unOFFICIAL SPRING 2014 EPIC RIDE - May 18th

DerekClouser

If there aren't enough leads and sweeps to manage extra riders, they may have to self-assemble or ride their own ride.  I don't want to sweep a Slow group with more than a dozen bikes in it.

If there aren't enough leads and sweeps to manage extra riders, they may have to self-assemble or ride their own ride. I don't want to sweep a Slow group with more than a dozen bikes in it.

Sweeps are easy. Anyone can really sweep if needed. It's finding the leads that can be difficult. Personally I enjoy leading. I just have a tendency sometimes to want to womp the straights and will have to tone it down a bit.

Sweeps are easy. Anyone can really sweep if needed. It's finding the leads that can be difficult. Personally I enjoy leading. I just have a tendency sometimes to want to womp the straights and will have to tone it down a bit.

I agree that Leads are the more important asset to be able to even form into a group.  But if there are intersections that require blocking for group cohesion, or riders that need special attention or coaching at stops, then large groups diminish the sweep's effectiveness.

My off for that weekend approved :D now to get bike ready and pray that I don't get called in the last moment. Hopefully I can make it.

Regarding organizing we always went with less is more and take the 'less rigid rules' approach. The first two years went well as it was manageable number of people and more importantly someone took charge eg Pauly, or UP the first two years. But last year, it was bad as the number was high ( which is an awesome experience ) and we missed a central figure. Brian knew I always hide in real life and tried to help in the last moment with cdub’s help. But we lost some time and sort of hap hazard groups were formed. But still it was fun and could have been so much better with less head ache. So my 0.02$ if at all helps,

1. Leads, leads, leads : in an ideal group ride we also need lead - sweep coordinated but for this once, to minimize confusion get as many lead volunteers as possible. These guys need to know the route really well, thats why getting them ahead would help. ( last three years, we didnt have enough leads going in and people just volunteered last minute)

Most exp riders are willing to sweep on the spot so this was never a problem.

2. Need central figure who is good with talking to every one :) and addressing big group (no stage fright :D ) Imagine there will be around 100+ people there with riders, pillions just passer by etc. So if your good at it and this can be of good help to organize. Here again why i say just one guy because too many cooks spoil it. even if its a bad plan, one bad plan is better than 5 good plans.

This one guy just needs to ask the respective leads for speed class to step up, ask for a sweep, ask for who wants to go with them and that group leaves. One group leaves while other group is being called up. This will also give enough time gap between groups.  

I would say, these will be the only two things we need for sure and rest will be easy. At least around 14 to 15 Leads for sure (not even maybes) Why 14 to 15 because we might have to split that many people who will show up.

Lastly, plz every one assemble for a big group picture :D I know in my lifetime i am not going to get another chance to be in a same frame with 100 other riders. And keep that pic for old times sake years to come. And i am pretty sure if not all most would feel the same.

Edited by NinjaDoc
  • Upvote 1

If there aren't enough leads and sweeps to manage

extra riders, they may have to self-assemble or ride

their own ride.  I don't want to sweep a Slow group

with more than a dozen bikes in it.

I think a limit of ten bikes per group is required.

Eleven bikes equal a group of five plus a group

of six.

I'd volunteer, but I haven't ridden these roads

before.  It would be a "quick scouting" pace

which might not be everyone's idea of fast.

But, you can sweep the fast group, right?

FAST!!

jschaf  (LEAD)

OhioFZ6's +1     WHO ELSE IS IN THIS GROUP?

Tpoppa   (Sweeper)

But, you can sweep the fast group, right?

FAST!!

jschaf  (LEAD)

OhioFZ6's +1     WHO ELSE IS IN THIS GROUP?

Tpoppa   (Sweeper)

IMO, everyone in the fast group should be capable of leading or sweeping.

All I'm saying is I haven't ridden those roads before.  So some Fast riders might be expecting to ride at Mach Retard pace, and I might only be at Mach Moron :) 

I think a limit of ten bikes per group is required.

Eleven bikes equal a group of five plus a group

of six.

Ideally should be even less than that Jack, and I see no way in Hell that the groups are going to be that small. Honestly IMHO........give out maps/directions for the route and let everyone ride their own pace and at their leisure, but the groups that want to ride together are going to do so anyways.

give out maps/directions for the route and let everyone ride their own pace and at their leisure, but the groups that want to ride together are going to do so anyways.

This is a very good idea. More like a poker run, without the beer and cards and prizes.

Edited by Tonik

Ideally should be even less than that Jack, and I see

no way in Hell that the groups are going to be that small.

I'm inclined to agree, given that I've listed out the

current structure of where people wished to be

placed and who has stepped up to LEAD/Sweep.

But, what's the point of even having an event/ride

if everyone takes off in their own little packs at their

own pace?  That leaves out the single riders.  Plus,

people can plot their own routes without needing

to attend the event.

