What to do in San Antonio/Houston

Carwhore

I'm completely disappointed in this board.  The first response, without doubt or hesitation, should have been "hookers and blow".  

You're all slipping.  

Eat.   If I lived in TX, I'd be more overweight than I already am.  

Is this a vacation thing, or a business-related thing?  Temporary, or moving there?

There are some very good breweries and food joints in San Antonio.  I've personally been to Blue Star Brewing and it's a great place to go for a beer (or 4) and food.  Of course there's the Alamo but not far away is a bustling district with good food and drink as well.  Check out the River Walk if possible, they have a website so check that out.

There are some very good breweries and food joints in San Antonio.  I've personally been to Blue Star Brewing and it's a great place to go for a beer (or 4) and food.  Of course there's the Alamo but not far away is a bustling district with good food and drink as well.  Check out the River Walk if possible, they have a website so check that out.

my girlfriend wants to do the river walk, idk what it is I'll have to look it up.

my girlfriend wants to do the river walk, idk what it is I'll have to look it up.

The Riverwalk is downtown, across the street and down the steps from the Alamo.

The Walk is lined with food places, steakhouses and bars. great place to go to eat.

I'll have to look up their names, but there are two mexican places in the Market area that's a couple of blocks west / north of the Riverwalk area. Pretty damned good eats at both. they are located on either side of a small road / alley.

I'll have a look on Google and get their names and addresses for you.

Also, try to check out the bridges over the river at sunset - shiiloads of bats live there and it's pretty cool to watch them all take off at sunset. We stayed at a hotel on the River that had a bar on their patio so people could watch and get boozed up at the same time. I think it was a Hilton or a Radisson. Pretty close to the capitol building.

Edited by Earache

Spent 2 months living in San Antonio on the Riverwalk while TDY at Fort Sam Houston.  Recommendations:

To Do:

- Absolutely hike/bike the Mission Reach trail.  The Alamo is the most boring of the 5 missions on the trail. http://www.sanantonioriver.org/mission_reach/mission_reach.php

- Go see a movie at the Alamo Drafthouse.  Food/beer service to your seat in the theater during the movie.  Good craft beer selection too.  I pray nightly they build these in Ohio.

- Ranger Creek Distillery

- Walk the Riverwalk and take a Riverboat tour

- San Fernando Cathedral

- SA Botanical Gardens

- The Market is ok, a good place if you wanna see what is really just a giant tourist souvenir shop and about half the shops sell the same stuff.

- If you go in the warm months, Schlitterbahn Waterpark in New Braunfels is a blast.

- I see a kid in your photo, so Sea World would certainly be on the list.

To Eat:

Riverwalk is poor food other than a few places, and I've eaten at most of them as we stayed on the Riverwalk for 2 months.

On the Walk

- The Esquire Tavern.  Old, dark, quirky, cheap, and delicious.  Excellent mixed drinks and Texas-brewed beer selection.

- Boudros. One of the best on the Walk.

- Ocho.  Small, cuban food, but great.

- La Gloria: the only worthwhile TexMex I found in town, and I tried hard to find some.  Lots of unique ala carte items.

Both Las Margaritas & Mi Tierra by the market weren't anything you couldn't get in Ohio, IMO.

- If you've never drank Mezcal before, The Worm has a few.  Think smoked scotch + tequila.

BBQ:

- Augie's Barbedwire: best brisket in town

- The Big Bib: best ribs in town

- Rudy's: legendary in SA

- The Salt Lick: about an hour north just south of Austin.  One of the best BBQ places in the nation, all-you-can-eat for $20. Absolutely worth the drive, though bring another driver cause you'll be in a meat coma

Edited by smashweights

I was in San Antonio for a conference last year and second that you should spend at least one night walking around the riverwalk, but the food on the walk is not the best. The Esquire however is an awesome bar with some great mezcal cocktails or tasting opportunities. We also went to Guadalajara grill on S Alamo St. and they had some fantastic Mexican food.