4x4 4-wheeler advice

C-bus

Update... So I'm still tossing this around. What are the thoughts around a Grizzly 450? Enough power to plow? Reliable? Is the power steering a must? There isn't too much out there in <$7000 MSRP land that fits the bill like the Grizxly. I'm very open to suggestions.

Update... So I'm still tossing this around. What are the thoughts around a Grizzly 450? Enough power to plow? Reliable? Is the power steering a must? There isn't too much out there in <$7000 MSRP land that fits the bill like the Grizxly. I'm very open to suggestions.

Same motor as my Wolverine 450 and mine has a plow. i havent personally plowed with it be cause i just bought it this spring but the guy i bough it from said he plowed his whole neighborhood with it.

The grizzly 450 should be a fantastic all-around machine. Power steering is a bullshit gizmo that they put on the great big quads. That one won't need it.

If your bike is so heavy it needs power steering, it's going to be as much fun as a cement truck on the trails.

• Upvote 1

King Quad 400 vs Grizzly 450? The Suzuki + plow is same price as Yamaha. Thoughts? The KQ is a leftover 13, so I'll likely have more haggle room.

I still kinda like the Grizzly more. Is the foot shifter (KQ) a PITA with heavy snow boots? The Grizzly is automatic.

Edited by C-bus

We buy king quads because of the locking differentials in the front and back the front differential is electronically controlled you can turn it off and on. I have zero experience with the grizzly though

To those with King Quads or others with foot shifters..... With snow boots on, can you shift easily? The King Quad is growing on me, but the Grizzly's automatic seems to make sense with big boots on. The interwebz tells me that the KQ will be more reliable. I will save about a grand getting the Suzuki 400 vs Grizzly 450. Edited by C-bus

I wear old work boots to ride my 400EX and Wolverine. Never been an issue.

I don't like the automatics because they are heavier, much wider (like sitting on a horse) top heavy and much slower due to horsepower loss from the belt drive, auto trans, etc.

Ask Bowdog what happens when the belt gets wet.

The shifters are much more reliable.

Edited by max power
  • Upvote 1

Wolverine has a auto, belt gets wet in deep water holes when you get her deeper than the snorkle, but there is a drain plug. Pull the plug eat some trail snacks and replug, shez good to go. Myself and my boy wear muck boots on the trails and neither of us had any problems shifting his recon.

• Upvote 1

To those with King Quads or others with foot shifters..... With snow boots on, can you shift easily? The King Quad is growing on me, but the Grizzly's automatic seems to make sense with big boots on. The interwebz tells me that the KQ will be more reliable. I will save about a grand getting the Suzuki 400 vs Grizzly 450.

our king quad is fully auto with the hand stick on the left. I didn't even know they made a shifter for the kq
  • Upvote 1

our king quad is fully auto with the hand stick on the left. I didn't even know they made a shifter for the kq

Asi is auto... Fsi has a foot shifter.

Edit... I bought it! 2013 Suzuki King Quad 400 Fsi with plow. Psyched!!!

Edited by C-bus

• 5 months later...

Update... I've really enjoyed this thing this winter. Although more mild than last year, I've had it out just short of about a dozen times. It's taken my 1.5 hour shoveling job down to about 25 minutes. Was really nice last month when it was that real heavy wet snow.

• 2 weeks later...