EVO2 12 cell Lithium Ion

Helmutt

http://www.ballisticparts.com/products/batteries/12cell.php

Anyone running these in their bike? Albeit pricey, they boast it'll reduce my bikes weight by almost 12lbs, virtually double the burst CCA's to 410, being a dry state battery they can be installed in any position, and are less demanding to maintain since they hold their charge far better/longer. The 3 year warranty is appealing too. If they outlast their lead acid or AGM counterparts, I'm thinking this will be a good investment.

Anyone have good/bad feedback on Lithium Ions?

Edited by Hellmutt

This particular brand uses lithium ferrous phosphate (LiFePO4) cells which are a supposed improvement in comparison to Lithium polymer based batteries, making them far less likely to explode/meltdown.

Sorry for thinking out loud folks, I'm learning as well as answering my own questions :D

If you keep in mind these batteries lose their punch after a time sitting in cold temps, you will be fine. I just bring mine in the house if the garage temps start looking 40s or less.  Best part is for the winter, I also bring it in the house and set it on my desk, no charger required. Typically it looses only a tenth of a volt for the months it sits. 

If you keep in mind these batteries lose their punch after a time sitting in cold temps, you will be fine. I just bring mine in the house if the garage temps start looking 40s or less.  Best part is for the winter, I also bring it in the house and set it on my desk, no charger required. Typically it looses only a tenth of a volt for the months it sits.

Hoping to get my garage insulated this year so cold temps wont be an issue out there in the future. I am liking the tender free idea too, then my riding mower wont feel so neglected because the bike is hogging the tender all winter

I bought from Starkpower a few months ago and while it hasn't gotten much use so far I'm happy with it.

Post up how you feel at the end of the season. If I get one, I'll likely post a review this fall.

Thanx for the input fellas

Dustin, how the hell did you get yours already.  I ordered one from stark power on Oct 14th.  Still waiting on it, said he's having supply issues.  I'll post back when I finally get it and can test the battery out.  It sure is cold enough here to test its low temp qualities.

Not sure...I got mine back in early November. It's sat in the bike unhooked since I got it. I've hooked the bike up to it a couple times with the cold and just fired it up to let the bike run a few minutes. It's fired nearly instantly both times. Cold doesn't seem to have much effect on it.

Sent while riding

• 4 weeks later...

this is actually not true.  Cold temps, even below freezing do not affect Lithium batteries.

and i only say this because i listened to a 45 min interview with the owner of Full Spectrum Batteries.  I learned a lot about Litihum batteries i did not know lol.  And if you lost any charge on the battery while it was sitting in your room unhooked, then something is wrong.  Lithium batteries have a year shelf life without charging.  only way it should loose any charge is if there was a draw on it.

Edited by Hoblick

^ I'm kinda agreeing to disagree. There's plenty of fodder on guys getting caught with cooler temps and the battery sitting overnite, and have trouble starting. Even Shorai, ended up recommending bumping up the battery size for this. Most vendors build batteries from A123 cells, Full Spectrum included.  Shorai is the exception. Buy one, try it. 

Checked my 3 year old Lithium Iron Phosphate, A123 cell constructed (MOTYdesign) battery -- pulled it around late Oct and it was 13.8, check was 13.74. I'm not concerned. It will be ready to go come warm weather. Beats the crap outta effing with a charger on a conventional battery. If it sat a year, I still wouldnt be concerned over it. 

Edited by mello dude