Welfare recipient says why work, it's free money

chevysoldier

Duane, you only made 18k on unemployment? I thought you were an engineer? Isn't unemployment 60% of your salary?

All depends on the actual position with engineering, just talked to a friend who made like 35K and he owned the engineering firm and was 10 years out of school.  Said that unless you have a good job lined up or a good engineering degree, pay usually sucks.

And yeah 60% is the norm for unemployment, but they can also somehow cap it too. 

All depends on the actual position with engineering, just talked to a friend who made like 35K and he owned the engineering firm and was 10 years out of school.  Said that unless you have a good job lined up or a good engineering degree, pay usually sucks.

And yeah 60% is the norm for unemployment, but they can also somehow cap it too. 

I'm not complaining, I'm right around the median household income for the state on my own. Once I take that 1 way trip down the aisle, we'll be well above it, and things are looking nothing but up with my current employer...

It hasn't always been easy, and I've had to "start over" a few times with my salary to get my feet in doorways.

If things go as I expect and hope they will, money will not be a major issue for me as my career progresses.

I also have a few off the wall ideas which may turn into nice little income bonuses.

Point is, I've been at income levels at or below that of your average "assistance patron" and I was not happy with the life I had at that income level.

Like I said to do nothing, sure man 22K is a ton of money to do nothing, granted I am married and we split all the bills.  I would sell my truck, and be hassle free, just mtg and utilities that break down to way less than 1K a month when split in half. 

And 60% of my income for unemployment, yeah that wouldn't be that bad to do nothing.  Cut out childcare and get something part time under the table(Have that lined up in case I get cut at my current job). 

Granted I do NOT want to live this way and have way higher expectations, but saying in the end, the system is F'd up badly. 

You can't split it in half, you're married... her income counts against your household income...

if your household income were capped at 22k, could you do it?

Bills would be managed, mortgage would be difficult, and buying fuel oil for heating the house would be very very difficult. We'd have to be eating ramen noodles every day, with generic bread and generic peanut butter...... Either that or I'd have to live in some shitty apartment... I hate apartments.

I worked 31 years for Eaton Corp as a Manufacturing Engineer I started at around 25k not counting overtime a year and was salary nonexempt so I got over time. When I finally retired 8 years ago I was making well over 3X that and was still nonexempt. I worked at 2 different places after that and was making good money but my heart was not in it anymore so I ended up quitting but I was never out of work for more than a week between those jobs. After over a year of boredom I now work of a home improvement store and get paid embarrassingly well to bullshit with customers all day long the only down side is I drive and hour to and from work every day but in the summer I ride my bike every day. Life is good.

Magley

If you are in manufacturing listen to the guys running the machines no one knows them better don’t blow them off they can be a big help when setting up a new process or when other problems come up. Stay on the production floor as much as you can don’t be afraid to get dirty but you probably have already learned this. The whole time I worked for Eaton my office was the only one on the production floor not back in another part of the building everyone had easy access to me when they needed me. GOOD LUCK with you future

• Upvote 1

17,000 would be 1416/month, I don't see any pay here that low...

http://www.militaryfactory.com/military_pay_scale.asp

22k is higher than an entry level enlisted, but not by much, and 22k includes all of their free benefits (phone, housing, food) it's not 22k in addition to all of those things (as with military benefits)...

Now, if you think you could be happy on 22k/year, that's your perogative.

Myself, I was getting almost that ($18,200) per year for the few months I was unemployed, and it was not fun. I had to scrape and borrow to make my house payment and bills, I went stir crazy sitting at home all the time, and I didn't have any money left over to do anything else....

Oops, didn't look closely enough at the chart, e3 with 2 or less yrs service gets 1780 or thereabouts a month. My mistake.

http://www.militaryfactory.com/military_pay_scale.asp

Also, I've lived on much less than 22k per year, it's called living within your means...I had a $450 truck and lived in a 520/month apartment with a roommate. I didn't eat out much and drank cheap beer at home we didn't have cable, Internet or smartphones with data plans and we got our groceries at aldi and savalot.

Thanks for the friendly advice HD, I've never been afraid to get dirty and love input from operators. When I'm setting up processes and equipment, I've seen my job as making theirs as easy as possible while making the best possible product correctly every time. Not too much of that in my current company, but as it expands, we'll be bringing on more equipment... and that will be a priority.

I don't make near that much, but I do my best, and my employers are happy with me. I've also got a pretty good opportunity for advancement with this company, so fingers crossed, the pay should bump as well.

THIS!!!!!!!

If you are in manufacturing listen to the guys running the machines no one knows them better don’t blow them off they can be a big help when setting up a new process or when other problems come up. Stay on the production floor as much as you can don’t be afraid to get dirty but you probably have already learned this. The whole time I worked for Eaton my office was the only one on the production floor not back in another part of the building everyone had easy access to me when they needed me. GOOD LUCK with you future

Yeah its that fucking important!

