Sinkhole swallows eight Vettes at Corvette Museum

Casper

Seems like a fitting grave for such a pile of shit automobile.

Whoaaaa.  They look pretty good.

I saw a Brit car show a week or so ago, and they had a new Vette in the UK.   Guy who was "testing" it just couldn't get off of the poor build quality.    Tore.  It.  Apart. 

But they look good at a glance.  A quick glance.  

Saw that this morning and sent to my dad. We picked his vet up at the museum a few years ago. Sad to see it happen but really interested in the cause.

Typically in kentucky it's fronm the limestone being eroded away by the semi acitic water (our rain water is acitic), their limestone is is different than what we have here. This is my guess but I haven't seen anything on the actual cause.

Edited by blue03636

Typically in kentucky it's fronm the limestone being eroded away by the semi acitic water (our rain water is acitic), their limestone is is different than what we have here. This is my guess but I haven't seen anything on the actual cause.

Crappy thing is that the skydome was just built in the last few years. I have a feeling their will be some lawsuits against the contract/builder

That water is a big reason why their Bourbon is so yummy. :)

They said the 8 cars are worth 1 Million dollars but being that one was the 1 millionth corvette and another the 1.5 millionth. I estimate that to be higher. seems like after they get down to it that the Construction company could very well be liable.

my first thought was that 8 cars dont weight that much considering. a 6" -8" base would be able to hold that for quite a  while before caving.at least enough to show something is wrong. maybe not the contractor but possible the architect. 

Legit question... Why would construction company be liable for a sinkhole?

It will likely be the engineering firm that did the drawings, they could be the construction company too. 

As for the concrete holding, not really. Concrete really only works in compression,  the rebar used would only be good to prevent cracking from temp changes, not large enough to prevent the concrete from buckling. 

My guess is they will try and show that the someone didnt do their part to determine the ground stability or prep before building as grounds for a lawsuit. Especially if there is a known issue with limestone and ground water erosion in the area. 

Edited by flounder

• 6 years later...

I didn’t see this thread back in 2014, but we were at the museum after the repairs were completed.  I have a bunch of photos somewhere around here, including the crushed cars which were on display in the center of the dome.  They repaired a few (like # 1,000,000) but some were beyond repair.  

Edited by Wahoo