Sign in to follow this  
r6Brent71

How many people with your name ?

What do you do do after you figure out how many other people have your same first and last name?

Highlander.jpg

Edited by smashweights

129 First + Last

And damn you for this!  It sent me on an online quest to figure out where my damn name came from and, thanks to the random good luck that one person has mapped out my grandfather's lineage rather well, I've found it back 6 generations to 1803... and wasted the last 2 hours of my life

I think they only count US citizens.

:lol:

I literally laughed out loud at this one

I think this is not too accurate. Says there is only 1 in the world with my name and I know for a fact there are at least 2

it told me there was only 1 of me as well, and I feel like there has been at least 2 people on facebook requesting to be my friend because we have the same name (i ignore those...)

Anyway, my guess is that they project the results in much the same way gallup uses smaller samples to give the nation's view on various topics.  If they're pulling name data from hospitals, license bureaus, etc., I doubt it's EVERY person in the US being counted.  More likely, they take a reasonably large sampling of data (maybe 100,000, maybe a million...) and then project the rough number of people who share your name based on how many hits they get in that sample data.

My Mom traced her name all the way back to early Germany, when people didn't have last names. Everyone was required to take a last name for tax purposes. It sort of backfired on the Emperor, since many took his last name and used that.

My Mom traced her name all the way back to early Germany, when people didn't have last names. Everyone was required to take a last name for tax purposes. It sort of backfired on the Emperor, since many took his last name and used that.

Lol. Nice.

I was just reading that the earliest use of my last name in it's current spelling was in England in 1176. Earliest variation of the spelling goes back to France around 1066.

I think this is not too accurate. Says there is only 1 in the world with my name and I know for a fact there are at least 2

This information is not based on a database but on statistics. So you have a rare first and last name in the US.

Me on the other hand shares a last name with nearly 500,000 other Americans. So even though my first name is not real popular there are still some where near 500 people that share my name :(

Craig

If it isn't going to be accurate then what is the point?

the margin of error is deemed "reasonable" based on the methods.  It is accurate, it's not precise.

1 or fewer.

Well, I know of at least 20 other folks on FB with the same name as me, but they are mostly UK and Oz.  There are 3 of us in the US.

2 or fewer.... And I have my fathers name so. I was very interested to see what it would say about my name.