It's been my experience that the people who make the most important purchases and decisions concerning floor processes are so far removed from the actual work being done and the consequences of their decisions that they never really figure out how fucking clueless they are. Then again I work for an aerospace company that has been making profit by accident for decades solely because they can charge a fuck ton of money for their products.

Calculate your Unemployment here:

http://www.odjfs.state.oh.us/uiben/default.aspx

Didn't like what I saw.

Me either.

After looking into it, it appears there is a max set to the weekly benefits you can recieve ($557). I didnt know that. I always assumed you got whatever percentage of your income.

Edited by 20thGix

You can't split it in half, you're married... her income counts against your household income...

if your household income were capped at 22k, could you do it?

Bills would be managed, mortgage would be difficult, and buying fuel oil for heating the house would be very very difficult. We'd have to be eating ramen noodles every day, with generic bread and generic peanut butter...... Either that or I'd have to live in some shitty apartment... I hate apartments.

Good point, never really thought about that, but I also call BS to some of that because I know there are people out there whose spouse "works" maybe part time, under the table, whatever, and are on Welfare.  If you think there aren't then you are super high on some good blueberry dank.

But yes, good point, I don't really think of ways to cheat the system, it's not really in our nature, so guess I hadn't thought of that.

But yea, I could easily live on 22K if I had to,, single that is.  There's way less expenses when you don't do shiat with your life. 

This morning I dealt with a family who ISN'T abusing the system - so they do exist.

Dad is a manager at a 24-hour restaurant, and I believe mom is unemployed.  They share 1 cell phone and 1 car.  4 kids, so I can't imagine mom would make enough to justify child-care costs anyway.

My point is only that it was refreshing to see a family who isn't viewing iPhones and DishNetwork "essential expenses."  They're far from perfect parents, but they're trying to support themselves.  I'm legitimately pulling for them. 

I know Barack Obama is a Christian. Rumors that he is or was a Muslim are false, and have been debunked by many fact-checking websites. BUT

Welfare is what it is and will never change we all have to live with it and sorry for highjacking this thread.

By title only - the man's earlier associations and church say otherwise.  

Anyone who has been around real Christians and pew warmers knows the difference.   

Me either.

After looking into it, it appears there is a max set to the weekly benefits you can recieve ($557). I didnt know that. I always assumed you got whatever percentage of your income.

557 a week net would be more than manageable, but that's almost 30k/year... that's "middle class" around here...

By title only - the man's earlier associations and church say otherwise.  

Anyone who has been around real Christians and pew warmers knows the difference.   

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/no-true-scotsman

"real" christians don't exist because christianity contradicts itself...

Ditto, around me that's definitely middle class for a person. 

It's more than I make right now and I live a pretty enjoyable, child-free life.

I had a few month run on unemployment because my employer was only 9 months/year and knew we could all get "paid vacation," so they'd "fire" us but still cover our health benefits then "hire" us when the season started back up. $300/week + health benefits, best 3 months of my life.

We all knew this was coming 9 months in advance and could have found seasonal work more than likely or saved up, but why bother when you know you don't have to?

Edited by smashweights

It's more than I make right now and I live a pretty enjoyable, child-free life.

I had a few month run on unemployment because my employer was only 9 months/year and knew we could all get "paid vacation," so they'd "fire" us but still cover our health benefits then "hire" us when the season started back up. $300/week + health benefits, best 3 months of my life.

We all knew this was coming 9 months in advance and could have found seasonal work more than likely or saved up, but why bother when you know you don't have to?

Right, totally with you on that man.  Lawncare unless they do snow removal/plow, and even then usually only the legals get kept so they can run the plow trucks.  Hard to let an illegal with no license run a plow truck around and tear stuff up, then call in an insurance claim for someone with no SSN# or Drivers License.

Friend worked Lawncare in summers, then did Christmas lights in the fall/early winter, then did manual salting and shovel removal in the winters, but would get laid off if slow.  I would definitely be in for that.  Even have a truck to toss a plow on it.  Living in Cbus that isnt an option though, not enough snow.

Right, totally with you on that man.  Lawncare unless they do snow removal/plow, and even then usually only the legals get kept so they can run the plow trucks.  Hard to let an illegal with no license run a plow truck around and tear stuff up, then call in an insurance claim for someone with no SSN# or Drivers License.

Friend worked Lawncare in summers, then did Christmas lights in the fall/early winter, then did manual salting and shovel removal in the winters, but would get laid off if slow.  I would definitely be in for that.  Even have a truck to toss a plow on it.  Living in Cbus that isnt an option though, not enough snow.

Go work for one of the big lawncare companies in Cbus (Scott's, TruGreen, etc). ;-)