New state law says any vehicle with a hidden compartment is illegal

ohiomike

Norman Gurley arrested in Ohio for having empty hidden compartment in car

"LORAIN COUNTY, Ohio -- A man was arrested in Ohio Wednesday for having a hidden compartment in his car.

The kicker? The compartment was empty.

Norman Gurley, 30, was arrested by state troopers in Northeast Ohio after being pulled over on the turnpike in Lorain County........"

http://www.wcpo.com/news/state/state-ohio/norman-gurley-arrested-in-ohio-for-having-empty-hidden-compartment-in-car

• Downvote 1

I thought this wasn't new at all. Also I'm pretty sure it has to be a modified hidden compartment. Anything stock would not be illegal, like the new Corvette's not so secret compartment behind the A/V screen

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure this will stand up to constitutional challenges.

I feel like this is really just a means of facilitating lazy police work, and making it illegal to modify your car in a suspicious, but not inherently criminal manner...

Edited by redkow97

I have to agree, the needed exceptions are written in and every time it says the compartments intent is to haul illegal drugs around. Proving that intent will be hard, as it should be.

I thought this wasn't new at all. Also I'm pretty sure it has to be a modified hidden compartment. Anything stock would not be illegal, like the new Corvette's not so secret compartment behind the A/V screen

This, It's not new, and has exception I...

(I) This section does not apply to a box, safe, container, or other item added to a vehicle for the purpose of securing valuables, electronics, or firearms provided that at the time of discovery the box, safe, container, or other item added to the vehicle does not contain a controlled substance or visible residue of a controlled substance.

How about we stop with the "drugs are bad, m'kay" bullshit and focus on actual societal woes.

I think some of them are intertwined. Certainly some robberies and B&E's are to feed drug habits. And certainly much of the gang wars are over drug turf. Legalizing pot is one thing, legalizing meth or heroin is another.

I think some of them are intertwined. Certainly some robberies and B&E's are to feed drug habits. And certainly much of the gang wars are over drug turf. Legalizing pot is one thing, legalizing meth or heroin is another.

So you're saying legalizing meth would mean significantly more people start using?  I'm not convinced that would be the case.  And even if it were, greater meth production would drive costs down, and require less burglaries and robberies, no?

Plus it would make a bunch of meth cooks legitimate (theoretically tax-paying) business-owners. 

So you're saying legalizing meth would mean significantly more people start using?  I'm not convinced that would be the case.  And even if it were, greater meth production would drive costs down, and require less burglaries and robberies, no?

Plus it would make a bunch of meth cooks legitimate (theoretically tax-paying) business-owners. 

Never said that. But it certainly wouldn't go down, and they certainly wouldn't be able to pay for it any easier. Plus all the cartel members and gang bangers selling it would be broke, so they would have to rob people.  :)

If the hidden compartment was factory installed I would be a little more concerned. The hidden compartment in the fellas vehicle had to be manipulated in a particular order to open it.

This. It had a sophisticated electronic lock that operated by you manipulating factory dash controls in a certain order ie: radio preset 2, heat on, ac on etc in perfect order. While there is no evidence supporting it, it's pretty apparent that he was hiding drugs.

so you dont have any drugs on you, but the cops still need something to arrest you on since they cant arrest you for not having any drugs... makes sense. the  cops absolutely need more reasons to lock people up when they dont really have any reason to lock them up on in the first place.

sounds like they are doing great police work!

Edited by John
  • Upvote 1

I don't know what legalization of drugs would do to the US.  Could be good or bad.  We probably won't find out any time soon.

I just know cops have a job to do.  They don't tell me how to do mine, and I don't tell them how to do theirs.  I also don't get butthurt if I get ticketed/arrested for doing something I knew was illegal.

If you don't like the laws...change them.

The law in this post helps enforce other bigger laws.