Pickup decision, need some input

YSR_Racer_99

Neither my wife nor I can seem to make a concrete decision on this, so I'm looking for some thoughts/ input.

We're the original owners of an '03 Chevy Avalanche Z66, and it currently has almost 150k on it.   She is the primary driver, and LOVES her Avalanche.   Its a perfect fit for our family.   We've put about $3k into it over the past year between some preventative maintenance stuff (fluids, belts, hoses, etc) and some broken stuff (alternator, ABS controller).  We had no intention of selling it, and consider it a "good truck".   The truck doesn't have a lot of bells or whistles.  I'm hoping I can get $7500 for it, judging from Craigslistings.  Its a 5.3l.

A good friend of mine bought an '04 Avalanche Z77 after we bought ours.  We used to ride ATVs on most weekends together, and he liked ours enough that he went and got one.  He has decided to sell it, and is giving me first dibs.   His only has 64k on it, and has all options except for Nav and rear seat DVD.   I know the vehicles history (vs. buying from a stranger).  He is asking (and firm) on $12.5k.  New tires and new brakes all around.   Due to the age, and how much it "sat", I feel like I'll need to swap out belts, hoses, and fluids shortly (if we were to buy it), and it needs a battery ($115).  Battery works, but not for long judging from how it turned over the engine yesterday.  

The "dilemma":  Ours has been paid off for a long time, and we don't have any issues with keeping it.  We love the truck, plus are thinking about the money from the past year that we'll be "giving away".   No hiccups at all from this truck, and we've never had/ felt the need for 4wd.  

She's said for years that when our Avy dies, "I'll just put another engine in it".  I told her that it probably won't be a new engine but rather it will become constant maintenance and expense.  

This seems like a good opportunity to get a good truck, that I know the history of, at a fair price, and it will hopefully last us longer than the current Avy would.  On the other hand, I sold something on Craigs the other day, and the buyer showed up in a rough looking older Chevy 1500 truck.  Said that he and his wife spent 65 days this past summer tromping around Alaska, pulling a fifth wheel, and he's got 240k on his truck.  

Thoughts?  

Honestly, if you feel you've done the preventative maintenence on your truck and just spent 3K on stuff, I'd keep it.  It doesn't owe you anything, it's paid off, and 1 year newer truck isn't that big of a step.  Miles are miles, it just depends on the maintenence that was done during the miles and if it "sat" which sounds like it did.

IMHO, sounds like you would need to drop 500-1K in stuff pretty quick into that truck, then having also spent 12.5K looking at 13-15K for a truck that is only 1 year newer, to me that isn't really an upgrade.  Sure miles are less, but I know of plenty of Chevy gassers with well over 200K, my friend traded his 1500 with like 180K in and got like 12K for it, about same year as yours, maybe 05. 

At the same time, maybe toss yours on Craigs and try to sell for 10K or something high, if you get closer to what the other one costs then cool, if not then keep it.

Honestly, if you feel you've done the preventative maintenence on your truck and just spent 3K on stuff, I'd keep it.  It doesn't owe you anything, it's paid off...

This. Drive every car you have as long as it makes financial sense. Done that for a long time now. Dumped all the money into the house instead. It's now paid for.

This. Drive every car you have as long as it makes financial sense. Done that for a long time now. Dumped all the money into the house instead. It's now paid for.

I guess thats the $5k question:  When does it stop making sense?  When the monthly repairs cost more than a monthly payment would? 

Honestly, if you feel you've done the preventative maintenence on your truck and just spent 3K on stuff, I'd keep it.  It doesn't owe you anything, it's paid off, and 1 year newer truck isn't that big of a step.  Miles are miles, it just depends on the maintenence that was done during the miles and if it "sat" which sounds like it did.

IMHO, sounds like you would need to drop 500-1K in stuff pretty quick into that truck, then having also spent 12.5K looking at 13-15K for a truck that is only 1 year newer, to me that isn't really an upgrade.  Sure miles are less, but I know of plenty of Chevy gassers with well over 200K, my friend traded his 1500 with like 180K in and got like 12K for it, about same year as yours, maybe 05. 

At the same time, maybe toss yours on Craigs and try to sell for 10K or something high, if you get closer to what the other one costs then cool, if not then keep it.