Honestly IMHO........give out maps/directions for the route and let everyone ride their own pace and at their leisure, but the groups that want to ride together are going to do so anyways.

Everyone should know the route in case someone gets separated, but that sounds like it would turn into a huge, unorganized cluster.

• Upvote 1

Everyone should know the route in case someone gets separated, but that sounds like it would turn into a huge, unorganized cluster.

It already is, hence why I am not doing it probably ever again. ;) Groups must be small, and the groups also need to leave about 10 minutes apart. I have lead allot of group rides and host a weekend rally every year, so I am not totally talking out of my ass. :)Another idea is to have another route, that many bikes on the same route regardless of group size and how far spread out the groups are is just too much. The poker run style works great, especially considering the number of riders doing this with varying skill levels. Just my humble thoughts on this, I want everyone to be safe and have fun.

I will not be attending Jack, so please take me off the "maybe" list. This is a HUGE group guys and gals, and many riders are gonna be green from the long Winter. Eventhough I am not attending, I would like to think my suggestions could still be of value.

Edited by Pokey

This corrects/updates only the categories

indicated below and reflects what I

understand the current structure to be,

as of 3:30pm, Tuesday, April 29th. 

I have no access to the front page and cannot place

any updated information there but I do wish it was

there for all to see.  This is not engraved in stone.

Some LEADs and Sweeper are placed in positions

with the question of them actually attending.  Even I

still don't know if I'll be able to get off of work for this.

I'll know, hopefully, before the end of this week.

We do need LEADs and Sweepers.  Step up!

Information on this page updates only what is indicated

here.  The remaining, unaltered information in Post #246

should still be valid.

At this point, I am stepping back and letting Derek do

his thing, unless I am asked for assistance.  This is work,

especially with only one monitor, and scrolling up and

down searching for information.  If I ever step in on my

own again without being asked, someone please cut

my fingers off.

Here are the updates, from my Post, #246 to now.

Medium Fast!

derekclouser  (LEAD)

kent2406

earache

wolfman1 <------Would possibly LEAD Medium Group C

quikaccord

Koreo

MaTS1200

Blitz (Strong maybe)

whaler  (Sweeper)

Busarider +1 for medium.....This now makes it necessary to split

Medium Group B into two groups unless Medium Group A

absorbs a sufficient number of riders from Medium Group B.

Helmutt and Snot, how many are in your merry band of Daytonians

that you need to keep together in your group, and who are they?  It

would be very helpful for us to have that information at this time.

The rest can be used to form and fill a third Medium Group if necessary.

Thank you.

Bad324 and Mykill, how many are you willing to absorb into

your hand selected group, and who are they.  It would be very

helpful for us to have that information at this time.  Thank you.

Medium Group A

mykill  (LEAD)

.     <-------- These riders to be hand

.     <-------- picked per request of

.     <-------- the LEAD and Sweeper.

Bad324  (Sweeper)  (This group's structure is flexible based on Bad324's attendance.)

Medium Group B

hellmutt  (LEAD)

2.slow

rollnhot

hahafzr          <---------- Many in this Group request to stay together as they

tweak740     

ninjachk08

JStump          <----------  are traveling to the event as a whole and prefer to stay

Connie14

DUBIE          

J_Copeland   <----------  together.  The remainder can form Medium Group C if necessary.

Busarider

Busarider's +1

snot  (Sweeper)

Medium Group C

(................)  (LEAD) (Wolfman1 possibly)

.     This Group will form as necessary,

.     to maintain a manageable number

.     of riders in the Medium skill levels. 

.     It will form from the overflow of

.     Medium Group B and possibly new

.     arrivals with adequate riding skills.

330racing  (Sweeper)

Medium  S l o w

(...............)  (LEAD)  <------NEED LEAD HERE

shadyone

DAC

dizzledan (Maybe)

mike53ali  (Sweeper)

Hahafzr's addition of 2 riders makes it

necessary to create S l o o o w Group C.

It will be necessary to shuffle people about,

to even out the riders in the Slooow Groups.

That can be done on site.  What you see below

is only a sample for the Slooow Groups.

S l o o o w  Group A

B-Mac  (LEAD)

tall_tracy

bloodninja420

crazyskullcrusher

JackFlash

OhioFZ6

OhioFZ6's +1a

OhioFZ6's +1b

Grokked

cptchaos

(................)  (Sweeper)  <---------NEED SWEEPER HERE  (CrazySkullCrusher, Tonik?)

S l o o o w  Group B

(................)  (LEAD)  <----------NEED LEAD HERE  (Connie14, DAC, DizzleDan?)

kz kari

Jhawk

Tonik

smccrory  (Confirmed to relieve Malaysionnvasion for video purposes.  Thanks, Scott.)  

2talltim

Grokked (Maybe)

Tonyblaze (Maybe)

jd724  (1st ride w/us)

malaysionnvasion  (Sweeper)  Rotate w/smccrory for video purposes.

