FDA Banning Trans Fats

Casper

I think the whole GMO thing is bullshit, too.

Farmers have been genetically modifying plants for centuries, albeit in a much less efficient fashion.

We genetically modified dogs, too. Again, just less efficiently.

throw the words "genetically modified" around and suddenly fuji apples are dangerous... Please

Edited by magley64

Farmers have been genetically modifying plants for centuries, albeit in a much less efficient fashion.

throw the words "genetically modified" around and suddenly fuji apples are dangerous... Please

There should be labeling so people can make their own decisions. If there's nothing to hide, then labeling should be no problem at all. 

• Upvote 2

There should be labeling so people can make their own decisions. If there's nothing to hide, then labeling should be no problem at all. 

So what should be the criteria for labeling?

What qualifies as "genetically modified"?

Every generation of plant that is not a "clone" has a hybrid of genes from each of it's "parent" organisms, therefore every generation is gentically modified... that's evolution.

Now in the case of companies that are "patenting" a gene sequence, I do think that those companies should label their product as containing that gene sequence. 

I think that is a great first step....

You have a choice whether to eat crap like that or not, everyone knows it is bad for them. Same goes for smoking and I would never want to see them ban it, however I am all for smoke free zones for those of us that wish not to be around it outside of our private property.

So what should be the criteria for labeling?

What qualifies as "genetically modified"?

Every generation of plant that is not a "clone" has a hybrid of genes from each of it's "parent" organisms, therefore every generation is gentically modified... that's evolution.

Now in the case of companies that are "patenting" a gene sequence, I do think that those companies should label their product as containing that gene sequence. 

I think that is a great first step....

Gotta agree with Magz here.  Even "Non-GMO" products are still likely descendants of some human-influenced plant.  Whether it was Mendel cross-breeding peas or some biotech company increasing expression of a corn gene responsible for making more vitamins.  Problem lies in what you're expressing: vitamins? resistance to pesticides/herbicides? etc.  It's not fair to blanket label all them into the same category as different potential risks would exist.

As for trans fats, there's no question they're incredibly harmful.  Ironically, if you want to find TONS of trans fats in foods, look no further than the MREs we serve to our military.  It's horrendous.  You'll find 3-5 GRAMS of trans fat per item of food in those things.

And lets be realistic here: how many of you actually read the ingredient list of everything you buy?  Even "zero trans fat" products manipulate their serving size to make that claim.

Edited by smashweights

why are you guys surprised the government is overstepping its bounds trying to tell us what to do? Have you not realized New America's Nanny State won't die?

I'm all for free market and what not, but there is a role in this kind of stuff.  How bad does something have to be before you're willing to have the government step in and intervene?  Back in the 50's thalidomide was given to pregnant women for morning sickness and caused horrible birth defects.  Should we just say "people know the risks and can choose to take it?"

I'm all for free market and what not, but there is a role in this kind of stuff.  How bad does something have to be before you're willing to have the government step in and intervene?  Back in the 50's thalidomide was given to pregnant women for morning sickness and caused horrible birth defects.  Should we just say "people know the risks and can choose to take it?"

It's a difficult balance to strike. In the case of healthy foods, I'd usually rather just be given the warning, and the choice of what to eat...

When you're talking about pharmaceuticals, there is a stronger need to protect people from bad drugs...

just how I see things

It's a difficult balance to strike. In the case of healthy foods, I'd usually rather just be given the warning, and the choice of what to eat...

When you're talking about pharmaceuticals, there is a stronger need to protect people from bad drugs...

just how I see things

What if consuming GMO corn during pregnancy causes autism?

• Upvote 1

What if consuming GMO corn during pregnancy causes autism?

my first question is:

Which modified gene in the corn causes autism, and how?

Then we do some research into what that gene does for the corn, and if we can eliminate it from future generations of corn.

Science can fix the problems, we just need to do the work.

Edited by magley64

Yup, Mags is correct. Humans have modified food (plants and animals) from day one through selective breeding. GMO just does it faster. Personally, I think food modified for mechanical collection and processing is not very tasty. The same would be true for GMOs as well, if that was the target. Heirloom food is much harder to produce, collect and process, but tastes much better. Yes, some hybrids are also of value.

Be also aware, that generations of "normal" selective breeding has put most crops into a very dangerous position of having very little protection because of their lack of diversity, if something attacks the crops. Most of them are so similar, that the majority could be lost in one season. Corn is a major example, since corn crops lack diversity more than most other crops. And following seasons might not be much better. GMO could avoid, or quickly be modified to avoid. Call it insurance against calamity and starvation.

Wow you really are a fucking idiot who had no idea what you are talking about. GMO is adding an extra gene.

What you are taking about us hybridizing. What you are saying is if 2 people of a different race make a baby, that baby is genetically modified, but the baby has both parents genes, not any extra unless a mutation occurs but it was not forcibly added.

Wow you really are a fucking idiot who had no idea what you are talking about. GMO is adding an extra gene.

What you are taking about us hybridizing. What you are saying is if 2 people of a different race make a baby, that baby is genetically modified, but the baby has both parents genes, not any extra unless a mutation occurs but it was not forcibly added.

THIS!! Scientists are playing god with our food and we're the guinea pigs. Injecting the genes from a fish into a tomato is not "cross breeding". We don't know the effects of GMO foods but some scientists are suggesting it's not good. Another thing I would love to see go away is high fructose corn syrup. Another menace of the food industry IMHO.

THIS!! Scientists are playing god with our food and we're the guinea pigs. Injecting the genes from a fish into a tomato is not "cross breeding". We don't know the effects of GMO foods but some scientists are suggesting it's not good. Another thing I would love to see go away is high fructose corn syrup. Another menace of the food industry IMHO.

Hybridizing good.. Genetically modifying bad..

There is a difference, insects have been hybridizing for us for millions of years.

GMO hybridizing is one thing. Altering crops so they glow in the dark and can be picked at night is another. There should be rational limits.

If we're not careful, we wind up with crops that pick and harvest themselves. Kinda creepy.

Please reference one SPECIFIC GMO crop that is dangerous, on the shelves at Kroger, and note the gene added and why it is a threat to my health.  Otherwise it's no different than the holistic/naturalistic hippies who tout all the generic "toxins" that seep out of your body by drinking Goji juice or wrapping your body in exotic leaves.

Please reference one SPECIFIC GMO crop that is dangerous, on the shelves at Kroger, and note the gene added and why it is a threat to my health.  Otherwise it's no different than the holistic/naturalistic hippies who tout all the generic "toxins" that seep out of your body by drinking Goji juice or wrapping your body in exotic leaves.

the concerm is the amount of pesticides and herbicides applied. Roundup ready corn still takes up the glysophosphate, it just jsnt affected by it.