I just bought leathers.

RSparky

Putnam is probably the best combination of close and affordable for you.

Mid-Ohio is closer, but also the most expensive track day around.  Plus it's worthless in the rain, whereas Putnam is still rideable.

I agree, Putnam, and Nelson Ledges are the best options for a first time track day based on price and distance.  I will also add because of the technical aspects of the tracks. 

I had been doing track days for several years before going to Mid-O and I found the track a challenge my first time.  The elevation changes and limited line of sight was something that I had to learn to deal with at MO.  Then there was the speed you carry on the back stretch. (not and issue as much in Novice till the afternoon.)  I have done 140 on several tracks but getting up to 160 and then slowed back down for turn 4...whew! 

So yes Putnam and NL are good first timer tracks. 

I like STT and Motoseries Novice schools for first timers.  Mid O runs a good Novice program but the track is the issue as I stated above.

I rode Putnam for my first trackday, it was a great experience. Very forgiving track, simple lines to help you work on consistencies at an easier rate, and hardly any undulation/elevation changes so there aren't any off camber turns to cope with. I highly suggest it for a first timer. Not saying you can't be a first time trackday'er at MidO, but it will be a lot more to soak in and adapt to in comparison with Putnam or the like..

• 1 month later...

I'm really hoping to get some serious track time in this year....def looking forward to learning as much as I can.....I'll def qualify as a newb. ..lol....or a handicapp....but I'm not scared to get off the porxh...lol.....

I do drive a gmc 2500 if anyone needs a big trailer to haul...I live in springfield...just give me a shout...would love to hook up w u guys at the track...hopefully we can catch up and meet at the epic rude...If all goes well ill b buying a trailer in mid summer for all to use