WTB...ROAD BIKE

20thGix

My sister-in-law is looking for a used road bike. I was told the frame size can be no bigger than 51cm and im assuming something made from this century or at the end of the last. Her price range is about $400. I've looked around my general area(within an hour of Dayton)on CL but its slim pickings at the moment. So if you have something or know someone let me know and i can pass it along.

400 isn't impossible, but you're likely to need to do some work to it...

I got heather's 450 for $200, and within an hour of getting it home I had it purring like a kitten...

Still needs some work, but it will be a fine learner bike once I get a few things patched up.

$400 gets a lot of used bicycle in the off season.  Look for the major makers' (Trek, Giant, Cannondale, etc.) mid-level offerings of 1990s vintage. 

Expand your search to Columbus-- there is a much larger cycling community here (and people unloading bikes after Peletonia.)

Also 51cm is going to be too large if your wife is 5-feet.  Get her fitted at a bike shop before continuing your search. 

$400 gets a lot of used bicycle in the off season.  Look for the major makers' (Trek, Giant, Cannondale, etc.) mid-level offerings of 1990s vintage. 

Expand your search to Columbus-- there is a much larger cycling community here (and people unloading bikes after Peletonia.)

Also 51cm is going to be too large if your wife is 5-feet.  Get her fitted at a bike shop before continuing your search. 

Ive looked in Dayton, Cincy, Lima and Columbus area. Yeah there are some great bikes available but not quite in the price range im looking. Its heading into winter so im sure its just a matter of time till something comes along.  As far as what size, im just going on what she told me and looking for anything smaller as well. Its my sister-in-law not the wife. I asked my wife how tall her sister was and she told me 5ft. So i dont know exact height or inseam and just taking that she knows what she wants.  

I have a raleigh capri that's a 46cm frame, should be a perfect fit. It's got some surface rust on some areas but just had a tune up and new brake pads all around.

I'm looking to get 100 out of it. It would be a nice starter bike/ campus bike.

Edited by Radio Flyer

I have a raleigh capri that's a 46cm frame, should be a perfect fit. It's got some surface rust on some areas but just had a tune up and new brake pads all around.

I'm looking to get 100 out of it. It would be a nice starter bike/ campus bike.

How old is it and what kind of components?

• 1 month later...

Get into the shops, see what is on sale. I picked up my daughter's bike, Trek, new for right around $400 and she is just about 5'.

$400 is not a lot of coin and we don't know what exactly she wants in a road bike but you can find a nice bike for $400 if your patient. It won't be the lightest or fanciest but it will peddle, shift and get her where she needs to go.

Here is one at Performance Bike, that might work:

2014 Diamondback Clarity 1 Women's Road Bike

• Compare: $499.99
  • Our Price: $399.99
  • Save: $100.00

• 4 months later...

SIL not wife, but yes she did find a bike. Not sure exactly what she bought. She told me but I can't remember. Some box store brand. She likes it so I guess that's all that matters. We were supposed to do a duathlon together in July but I'm so far from being prepared for that it isn't funny. I would be glad just to get a competitive 10k in this summer.