriders.net/index.php?/topic/103574-i-just-bought-leathers/

Also consider the MSF basic rider course and advance rider course as well as a "Total Control" course.

http://www.bdmtc.com/bdmtc_013.htm

All of these will have you turning swerving leaning and braking. After looking at these, decide what is best for you.

I don't see why not. I've seen Busas and cruisers on that track.

Perfect.  I didn't want to be going on a bike that wasn't considered appropriate for the track.  And I do have new tires and should pass tech inspection.

Sure, track day are a definite way to increase your skill and confidence on a motorcycle. However, Mid-O would not be my first recommendation for you to attend. There is a track discussion in this thread you may want to read.

http://ohioriders.net/index.php?/topic/103574-i-just-bought-leathers/

Also consider the MSF basic rider course and advance rider course as well as a "Total Control" course.

http://www.bdmtc.com/bdmtc_013.htm

All of these will have you turning swerving leaning and braking. After looking at these, decide what is best for you.

The "Total Control" course definately gets my attention. 

The downside is location.  And cost ($300).  The nearest classes to Cleveland are at least 300miles away in either Toronto ON, Lexington KY, or Indianapolis, IN.  So the ride there, overnight motel, class, motel, ride home puts me well over $500.  Perhaps I could just ride the 4+ hours, do the class, and ride the 4+ hours back home.  But that seems unwise.

Wish they had one closer.

I have taken the MSF Advanced course.  Time well spent, but I want to progress my skills beyond what is taught there.

I'm excited to hear that a track day may suit my needs! 

So Rubbersidedown, I looked at the tracks you mentioned in that thread above. 

I'm still leaning towards Mid-Ohio because of:

1.  the Tuesday class availability.  (My thinking is a weekday should be less crowded and I really don't want to hold up guys running on sportbikes.)  I don't want to be "That Guy!"

2.  fairly easy to ride down, take the class, ride home.

3.  elevation change seems like it works in my favor because I'm looking to improve my "everyday" type skills.  That includes adapting to whatever county road, or State Rt. I may be on

4.  the wet track concern that some have stated appeals to me for the same reason.  I ride in the rain and want to feel confident controlling my bike when the road is wet and traction is reduced.

5.  my mesh jacket and zip together pants are acceptable for riding there

I guess my second choice would be MotoSeries at Nelson Ledges. 

1.  closer to me than Mid-Ohio

2.  cost slightly less, but I'd have to rent leathers

3.  finally, no weekday sessions and I'm guessing the track is pretty crowded on Saturdays

STT at Grattan and Puttnam seem like great choices as well.  But I'd like to focus on the tracks closer to me for now.

Pista thanks for asking the question. I have been thinking about doing the same thing.

From what everyone seems to be saying, there is a place for us "Sport Touring" guys to develop skills at one of these places.  That is what I was hoping to hear.

I'm signing up for sure.

I did my first track day at Mid Ohio when I was 51. Don't worry about riding the FJ, it will do just fine. You will definitely increase your skill level. The coaching there is very good. Riding Mid Ohio in the rain is not a good idea unless your goal is to experience crashing in a controlled environment. The pavement there has great grip in the dry but terrible grip in the wet.

Hey Steve...if you want the company of an other FJR rider drop me a pm when you decide on a track and time.

I've been riding FJRs for over 100,000 miles and I feel pretty confident on them,but I know I can always learn more and a good track instructor could surely teach me a thing or two.

While perhaps a bit more sporty than an FJR I tracked my VFR and did pretty well at PIRC.

VFR's have always been one of my favorite bikes and they definately are more sporty than my FJR.  I had an SV1000S last year but I never had the chance to try a track day with it.

I appreciate the responses about taking my FJR on the track.  My concern was showing up with a large sport touring bike in a sea of hot sportbikes.

I did my first track day at Mid Ohio when I was 51. Don't worry about riding the FJ, it will do just fine. You will definitely increase your skill level. The coaching there is very good. Riding Mid Ohio in the rain is not a good idea unless your goal is to experience crashing in a controlled environment. The pavement there has great grip in the dry but terrible grip in the wet.

Well I did want to attend a track day rain or shine.  But my interest in wet weather riding at Mid-Ohio has definitely been tempered by all the negative comments. 

So my concern would be registering for a track day in advance since they don't refund even if it's raining.  Might make sense to wait until the last minute, even if there is a price penalty to do so.  It still less than new plastics.

Hey Steve...if you want the company of an other FJR rider drop me a pm when you decide on a track and time.

I've been riding FJRs for over 100,000 miles and I feel pretty confident on them,but I know I can always learn more and a good track instructor could surely teach me a thing or two.

Absolutely.  Right now I'm leaning towards May 19 or 20 at Mid-Ohio if the weather agrees.