unOFFICIAL SPRING 2014 EPIC RIDE - May 18th

DerekClouser

I will preface this whole post saying that we don't have a full organizer of the event, and I'm in NEO, so I won't be able to organize this down at the meet spot because I will probably be one of the last to arrive with the NEO group. We will need to find someone who is able to get to the meet spot early and organize so that all goes as smooth as possible. I can help with all the pre-planning prior to the day of the event, but unfortunately not being as close as others, it would be beneficial if we could get some help for the day of the event. 
ORIGINAL DATE CANCELLED DUE TO RAIN!!!!
Date: SUNDAY - May 18, 2014

Rain Date: Sunday - May 18, 2014

All details are subject to change - so please follow up to this thread before the event to verify all details are the same!

Meet Place: Hocking Mall Shopping Center ---Hocking Mall St, Logan, OH 43138
Logan shopping mall lot on 664
latitude. 39.54528°, longitude. -82.43083°

MEETSPOTv3

Time: Meet by 10:30 Start organizing group by 11:00 and kick stand to ride by 11:30

Pre-Ride Meetups:
W/SW Rider Meetup
NE Rider Meetup
Central Rider Meetup
NW Rider Meetup (Link TBD)

When you arrive we will *hopefully* have areas designated to your group for the ride (i.e. fast, med-fast, med, etc), so please park your bike in the group you wish to ride. This should save some hassle organizing groups later on. 

Route will be same as last year. 
http://goo.gl/maps/ZnwBZ 

The following details are copied and pasted from last year's Epic Ride, organized by Nivin (NinjaDoc). They worked well and we will of modify certain aspects within last years event to make it even better this year! Last year we had close to 75+ riders, which was an incredible turnout, so let's try to get more riders out this year!
Request: Be ATGATT if possible, and try and sport an OR t shirt if you have one. Orders for t-shirts will also be possible by PM'ing me a size. (T-shirt request thread - 8$ a shirt)

Epic ride spring 2014 tshirt

Some etiquette to help us all better as suggested by many riders:
• Everyone is responsible for themselves, so ride within your limits. Crashing is not something we want to have happen. We had several incidents last year, some because of bike maintenance and I believe some because they were outside their comfort zone in terms of speed. Ride within your limits and stay safe. Our goal is to have a fun safe day of riding with a bunch who share the same passion. Crashing only ruins that fun, not only for you, but for others as well. 

• Grab a bite if you want before ride as there wont be lunch stops.

• Ideal maximum group size is ten riders with a lead rider and a tail (sweep) rider

• These two riders should be interchangeable in skill level so that the sweep rider can evaluate and help the riders in front of them:
             These two riders need to know the count of how many riders are in their group.
             The lead rider needs to wait at all stops for the sweep rider to give him a thumb up.

• At each stop the leader or sweep rider can switch or at their discretion ask and allow a new formation of the line. 

• Do not allow passing other riders in same group once the ride has started except at starts.

• Passing slow moving vehicles might be needed for the faster group, when doing this each rider makes times and judges it for them self. Dont wait for the group to pass as a whole. At times might have to cross double yellow to pass.

• Both group leaders should know the route well and if possible have ridden it prior to event. 

• Do not allow changes of groups at stops (Unless both ride leaders of both groups are aware of the change and it does not raise the group count to over ten riders.

• If a rider has to leave a group early make sure they tell someone in the group

• Do not pass except at stops.

• If you picked the wrong spot in line of your group ask to change positions at stops or if a rider signals you to pass.

• Start the ride with a full tank of gas.

• Many folks are planning to grab a bite at the end of the ride, those with time should do it as it will be fun. The unfortunate long haulers will start back to get home before dark.

The Groups
Always start one group below what you feel you ride. Meaning if you think your fast, start with medium fast group and if you are comfortable move to the fast group during gas break after letting the lead and sweep know. Better to be safe than sorry. Remember we might be riding roads very new to you.

