Courts back execution w/ new (untested) drugs - Thoughts?

DerekClouser

The point of the justice system is to keep society just. Take the unjust and lock them up or kill them, so the just may be free. Our conscious is what separates is from animals.

As for his execution, it doesn't matter. He is dead. That was the goal.

And just to argue... The drug sedated him and numbed him! It may have looked like he was in pain, but that's just what your body does under cardiac arrest. The signals were not getting to his brain.

I wouldn't want to have to hire an actual executioner though. My idea. Lock the guy in a bulletproof room with at least two cameras and maybe a bulletproof mirror window. Give him a gun and one bullet. Let him take as long as he wants. he'll either wait until he's really thirsty, screaming and being pathetic, then eventually give up, or he'll just man up and shoot himself in the mouth.

I'm in favor for placing a TV in their room and playing Judge Judy, People's Court and Judge Mathis 24/7 with no way to turn it off.

I'm in favor of bologna on white bread for breakfast lunch and dinner.

I'm in favor of 1 red solo cup per month and a water faucet.

All this in a 3x5 cell and a 3" tall and 12" wide opening facing a large metropolis.

Locked up 23 hours and 56 minutes a day with only 4 minutes for a shower.

No pillows, 1 blanket with a concrete slab to sleep on.

Also all cells are sound proof so no one can interact.

Finally upon request you can order a bottle of Old Crowe Bourbon, once blood alcohol content reaches a certain level you breath into a breathalyzer that activates a gun and shoots you in the head.

It's your choice if you want to die or live locked up with nothing to do.

Edited by zx3vfr

What about the innocents? (and the wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round....)

dna testing solves everything. /sarcasm

the solution is: having people actually care about jury duty, not being agonized by doing it.

somehow in my 10 years of adult life i have never been called. i know my day will come soon.

Edited by zx3vfr

No. I'm not in favor of executing the innocent. I'm 100% in favor of executing this last piece of shit. He wasn't innocent. I fully understand and appreciate the merits of removing capitol punishment from society. I just don't think that's as honorable as you think it is. We should be as diligent as we can in finding the truth before executions are carried out, but I'm also not in favor of turning a blind eye to everyone for fear of hurting a few. Surely, this needs more tweaking, but throwing it out completely is not something I support.

Didn't mean to imply you were in favor of it, thus my choice of the word 'accept'. I even said, 'you may not be in favor of it'.  I get what you are saying, Just saying I don't accept it, and I consider life in jail with bubba justice enough.

There was an instance where DNA from an unknown person was showing up in numerous different cases in different areas. Turns out the q-tips being used were not sterile and had been touched by a worker at the factory.

Edited by chevysoldier

Many claim they are innocent in prison, and just a product or victim of society. Some people have died from actually wearing a seatbelt, but the overwhelming majority of those who wear a seatbelt survive. Sure there have been some innocent people sent to prison and put to death, but I wonder what the ratio for innocent compared to guilty would be? System is not perfect until crime ceases to exist, but no doubt justice is being served more often than not when comparing guilty to innocent. What is there in life that is infallible, does such a thing exist? We go to war to kill the bad guys and or to protect our country and way of life and freedom, is the death penalty really any different? Prisons are overrun and over capacity, and rehabilitation is a joke to say the least. I want to see statistics for repeat offenders and those that end right back in prison, will surely prove my point.

Prisons are overrun with non-violent drug "offenders", for starters. Putting potheads behind bars is good business.

I agree with Tonik that capitol punishment is immoral, but only the way we've done it this far. I find no fault in ending the life of a violent murderer. However, if only one innocent is executed among hundreds of guilty, we've performed our civic duties with terrible guidance and irresponsibility.

Yes. One is too many. Can we do better? I believe so. Will we do better? Probably not. I still believe capitol punishment is acceptable behavior, but I very much loathe the thought of an innocent man being killed by the system. I don't support "collateral damage" in war. I don't support it in our legal system, either.

well you know, we gotta keep non violent drug offenders in jail, if we didn't the prison population would drop and how would those prisons make any money?

it's the same thing with water/sewer services. the cities are making money on it, yes actually profiting. why else did we get duped into buying high efficiency washing machines and dishwashers, because we were all trying to save water, but in t he process the cities started losing revenue from water consumption going down and now they raise their rates for water and sewer....