Federal Helmet Law Coming?

HeavyDuty

Guaranteed to kill me? then i must be dead...

I have dropped motorcycles several times and i can tell you that most crashes did not involve my head... most of them involved my shoulder, and my back... mostly cause i'm screwing around in the yard trying to get better at wheelies (during which i don't wear a helmet)

In fact, the only time i do wear a helmet is when i plan to ride my bike faster than 40 mph... 

Also, whether my car has seat belts or airbags is none of your business either. 

You should *probably* re-read the post you quoted. I, specifically, pointed to accidents where the rider's head had an impact.

You should *probably* re-read the post you quoted. I, specifically, pointed to accidents where the rider's head had an impact.

You should probably reread your first sentence in that block I quoted...

I specifically pointed to several crashes I've personally taken where my head never struck anything..

Helmets are great, I wear one most of the time when I ride my XX, but I'm not a proponent of laws intended to protect one from themselves.

Edited by magley64

Oh...man I wish I had realized idiots not wearing recommended gear *WASN'T* one of the reasons insurance rates and taxes were so high.

That's sarcasm. It *is* one of the reasons those two things are higher than they should be. Fools get in accidents without gear and exorbitant health costs raise both insurance and taxes.

So ya, it *does* have shit to do with me.

I would need hard evidence to back up that claim, not sure how somebody else on life support from a traumatic head injury raises my insurance rates or premiums.

My insurance is pretty inexpensive. You may look into that again. Chances are your rates are so high because you're...

A. Young

B. Male and Young

C. High Risk For a Crash (read: Male and Young on a Supersport)

D. Not Very Smart, Hence the Overpayment on Insurance

Also, I'd like to know how taxes are affected by my lack of safety gear.

I got married and mine went from 800ish a year to under 400

I got married and mine went from 800ish a year to under 400

You've also had insurance for some time... bike insurance drops dramatically after the first year I believe. Stats suggest that most accidents happen on a sportsbike in the first year (for obvious reasons, learning, lack of self control, etc.)  

I'm not anyway an insurance guy, but I believe this to be true, but could be very wrong. 

You should probably reread your first sentence in that block I quoted...

I specifically pointed to several crashes I've personally taken where my head never struck anything..

Helmets are great, I wear one most of the time when I ride my XX, but I'm not a proponent of laws intended to protect one from themselves.

Err...what? My post said "If you get in an accident and land on your head without a helmet...", to further explain the first sentence. Did you seriously stop at the first sentence, and then form a reply?

My insurance is pretty inexpensive. You may look into that again. Chances are your rates are so high because you're...

A. Young

B. Male and Young

C. High Risk For a Crash (read: Male and Young on a Supersport)

D. Not Very Smart, Hence the Overpayment on Insurance

Also, I'd like to know how taxes are affected by my lack of safety gear.

I actually never said my insurance rates were high...I said insurance rates and taxes (as a whole, not mine) are higher than they should be because of things like this. Seriously, I'm trying not to be offensive, but it's like you're reading a few words or a sentence out of each of my posts and replying with a smartass response.

1) I'm 30, so "young" no-longer pertains to my age

2) I'm male, but since we have that in common it would have no effect on any perceived difference in our insurance costs (perceived, because you have no idea what I pay)

3) High risk for a crash -- anyone with a sportbike is classified as this to the insurance companies

4) Not very smart? Good one lol I have multiple graduate degrees and make a fairly good amount of money. I was also special operations in the air force, which is one of the hardest positions in the military to achieve and then succeed in (physically, sure, but mentally, as well).

Taxes are affected by the lack of proper riding gear because everyone that is severely injured or killed while operating any type of vehicle on public roads increases the need (according to the government) for a "rehabilitation pocket" fund. These funds are basically where the money comes from that contributes to the government assistance people in those situations are afforded. As the need for those funds increases, the pot that contains those funds is necessarily grown.

It's not a linear relationship, but it's a fact that tax rates are increased because of higher motor vehicle accident rates. Some states even have "financial responsibility" laws, which directly increase the amount of taxes or payments required when operating certain types of vehicles, because of the accident rates. Texas is a huge proponent, which collects more money for registration because of those rates.

You've also had insurance for some time... bike insurance drops dramatically after the first year I believe. Stats suggest that most accidents happen on a sportsbike in the first year (for obvious reasons, learning, lack of self control, etc.)  

I'm not anyway an insurance guy, but I believe this to be true, but could be very wrong.

I had bike insurance for 4 years before we got married. Marriage is viewed as rider being more responsible

From what I've read, the drop after a year often has to do with the fact that riders that would be more routinely prone to crash do so within their first year, and then give up riding completely after that crash.  The remaining riders may not be more experienced after that year, but many less safe riders will have stopped contributing to the accident rates.

Based on most studies I've seen, the first 6 months of riding is the most dangerous. After that 6 months, accident percentages start to drop as riders continue to gain experience. However, many statistics show a spike in accidents around 18 to 24 months. The theory is that during the 1st year, new riders gain experience, but still ride conservatively due to lack of confidence. After the 1st year, their confidence will sometimes outpace their growth, and they'll outride their skills. By 2 years, their experience catches up with their confidence.

Interestingly, according to most studies, any time you switch to a new bike, the clock partially resets, with many accidents involving experienced riders that have purchased a new bike within the last 6 months. It's recommended that you spend plenty of time re-learning those "muscle memory" skills for a new bike with new behaviors.

Edited by Agent3012