Ohio Riders Invades Deals Gap 2014

Casper

I rebelled plenty, even got busted for pot back in my young hippie days. I am just returning the hate that the sportbikers are spewing here. I tire of it.

I'd happily let a group of HDs pass me when I'm on the CBR :)

Maybe next time I pass a group of really slow HDs, I'll get in front and go even slower.

I'd happily let a group of HDs pass me when I'm on the CBR :)

Maybe next time I pass a group of really slow HDs, I'll get in front and go even slower.

Pretty much where I am now. I figure if I am going to be lumped in with asshats that ride the same style of bike that I do I might as well behave like it and hold the sportbikes up.

Pretty much where I am now. I figure if I am going to be lumped in with asshats that ride the same style of bike that I do I might as well behave like it and hold the sportbikes up.

I don't have you pegged as an asshat, but I've been wrong before :)

Seriously, every time I've encountered bikes swinging left of center to block a pass, it's been a group of Harleys specifically...not just a group of cruisers.  I've never seen a solo HD/cruiser do it.  I've never seen a group of sport tourers or Goldwings do it.  I chalk it up to HD herd mentality...If one Harley is badass, then a group must be super badass.

Edited by Tpoppa

They really don't hold the sport bikes up or if they are trying I haven't noticed it. They ignore me when I am towing behind them and can't safely pass them. They actively tried to block us on several occasions when two up on the scooter. More than the law of averages to be ignored and throw out a few bad apples more than 50% of the cruisers on the gap behaved this way. To be fair the ones on the Cherahola Skyway didn't try to block.

I don't have you pegged as an asshat, but I've been wrong before :)

Seriously, every time I've encountered bikes swinging left of center to block a pass, it's been a group of Harleys specifically...not just a group of cruisers.  I've never seen a solo HD/cruiser do it.  I've never seen a group of sport tourers or Goldwings do it.  I chalk it up to HD herd mentality...If one Harley is badass, then a group must be super badass.

Blocking someone is retarded, but so is passing on that road over the double yellow line. I pull to side instantly when someone is behind me. But sometimes that means they have to slow down for a few hundred feet before the next pull off comes up. And despite me putting my turn signal on so they know what my next move is going to be they still do it.

The people that won't wait and pass me any way are just as dangerous and just as much asshats as the cruisers that are blocking people. Yes, they are all sportbikers. So maybe those packs of Harleys are tired of sportbikers putting their lives in danger. I know I am.

Plenty of blame to go around on that road.

I've never had a sport bike guy while passing me be rude or obnoxious nor have I ever tried to block anyone from passing. I have been on a lot of rides with sport bike riders and the worst I've seen is maybe someone will speed up some when you come up behind them but never swerve over to block you. This is a cruiser phenomenon and an often enough occurrence to label them as big babies.

I made it down but only got to ride the sport bike once by myself and that was following my girlfriend back from Maryville while she was driving a 14' U-Haul. She wouldn't drive it down the gap so we went all the way over & came down the Cherahola Skyway. I did make the Skyway about 30 miles longer by going out ahead of her three to four miles, turning around, passing her going the other direction for about a mile then repeating the process over & over again.

My transmission went out as soon as we turned onto the Cherahola Skyway early Friday morning before daylight after driving all night. Could only go about 35MPH in second gear. Spent some time trying to figure out what to do and getting organized. Ended up towing home with the U-Haul.

We made it to Fontana briefly Saturday evening to thank Midget Todd for offering to tow our trailer back home for us. I saw Casper standing in front of the gas station, I waved but you didn't recognize me apparently. I would have stopped to talk but it was later in the evening and I didn't want to ride back to Robbinsville in the dark.

None of my riding plans worked out like I expected nor did almost anything else that we had planned out but we still had a good weekend just being down there.

I remember when I used to be "nice guy sport biker" and not pass people who weren't getting out of the way. Yea that didn't last after my first gap trip

I remember when I used to be "nice guy sport biker" and not pass people who weren't getting out of the way. Yea that didn't last after my first gap trip

I always waited till they pulled off on my first trip. It didn't last on my second trip...............only real issue was that damn red truck and a Harley wall of a bike in my lane coming head on in a turn:(

Update on our boy Jeff the body surfer, he got out of ICU today punctured lung won't need surgery still on the fence about surgical repair for scapula. Feeling better but mucho pain, may go home Thursday.

I liked 89. Scenic is definitely the right word for it. Pretty cool. Unlike you and your brother taking pictures of me in bed...

O now now Dre, You were all smiles...then it was deleted cause it was ghey. haha

Update on our boy Jeff the body surfer, he got out of ICU today punctured lung won't need surgery still on the fence about surgical repair for scapula. Feeling better but mucho pain, may go home Thursday.

That's good and yea I bet he'll be sore for a bit but okay at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to hear he is progressing Paul, will keep him in my thoughts.

That's great to hear. Pass along our best wishes for a speedy recovery!