3/8-3/10 Jenningw GP rolecall rideshare info

RHill

Attending????????  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Are you attending the 3/8-3/10 Jennings Track Day? If, which days?

• Nope, I'm a sad panda.
    • Yes, I'll be there all 3 days
    • Yes, Saturday(8th) and Sunday(9th)
    • Yes, Sunday (9th) and Monday(10th)
  2. 2. Do you have a ride planned? If no and there are limiting factors, choose the prefered dates.

• Yes, leaving friday returning monday
    • Yes, leaving friday returning monday night
    • Yes, leaving friday returning tuesday
    • Yes, leaving Saturday retunring monday night
    • Yes, leaving Saturday retunring tuesday
    • No,leaving friday returning monday
    • No, leaving friday returning monday night
    • No , leaving friday returning tuesday
    • No, leaving Saturday retunring monday night
    • No, leaving Saturday retunring tuesday

Looks like prepping the bike is getting put off for another week, can't convince myself to go out to the unheated garage when the forecast is saying 50's late next week.

I just got a 35,000 btu torpedo heater, and now there seems like a break in the weather is coming. I've been freezing my ass off all winter working in the garage.

Edited by TRMN8TR

Did the same thing (almost). Borrowed a torpedo heater and put on my new plastics. Noticed a few things out of whack. Ordered and now waiting on a new rear brake reservoir and fairing stay to finish up. Everything else is ready!

Was digging through my spare bedroom trying to figure out what tires to run at Jennings.....decisions decisions.   :yellowsnow:

Is it wrong the I was just on racetireservice thinking of buying a set or two of closeout 211's?

IMG_20140213_200318.jpg

Unfortunately only 6 of those tires I'd be comfortable on for a race.  The slicks(1 front, 2 rear) are questionable cause they are old.  There is a new 209 GPA rear which is old and I don't have much confidence in because of my crash at PIRC on 209's.  Don't want to take my 211's to Jennings because it destroys tires and I'd like to have them for the race season.

Then there is my original set of q2's and a couple others from last season that would be great for the street, but I don't really put on enough street miles anymore.

Dumb question here, but whats the difference between a 209 and 211? I bout a set of the 8477 compound 211 and got a used set of chicken hawk pole position warmers and will be my first time on a gpa.

209GPA- is i think around 4 years old.different shape.the front is horrible.

211-latest redesign rear tire is size 190/60,

Never EVER "save" A good tire and substitute for a tire you are not SURE of.  Tires are the most important thing on the planet.  Track riding is a very expensive sport and tires is the LAST place EVER to skimp.  Ride the 211's and buy more for racing.  Sucks,but its cheaper than a crash and repairs.  209's should be thrown in trash btw..  ALL OF THEM.. 

• Upvote 1

Never EVER "save" A good tire and substitute for a tire you are not SURE of.  Tires are the most important thing on the planet.  Track riding is a very expensive sport and tires is the LAST place EVER to skimp.  Ride the 211's and buy more for racing.  Sucks,but its cheaper than a crash and repairs.  209's should be thrown in trash btw..  ALL OF THEM.. 

Are you saying to toss the 209 because of age or because of the stigma associated with them?  I'd never ever ever run a front 209 after my experience last season.  The rear didn't have as much grip as the 211's, but it was predictable.....the front just pushed randomly and way too frequently.  I find it amazing that dunlop still offers the 209 fronts....riding that was just sketchy compared to all the other tires I've used; even q2's.

I wouldn't consider it skimping, it is just making use of the tires that I have for the pace that I'm going to run.  Off the bat, I'm going to be slow as molassas....rust, learning a new and busy track.  If the wear rate everyone says is true, the first day learning will be 1/2 of a fresh rear tire.  I'd be happy to toss the 209 or slick after that, not a big deal.

I'm sure of the tires for the first day, but after that not so much.

I plan on running my q3s which have a track day and a half on the first day. I will be off pace for the same reasons as Ryan, but figure they will be wore out after saturday. I will put the new gpa rear on for sunday and hope that makes it through monday.

209 new should be cut into little shreds so no bike has to feel the pain of a crash lol.  Q2 or even better Q3 would serve u better if you are just out for a slow test and tune day.  Just want to convey the importance of GOOD tires.  This is not from just me it's from my experience with watching people on track make bad tire choices and risk too much over a $300 tire choice.  Bikes and bones cost ALLOT more than the insurance of spooning on a tire that may help you come back from a mistake or unexpected mishap.  This is all just what I have witnessed not a rule. 

The 209's were basically dangerous if I recall right Gixxie?  They sucked from development through race season and had all kinds of issues, hence why they were cheap and easy to get.

Correct me if I am wrong PREZ(!) but wasn't that the case?

Miss seeing your writeup's man, I know you plan to take this season off and focus more on life, but I wish you the best and some of my favorite all time threads were on AFJ seeing your writeups on AMA races with pics and info.  I thank you for that.