Plasma or LED/LCD

Tonik

I'm taking notes, waiting for my tube tv to blow up. Everytime i've researched flat screens, there never seems to be a obvious winner. Then all the refresh rate, ghz, dpi, talk.  

I'm surprised that some have had issues with their Samsung TV's.

There aren't many "manufacturers" who actually make their own displays - LG supplies a LOT of displays for the mid-to-lower end TV's.  The difference is how they're packaged by each manufacturer, which means that the quality of the electronics vary, but the picture quality is relatively consistent across several brands.  The guy at Best Buy (when I bought my TV like 7 years ago...) was actually useful in pointing this out, and showing me that a Magnavox, Polaroid, LG, and RCA 32" HDTV were all the same screen, but with different electronics powering it.  I bought the cheapest one...

Samsung was one who made their own displays, to the best of my knowledge... 

Our Samsung TV's have better picture quality than I've seen with any other brand and we've had no issues with any of them.

You need to assess the lighting in your room to make a decision. Plasma TV's are better for designated TV rooms with little or no natural light/windows.  There are lcd's out there with LED backlighting which help with bright light conditions.

We bought this tv last year and the picture is amazing.  Almost too clear. Price is pretty reasonable as well for a mid-level tv.  Also has some smart features for getting Netflix, Hulu, amazon prime etc...

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN46F7100AFXZA

LED_F7100_1_1.jpgLED_F7100_2_1.jpg

+1 for Plasma. Plasmas consistently top the rankings for best picture quality and are the best for watching sports or anything with fast motion due to the high refresh rate. The black levels are also much deeper than you will get with an LCD/LED. Burn-in really is not an issue anymore, I've bought 3 plasmas since 2006 and never had image retention issues with any of them. I own 2 Samsung plasmas and haven't had a single problem.

There are some drawbacks to plasma, though. Like others mentioned, putting a plasma in a room that gets a lot of sunlight can be a problem - the glare can be noticeable if there is a lot of light. Also, they do generate a lot of heat. Overall though, I think those are pretty small tradeoffs for the picture quality you get.

Open it up and check out the power supply capacitors, they're the most common reason flat screen tv's die and they're easy to replace and only cost a few dollars. My LG 32" wouldn't turn on, so I checked them and sure enough the psu caps were either bulging or leaking, ordered new ones online and soldered them in. That was a couple years ago and it's been serving as my monitor nearly every day since.

I've had a 42" Panasonic Viera 1080p plasma since 2008 with no issues and I've never felt the need to get a new one, and I'm prone to love upgrading.

And as a caveat, plasmas get warm, it's not like they're gonna affect your room temperature or something like that.

Edited by smashweights

I've had a 42" Panasonic Viera 1080p plasma since 2008 with no issues and I've never felt the need to get a new one, and I'm prone to love upgrading.

And as a caveat, plasmas get warm, it's not like they're gonna affect your room temperature or something like that.

I beg to differ. My 50" Samsung plasma is in my bedroom and it does heat up the room as much as 4-5 degrees sometime. You can feel the heat radiating off of it when you walk by.

I beg to differ. My 50" Samsung plasma is in my bedroom and it does heat up the room as much as 4-5 degrees sometime. You can feel the heat radiating off of it when you walk by.

I will second this. I have a 42" Hitachi plasma in my bedroom and if I leave the door closed, it will definitely heat up. Not really a huge problem though, just open the door.

I will second this. I have a 42" Hitachi plasma in my bedroom and if I leave the door closed, it will definitely heat up. Not really a huge problem though, just open the door.

How old are these? I have a Panasonic from 2009 that gets hot but my new one doesn't and it's even bigger than the old one. They also have narrowed the gap regarding energy consumption. My new panny doesn't use much more electric than an LCD.

I will swear by Samsungs. I have 3, 1 50" 1 37" and 1 27". there are all LCD/ LED. They have been perfect and have a great picture. I mostly watch movies and play games. My dad has a 60" Samsung plasma that they bought in 2011 I've seen ghosting issues with it but they arent permanent. They will hang around for a couple hours afterwards. All flat screes put off heat. In my front room where I have my gaming console a 32" tv, 2 tower speakers, a  receiver, amp and sub. and the room is 10x12. It heats up significantly. I've already cracked the window to cool the room down in the winter. And this is in an old house with 1 forced air heater in the kitchen for heat. its always cold.

How old are these? I have a Panasonic from 2009 that gets hot but my new one doesn't and it's even bigger than the old one. They also have narrowed the gap regarding energy consumption. My new panny doesn't use much more electric than an LCD.

The Hitachi is kind of old. I bought it in 2006. It also weighs a ton.