S l o o o w  Group C

(...............)  (LEAD)  <-------NEED LEAD HERE

hahafzr's +1a

hahafzr's +1b

jschaf's  +1a

jschaf's  +1b

jschaf's  +1c

jschaf's  +1d

(...............)  (Sweeper)  <----NEED SWEEPER HERE

If you are on this list, you have indicated you will attend, however,

you have not indicated which group you choose to ride with.  Please

post which group you desire to ride with so that more lose ends can

be tied up.  Thank you.  That goes for you "Maybe" folks, as well.

porschefan
cdubyah
hutch  (Willing to LEAD or Sweep a group of 5.)

jdonn  (With Hutch in a Faster group)

rhill  (Willing to LEAD a Medium or Sweep a FAST Group)

InyaAzz

rawlins87

Heagachongoose

zx3vfr (Willing to Sweep Slow-er Group)

Maybe:

mango_sv

Link

Pokey

JohnG

Bad324  (Remains a Maybe)

NinjaDoc and the Michigan Riders

Carwhore

It already is, hence why I am not doing it probably ever again. ;) Groups must be small, and the groups also need to leave about 10 minutes apart. I have lead allot of group rides and host a weekend rally every year, so I am not totally talking out of my ass. :)Another idea is to have another route, that many bikes on the same route regardless of group size and how far spread out the groups are is just too much. The poker run style works great, especially considering the number of riders doing this with varying skill levels. Just my humble thoughts on this, I want everyone to be safe and have fun.

I will not be attending Jack, so please take me off the "maybe" list. This is a HUGE group guys and gals, and many riders are gonna be green from the long Winter. Eventhough I am not attending, I would like to think my suggestions could still be of value.

I agree with the ten minute separation between groups.  It could easily take an hour

to get everyone beyond the starting line, but it would be organized much better that

way. 

I also like the idea of a second route to start groups on.  First group takes Route A,

second group takes Route B,  third group takes Route A, fourth group takes Route B,

etc.  That would create enough separation between skill levels to minimize catching

up to the group ahead of you.  First group would return to the start point, take a small

break/refuel/go pee, then they would go on Route B.  Second group would return, then

go on Route A.  Everyone would return to the starting point for festivities after the ride.

The place to do this would be near a four-way intersection that would allow for a routes

to go in two separate directions.  I really like this idea.

Remove B-Mac from LEAD and from event.

S l o o o w  Group A

(...............)  (LEAD)  <---------NEED LEAD HERE

tall_tracy

bloodninja420

crazyskullcrusher

JackFlash

OhioFZ6

OhioFZ6's +1a

OhioFZ6's +1b

Grokked

cptchaos

(................)  (Sweeper)  <---------NEED SWEEPER HERE  (CrazySkullCrusher, Tonik?)

Remove Pokey from Maybe list.

Maybe:

mango_sv

Link

JohnG

Bad324  (Remains a Maybe)

NinjaDoc and the Michigan Riders

Carwhore

Anybody got a knife?

I agree with the ten minute separation between groups.  It could easily take an hour

to get everyone beyond the starting line, but it would be organized much better that

way. 

I also like the idea of a second route to start groups on.  First group takes Route A,

second group takes Route B,  third group takes Route A, fourth group takes Route B,

etc.  That would create enough separation between skill levels to minimize catching

up to the group ahead of you.  First group would return to the start point, take a small

break/refuel/go pee, then they would go on Route B.  Second group would return, then

go on Route A.  Everyone would return to the starting point for festivities after the ride.

The place to do this would be near a four-way intersection that would allow for a routes

to go in two separate directions.  I really like this idea.

I do not like the idea of not knowing the route before hand. So our group will stick with what is already planned.

We are familiar with most of it...safety first.

Don't need to worry about future large gatherings. Just need to worry about this one. Don't put the cart before the horse. As an Organizational Leader, the last page or two of this thread is driving me nuts :lol:

• Upvote 1

Hahaha snot :) don't jinx it

Jack u always work too hard, and last time u coming out to meet us all despite not having the bike with you was just awesome.

I tell u again don't work too hard, from the last three years what I learned was no matter how much we plan in this digital world, and no matter how much pm's we send and tweak, it, in the end it boils down to the real life moment and if some one can organize it right there. Coz as you see only less than 20% of the people who show up are seeing all these messages, the rest 80% will need orientation on the spot.

Hahaha snot :) don't jinx it

Jack u always work too hard, and last time u coming out to meet us all despite not having the bike with you was just awesome.

I tell u again don't work too hard, from the last three years what I learned was no matter how much we plan in this digital world, and no matter how much pm's we send and tweak, it, in the end it boils down to the real life moment and if some one can organize it right there. Coz as you see only less than 20% of the people who show up are seeing all these messages, the rest 80% will need orientation on the spot.

Thanks, Nivin.  I needed that.  Now, I'm going to dinner.