New 2014 Monster 1200 and 1200S revealed!

smashweights

http://www.ducatiusa.com/bikes/monster_1200_s/index.do

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2014-ducati-monster-1200/

2014-Ducati-Monster-1200-635x423.jpg

2104-Ducati-Monster-1200-04-635x475.jpg

2104-ducati-monster-1200-16.jpg

IMHO:

Pros:
-Ditched the giant fender, i LOVE the Diavel-style plate holder, hopefully this will be portable to the 1100EVO
-Ohlins suspension option: my biggest complaint with the 1100EVO is the suspension
-Bigger fuel tank

Cons:
-Looks like a Streetfighter and Diavel had a baby and this is what came out. Not ugly per se, but you can clearly see they mixed the two stylistically. The style is good, but overall looks substantially more bulky than the EVO, do not like that part at all. Still, looks way better than the naked Triumphs.
- +30lbs dry weight, +47lbs kerb weight.
- +$1500 base price, + $3000 S model

Be interesting to hear it and see if the engine sounds as awesome as the 1100EVO does.

No plans to swap out the EVO, but if one of these wrecks and I can steal the suspension and license plate bracket, i'll take it ;-)

Plus, I like the bigger fuel capacity. Hunting around for gas every 80 miles can be a pita as well as downright scary when you are out in the boonies with no stations for miles.  Makes planning trips a bit more interesting though.

Whatever. My Ducs are as reliable as any Japanese bike I've owned. Kind of hard to fuck up a bike that has the pedigree of a sewing machine.

Japan makes reliable products. There's no question. That's why my cars are Japanese. I could give a shit if they're soulless. My bikes, however...they need to hit the mark. The closest Japanese bike I owned that "stirred my soul" was my TL1000, and it was a piece of shit in terms of mechanical design and function. It was brutal and uncompromising, though. I did like that part.

Too much maintenance to keep them running and need special tools for some stuff.......I will still pass, Now I would own one as a 3rd or 4th bike mind you, but for sure not a primary or second bike.

I like the new design well enough, but I'm sad to see the air-cooled engines go away.

I only owned my 900SS for a relatively short period of time, but that bike was a joy to ride, and I have never had another bike that was as easy and intuitive to work on.  The earlier liquid cooled bikes got something of a bad rep for reliability, but those air-cooled motors were completely bullet-proof as long as you took very basic care of them.  Combine that with enough torque (especially with the later DS versions) for a goofy looking Eye-talian tractor to walk away from an OMGWTFBBQ liter bike in real world riding, and you've got a really appealing setup.

I'll definitely own another air-cooled Duc at some point, especially if I can find a nice SS1000DS.

Too much maintenance to keep them running and need special tools for some stuff.......I will still pass, Now I would own one as a 3rd or 4th bike mind you, but for sure not a primary or second bike.

You are among several that are not well sorted in today's Ducati.  No special tools other than a rear axle socket.  None.  Hell, I had more special tools needed for my GSXRs than I need for the Panigale I have.  Also, major service intervals are 15k plus on every Duc now.  Every single one in the line...

The thing to remember is that yes...  in the past, they had issues, had low service intervals and had to rely on special stuff to operate them.  I believe that IP can maybe attest, but even the belts are easy to maintain...

I like the new design well enough, but I'm sad to see the air-cooled engines go away.

I only owned my 900SS for a relatively short period of time, but that bike was a joy to ride, and I have never had another bike that was as easy and intuitive to work on.  The earlier liquid cooled bikes got something of a bad rep for reliability, but those air-cooled motors were completely bullet-proof as long as you took very basic care of them.  Combine that with enough torque (especially with the later DS versions) for a goofy looking Eye-talian tractor to walk away from an OMGWTFBBQ liter bike in real world riding, and you've got a really appealing setup.

I'll definitely own another air-cooled Duc at some point, especially if I can find a nice SS1000DS.

The issue is we cannot get the performance and longevity and low service hours from air cooled stuff.  These liquid cooled jobies are getting the performance we desire and as enthusiasts, LOVE.  Don't get me wrong...  I love me some air cooled Ducs.  I really do.  I see them and fall in love.  They have a soul. 

I think several of our bikes have souls.  The Pani is the most amazing bike I have raced.  I know that the future may being us better bikes and will have me saying this same thing again.  But, compared to my GSXR that was awesome, fast and brilliant - the Duc has something where it causes emotion.  Even the RC8 didn't cause me to smile as much as this thing does.  The Hyper, The MTS, the Monsters.  All bring me to thoughts of why I enjoy motorcycles.  When I ride a Japanese bike, I feel the engineering has made it almost too perfect.  And, the Pani flirts with that idea.  Until you fire it up, hear it blast a striaght at the track, or when you look at it...

The new Monster is amazing.  It is pure Ducati and takes what they have always had and simply evolved it a little.  It really does take that heritage and builds on it...

• Upvote 1

My bike has no soul.. It's just remarkably powerful, and requires no maintenence to be incredibly reliable.

The only time I hit the button and it wouldn't start, I had a weak battery.

Maybe if I ever owned a bike with a soul, it would mean something to me... as of now I just want something that thrills me when i rock the throttle, and has enough clearance, grip, and stability for me to throw it through some corners as fast as I dare.

Edited by magley64

My bike has no soul.. It's just remarkably powerful, and requires no maintenence to be incredibly reliable.

The only time I hit the button and it wouldn't start, I had a weak battery.

Maybe if I ever owned a bike with a soul, it would mean something to me... as of now I just want something that thrills me when i rock the throttle, and has enough clearance, grip, and stability for me to throw it through some corners as fast as I dare.

You ride a hyper bike they have plenty of soul as im finding out with my 12.