Sounds like you are happy with what you have and like John said you have done all the necessary maintanance. You could get another 5 or more years on the one you have.. I say keep it and then by the 2012 or 13 (Whenever the last year they made them was) and you'll be good to go!

Sounds like you are happy with what you have and like John said you have done all the necessary maintanance. You could get another 5 or more years on the one you have.. I say keep it and then by the 2012 or 13 (Whenever the last year they made them was) and you'll be good to go!

Ya know, thats kind of what I was thinking.   Yeah, 13 is the last year, so will start shopping in 2017 or so.  With gas prices what they are, the truck doesn't really get used all that much.  I mean, if we travel, we take the Toyota car instead. 

Good advice, all, and I appreciate the input. 

We're keeping the truck.   And lowering it 6" as well as putting a Flowmaster on it.  And a system in it. 

;)

Ya know, thats kind of what I was thinking.   Yeah, 13 is the last year, so will start shopping in 2017 or so.  With gas prices what they are, the truck doesn't really get used all that much.  I mean, if we travel, we take the Toyota car instead. 

We're keeping the truck.   And lowering it 6" as well as putting a Flowmaster on it.  And a system in it. 

;)

You were kidding about the lowering it, system, right?  Flowmaster sure, you do the rest and go straight beener.  Anyways, yeah dude I think your best bet is definitely keeping it. 

You were kidding about the lowering it, system, right?  Flowmaster sure, you do the rest and go straight beener.  Anyways, yeah dude I think your best bet is definitely keeping it. 

Yeah, I was.  I say that to her just to watch her reaction.  "You are NOT lowering my truck!".   Early-on, maybe 2005, I had a Flowmaster put on it.   It lasted for a few months until I ran over to Indy to pickup a bike.  Over two hours in each direction of highway-droning "brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" in my ears drove me nuts.    Had the FM removed.   She still gives me grief about that. 

Maybe I'll do a Choo Choo Customs job on it, and have the bottom half spray painted silver with overspray.  The truck is forest green...

Then slap on every chrome accent piece that I can find in the JC Whitney catalog.  Door handles, wiper arms, door sills, tailgate handle, etc.

;)

Edited by YSR_Racer_99

I just went through something similar to this, instead of taking an incremental upgrade of 1 year I was thinking of trading in a 2008 for a 2014.  Decided against it, the car I had only had 85K on it, and after a going-over by some mechanics I trust and shelling out for some tuneups (fuel system clean which didn't do shit for fuel economy, new plugs, new stereo w/Bluetooth, stuff for interior), I'm happy to hold onto it for a while longer.

If you're that on the fence about this, then figure out what your monthly payment is going to be for the loan you're taking out and start paying yourself that plus 100 (for insurance overhead) into a separate account.  If you so much as consider stealing from that for non-car expenses, you're not ready to buy a car.  If your existing car has some repair issues a year from now that you can easily cover with that account, then do so.  If it's a catastrophic failure, then use the account for a downpayment on a new/used one.

• Upvote 1

;)

You do that.  I'm bringing underbody and license plate neons back.  Recognize.

The only reason I would consider it would be if you really wanted 4 wheel drive.  It sounds as though 2 wheel drive is working out just fine for you, though.

I would have to say that there's nearly zero advantage to the lower mileage if you plan to keep it for a long time.  As long as either truck is maintained, it should last a long time.

Keep it and drive the lugs off of it. Take the $300/mth you would have in a car payment and place it into an index account.

Buy something used and go to Europe, ride the ring, on the remainder.

I like your thinking...

I've been thinking lately about how cool it would be to take one of those Edelweiss (or similar) 2-week tours.  

New vehicles are almost never financially justifiable until the existing vehicle is literally falling apart and virtually un-drivable.

It is inconvenient to have your daily driver in the shop every couple of months when things start going wrong, but even when your maintenance expenses start to equal the payment on a hypothetical new(er) vehicle, you're still not paying interest on the new(er) vehicle's balance, and (in theory)  you can only replace so many components before you're out of things to break and replace...

The exception would be trading down to a less expensive or more fuel efficient vehicle, but you're talking about going from a 5.3 to a 5.3 and eating $5k difference.    No change in economy.

So my vote is keep it if you're happy with it...  In another 50 or 100k miles, the timing might have been right!