Fast:
• Usually 70mph on the straight and 25-30 mph over the posted limit of curve. 
• The people who belong to the group know they belong to this group, they dont think they belong here. 
• Dont jump in here unless you been riding with such fellows for some time. eg: UP, Midgettod, Hutch, Core rides 
Medium-Fast:
• 65-70mph on the straight and 20-25 over the posted limit opf curve. 
• This is the usual fast rides some group rides do, still rather fast 
• Jump in here if you been riding for a while and is comfortable at these paces on most roads

Medium:
• 65 mph on the straight and 15-20 over the posted limit opf curve. 
 • This is the everyday regular group rides pace,
• Jump in here if you been riding for a while and is comfortable at these paces on most roads

Slow: 
• 60 mph or around posted limit on the straight and upto 10 over the posted limit of curve. 
• This is the a very comfortable yet fun group ride, 
• Jump in here if you like doing friendly fun rides and also new riders must join here 
• The last two rides most people rode this group showing zero ego issues and they had most fun, 
• No ego in both years kept our rides with 0 casuality 

Cruiser and heavy touring:
• All the mammoth bikes and cruisers 
• They enjoy the road and own the road at their own pace
• Made sperate group just in case there is enough numbers
• more than free to join any of the above group based on their own preference. 

If you could please announce if you plan to attend and which group so I can keep an ongoing list. If you plan on bringing someone else from outside of the forums, or those who don't post, please add a +1 for each member, so we can kind of figure out how many groups we will need to plan for.\

Also post if you are willing to sweep or lead so we can get a list for that as well.

Groups paired by Color between leads/sweeps

Leads: 
jschaf (fast - unless someone else steps up)
derekclouser (med-fast) 
helmutt (med - dayton group)
b-mac (med)
rhill (med)
cdubyah (med-slow)

Sweeps:
tpoppa (fast)
whaler (med-fast)
330racing (med-fast)
snot (med - dayton group)
Mike53Ali (med-slow)
malaysioninvasion (slow)
Willing to sweep or lead:

People attending so far:

Fast: 
OhioFZ1's +1
jschaf 
tpoppa
InyaAzz

Medium Fast:
isaac's papa
330racing
derekclouser
whaler
wolfman1
kent8406
dubie
B-Mac
Koreo

Medium: 
hellmutt 
snot 
2.slow
rollnhot
hahafzr
smccrory
tweak740
ninjachk08
MaTS1200
DUBIE
Heagachongoose

Medium Slow:
shadyone
DAC

Slow
tall_tracy
bloodninja420
crazyskullcrusher
hawk
JackFlash
OhioFz6 & +2
Grokked
cptchaos
Hahafzr's +2
Slimpsy
WickedJester

Full List of People Attending: 
porschefan
330racing
derekclouser
whaler 
wolfman1 

tall_tracy
isaac's papa 
jhawk
hellmutt 
snot 

smccrory
J_Copeland
JCMathis
Dyingshadow (attending meet but not riding in a group)
rollnhot
earache
jdonn
zxhooligan
cdubyah
dubie 
kent2406
crazyskullcrusher
jd724
bloodninja420
hawk)
malaysionnvasion
hahafzr +2
Maybe
hutch
JackFlash
mykill
rhill
jschaf (+1-4)
johng
tonik
mike53ali
inyaazz
ninjachk08
kmanlyst 
kz kari (slow)
dac 
shadyone
OhioFz6
2.slow
rollnhot 
tweak740
Grokked
B-Mac
Koreo
cptchaos
Heagachongoose
Slimpsy
WickedJester

Maybe:
Blitz
bad324
mango_sv
dizzledan (med-slow)
Link Edited by DerekClouser
  • Upvote 2

Put me down as a "maybe", although I have a feeling some of the groups are going to be too big again. And I think that Nelsonville would be a great meeting point and start for the ride.

Edited by Pokey

Count me in as a "maybe". Actually its a probably.  I usually cruise at the speed you mentioned as your fast group but I'm usually alone or with 1 or two other people.  So I'm gonna say put me in the medium group. I don't mind being in the slow group if you think I should be there on my first ride with the group. New group+not knowing the route/roads=I'll go medium or slow group.

Count me in as a "maybe". Actually its a probably.  I usually cruise at the speed you mentioned as your fast group but I'm usually alone or with 1 or two other people.  So I'm gonna say put me in the medium group. I don't mind being in the slow group if you think I should be there on my first ride with the group. New group+not knowing the route/roads=I'll go medium or slow group.

Not a bad plan at all. Especially riding with new people and new roads.

What bike to ride... My heart tells me to bring Isabella, but my back and neck tell me to being the 'Strada.

Also, I have no interest I leading or sweeping. Someone tell me what group to join and I'll just do that.

Feelin' you Papa, but this a good problem to have.