Clinton county motorsports bait and switch BBW!

TODDFFF

Well I decided to get a suzuki Vstrom after many weeks of deliberation. Suzuki was offering free panniers with the purchase of the bike for a limited time. Granted they normally cost $1600 to purchase and are crappy side cases but several dealers offered to take $1100 off the price of the bike. I contacted Clinton county motorsports and talked to Kent. He gave me a price on the bike I wanted and then I wanted to add a few accessories to it. He told me they can not discount the parts as they were a different entity than the dealership so I figured whatever. Then I asked them to see if they would take the money for the cases off the bike and they reluctantly agreed. It took me 1 1/2 hours to drive up there and when there we proceeded to take a very cold test drive and I liked the bike and was set to purchase. I brought a stack of $100 bills so I didn't need financing so it should be easy. We went over and looked at the accessories and agreed what was included was over priced or not what was requested so I asked him to go back to the original price quote before the accessories and he said no problem. I told him I would take it and to write it up. I went with the cute little girl to look at helmets as I need a new expensive one and some cold weather gear. The general manager came over with the paperwork and it didn't seem right so we went over the numbers. It didn't add up and asked why. He told me since I didn't take the over priced accessories, I would have to pay MSRP for the bike but they would still take off the cost of the panniers. I told him I was paying full price for the accessories, reminded him I was told the parts department was a separate entity and was already quoted this price before driving 1 1/2 hours up there. His response was he called the sales manager and he wasn't going to lose money on a bike. WTF? I asked how was he going to lose money by by honoring the original deal he approved before the accessories were added? Then changing the deal by charging me MSRP and getting the funds from suzuki? The difference was only $367 but I walked out over principal and was surprised they let me walk.The sad thing was the entire time I talked to the sales man, he kept reassuring me they were not like other stealerships and treated everyone honestly.

After I left, I stopped by Middletown Honda on the way home but they didn't have a bike I wanted. I did talk to the parts person and looked up all the parts for the Vstrom in case they got one in. I was shocked how much cheaper all the parts were there versus CCM.

Edited by TODDFFF

I don't know the whole story, but I can say after dealing with the Clinton County guys since they've been open, the family of Dave, Brad and Mike have ALWAYS been honest, up front and noble.  Nothing less.  Now, things may be changed since I was in there last a year ago, but all I can say is that sounds like you got a deal where you pay for a bike and they gave a dicso on parts.  That disco was rolled out of the margin in the bike.

So, bike costs $1000.  Margin is 15% let's say.  That means the price to the dealer is $850.  The $150 was used up in getting you a disco on parts.  They still probably were making money on parts as they retain on average 30-50%.  But, if you decline the parts, they need to up the price of the bike or they could be losing money.

Not sure.  The details are somewhat weird.  But in any case, before it becomes a total cluster fuck, the people at Clinton County are great folks, support the sport and do a LOT for the community and do a lot of events. 

I don't know the whole story, but I can say after dealing with the Clinton County guys since they've been open, the family of Dave, Brad and Mike have ALWAYS been honest, up front and noble.  Nothing less.  Now, things may be changed since I was in there last a year ago, but all I can say is that sounds like you got a deal where you pay for a bike and they gave a dicso on parts.  That disco was rolled out of the margin in the bike

So, bike costs $1000.  Margin is 15% let's say.  That means the price to the dealer is $850.  The $150 was used up in getting you a disco on parts.  They still probably were making money on parts as they retain on average 30-50%.  But, if you decline the parts, they need to up the price of the bike or they could be losing money.

Not sure.  The details are somewhat weird.  But in any case, before it becomes a total cluster fuck, the people at Clinton County are great folks, support the sport and do a LOT for the community and do a lot of events.

Their online reputation was why I drove 1 1/2 hours to get there. I was shopping around and had several dealers offer me the deal on discounting the bike for the side cases. I guess since their parts are much higher in cost versus other dealers, they do not sell as much and had no clue on dealing with suzuki on getting the credit for the bags.

I specifically asked about a discount on parts if I bought the bike there as I wanted to get everything on it at the same time. The sales man told me "the parts department is a different entity than the dealership ( not quite sure how that can be) and "I can't discount their parts and they can't discount our bikes". We agreed on a price for the bike out the door cash money. I then asked him to add the extras to the bike and give me that number. A couple days later before I went up there, he checked with the sales manager if they could drop the money off for the cases and they said yes.

If the truth was the parts department were separate from the bikes, why would it matter if I bought them or not since the case money was coming from Suzuki? We went from the original deal to MSRP since the manager had no clue what to do with the cases?

I think the sales man was as surprised as I was by the bad attitude the manager had towards the deal and towards me for having the guption to question him about it. I think he was actually thrown a curve as the sales manager who originally approved the deal wasn't there, didn't communicate it well when they called him about it and didn't know how to deal with it. That is still his fault not mine. As the manager and sometimes the face of the company, I would think he would have a better grip and not get so upset so fast toward a customer.

My whole point is if you have dealt with them and are happy, fine. If you are willing to pay whatever they want, fine. If you make a deal on the phone or by email, have it on paper and check you numbers when all is done as they were changing the numbers on me. As with any dealership, buyer be ware.

• 1 month later...

