harbor freight foldable trailer

standout

I know a few of u guys have these. I need new bearings. Anyone know the exact size? I picked up a set of 1-1/16 bearings from tractor supply company while at work because they looked similar in size. Going on a trip this weekend and planned on loading up the trailer tonight. Would suck to get all the way home and these are wrong. Theres no info on the harbor freight site as to bearing size.

• 2 years later...

Posted here, rather than making another HF 4x8 trailer thread:

Mine is probably 7 years old now.  I recently noticed that one of the strut hangers (the bracket that holds the struts to the frame) had a sizeable crack in it.  I could see a sliver of daylight THROUGH the angle in the bracket while I was under the trailer installing the bolts that hold it flat/open.

I attribute this failure to 3 things:

1) the goddamn fenders shake and vibrate like crazy, stressing this piece unnecessarily.

2) road salt, age, and rust

and 3)  I ran over a deer carcass last year in the pouring rain at about 70 mph.  The part that is now cracked is directly connected to the wheel that sustained that blow.  I pulled over at the time and inspected the bikes, wheel, and everything else I could see on the side of the road in fading light and heavy rain, but I think it's entirely possible that I've failed to notice this crack for the last 12 months.

I deem to be a pretty serious structural failure, and just ordered 2 new parts (replacing both sides, rather than waiting for the other one to fail).  Total cost is $34 for the pair.

http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/62000-62999/62648.pdf

That's the manual.  I'm talking about part numbers 12L and 12R.

I think I'm going to install the fenders connected to the deck rather than the frame while I have the thing apart.  That should eliminate #1 above.  I'll either find someone who can make a 90 degree bend in the existing bracket, or make my own bracket to replace the stock one.

Seeing Hoblick's bearing link got me thinking about replacing my bearings as well.  I noticed those are rated for 7800 RPM when properly greased.

this site will tell you your wheel RPM based on speed (and the wheel/tire dimensions) http://www.csgnetwork.com/tirerevforcecalc.html

I have not actually measured my tires.  I know the rims are 12", and I guessed 4" on the tire sidewall.  At 80 mph, the wheel is rotating at 1344 RPM.  Using a bearing rated for 7800 (when properly greased).

My conclusion:  Pack your bearings often, and do it well! ...and the tires are more likely to fly apart than the bearings overheat and fail.  I should probably replace my 7 yr old tires, too :(

I recently picked one up from a local guy selling on a FB post. Its brand new still in the box and never assembled. Got it for $150, still trying to find time to put it together.

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

Having done it before, I could probably have the thing together in 2-3 hours...  Took me closer to 6 the first time, because I was being careful and trying to actually read the (chinese translated) instructions. 

Biggest thing I wish I'd done differently is to not tighten anything up until it was more fully assembled.  Easier to keep it square.  The plywood helps that immensely.   I used 3/4 treated decking, and mine has held up impressively. 

• Upvote 1

I love my HF trailer! I keep it folded up in the garage when not in use to help prevent rust. 

I bought plastic fenders to replace the metal ones. There are numerous reports of the fenders flying off going down the highway due to bracket fatigue. I also bought better wheels rated for 65mph. The ones that come with the trailer are rated for 55. I blew one of the original tires that was only 2 years old. Most likely due to me pulling onto the side of the road to readjust straps about an hour earlier but speed probably didn't help. 

I repack the bearings every spring.

Anybody want one of these? I bought one used in decent condition for $130 to use a bait trailer (trying to catch crackheads stealing stuff near the garage I use) but haven't had time to get everything set up. I would sell it for what I paid for it if anyone wants it. 

1 hour ago, Limitedslip7 said:

Anybody want one of these? I bought one used in decent condition for $130 to use a bait trailer (trying to catch crackheads stealing stuff near the garage I use) but haven't had time to get everything set up. I would sell it for what I paid for it if anyone wants it. 

I'll help you set it up and we can go hunting crackheads together!

18 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

I'll help you set it up and we can go hunting crackheads together!

They've already stolen two trailers (one of them mine) and about $7k worth of tools, so there is a good chance they will strike again at some point. Was planning on hiding my old smartphone with a tracking app and large battery pack in it if I ever get around to it. It will probably get stolen before I manage to do so... 

1 minute ago, Limitedslip7 said:

They've already stolen two trailers (one of them mine) and about $7k worth of tools, so there is a good chance they will strike again at some point. Was planning on hiding my old smartphone with a tracking app and large battery pack in it if I ever get around to it. It will probably get stolen before I manage to do so... 

I was thinking of getting some paintball guns, cranking up the FPS, freezing some paintballs and if we could get our hands on some of those Pepper Spray paintballs.....

• Upvote 2