This is Brad from CCM.  I wish i would have found this sooner so I could get our side of the story to the public.  When we originally spoke with Todd on 10/8 we quoted him $8124+documenation, tax and title on a 2013 V Strom and he would receive the free bags from Suzuki.  We also quoted him a windshield, skid plate and engine guards for $821.  On 10/18 we spoke with Todd again and he stated that he did not want the stock Adventure bags and that he had been quoted $1100 off at other dealerships if he didn't take the bags.  We agreed to match this offer for him.  So at this point the bike lists for $8499, we are going to do $1,100 off which puts the bike at $7,399.  Now most people don't know this but as a dealer we don't receive a credit for these bags.  We have to get them in and try to sell them (Suzuki's policy, not ours.)  We don't know how long we will have them so we are investing this money, not sure what somebody will give us for them and not sure how long we will have them.  We are taking all of the risk here.  So he came into the dealership on 10/27, test rode the bike and agreed to buy.  When we went over the numbers he couldn't understand why he wasn't getting $1,100 off of the original price that we quoted.  So we explained to him that we agreed to take $1,100 off the list price if he didn't take the bags, this is what we quoted him on 10/18. 

Clinton County Motorsports has not bait and switched and never will.  We are a Christian owned company and do business the way it should be done.  We have one of the highest CSI ratings in the country for motorsports dealerships and will continue to do so.  Thank you to those above that have given a true representation of our company. 

• Upvote 2

FWIW, I bought my 2013 DL650 about the same time, and $7399 would have been very competitive with everyone else in Ohio - in fact, it's exactly what I paid at a dealership closer to me.  Brad's post matches my experience with 3 other dealerships to a tee - Suzuki's two end-of-year factory deals (the pannier one and the financing/cash back one), were against list price and couldn't be combined.  Based on that, I don't believe CCM did a bait-and-switch at all.

Todd, if you're still in the market for a '13 DL650, I'd suggest giving CCM another shot at the deal.  I'm loving mine (when the temp is over 40, anyway).

What does christianity have to do with running a business?

Pains me to agree with Magley.

Not like a "Christian" wouldn't ever fuck anyone in a business deal.

I'd avoid a place that made claims like this - leave religion out of it and keep that crap to yourself.

Edit: In before the lock! :crazy:

Edited by Earache
  • Upvote 3

It means they hold themselves to a "higher standard" - little different from someone saying that their business is family owned or has been in business for 50 years or some such.

Start another thread if you guys want to debate religion and business - this isn't the place for it.

• Upvote 2

Sweet mother of everything holy. I will ban you for a day if you turn this into a debate over religion.

Wasn't a point about religion, was about a stupid comment that has nothing to do with running a business... He may as well have said

"we're a company owned by a guy with type 3 diabetes, who owns a John Deere, and who enjoys long walks on the beach, kissing in the rain, and singing show tunes..."

The only impact christianity has on business is that you're forbidden to charge interest to God's people for loans.

Edited by magley64

CCM is my favorite dealer. Brad is actually the one that sold me my 14 brand new back in February of 2008. They gave me a great deal and also delivered it from their store in Wilmington all the way to my house in Kettering back then free of charge. It blows my mind as well that years after the purchase when I go in that they recognize me and take the time to ask how my bike is doing as well. Brad and his crew are stand up people and will always get my business. 

That is all I have to add...lol :bunnypancake:

• Upvote 1

Wasn't a point about religion, was about a stupid comment that has nothing to do with running a business... He may as well have said

"we're a company owned by a guy with type 3 diabetes, who owns a John Deere, and who enjoys long walks on the beach, kissing in the rain, and singing show tunes..."

The only impact christianity has on business is that you're forbidden to charge interest to God's people for loans.

Not a point about religion?  Really?  Seemed to be your sole point. 

They're more than welcome to list that the owner has diabetes, or whatever.  

I see no fault or issue that they offer themselves as a Christian-owned business, and as a Christian, I welcome it.

It is my "go-to" shop since Southside in Dayton closed down.   There's a closer shop to me, but I won't set foot in the place, not even if I'm just browsing, because of their reputation for ripping people off, and the attitudes I got when I DID go in there.   

The folks all through CCM are ALWAYS friendly, and seem to enjoy what they do.  They don't stalk me as I'm walking around, they don't push product on me.  They answer my questions, chat, and leave me be.   The dollar doesn't seem to be the sole focus, vs. the other shop.   The employees at CCM seem to stick around awhile, which may mean that they feel they're in a "good place" that treats them fairly.   If they're having a bad day, you'd never know it.  

I like 'em.  I support 'em.   Most of that is just the "feel" of the shop overall, and part of that "feel" is the employees and owners.    

I'm glad that they put it out there that they're a Christian business.  More power to them.   They make all of us look better.  I'm not saying that all good people must be Christian (or Jewish, or anything else).  I'm not saying that if you're not connected with God then you're  not trustworthy and reliable.  I'm not saying that everyone in church is doing what they're supposed to be doing (nor not doing what they're not supposed to be doing).   None of that.   I'm saying that dealing with a business which presents itself as faith-based is a comfort to me.   

CCM doesn't have Jesus fish all over the place, nor scripture anywhere in the building (not that I've seen).  They don't include a pocket Bible with every purchase.  They don't push it on anyone, and its not blatant except in the way they treat people, and thats not a bad thing.  

Edited by YSR_Racer_99
  • Upvote 4