BMW F700GS vs. Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS - opinions please?

smccrory

• 4 months later...

An update - I'm at 850 miles now and I LOVE the bike - thank you Pokey, Tpoppa, LINK and others for the advice!

The 600 mile maintenance was a breeze - just oil, filter, some bolt tightening, chain lube and that was pretty much it.  I kept full records and pictures of course.

I bumped into Pokey at a BP on my way out for a ride today - he was on the way in, and it was sincerely great to connect in person.  Love the color of his '1000, and that Corbin seat is enviable.  I'm really looking forward to a Romney WV ride on the 2nd - it'll be one of the peak highlights of the year.  :banana:

Man, the 650's engine is silky smooth, along with the clutch and gearing, I'm impressed with that fact every time I ride her.  I'm still dumbfounded by how much pep it has for a 650 - more than enough for me, and its suspension is a big improvement over my previous bikes.  Last weekend I enjoyed the heck out of it for a 5-hour ride with Hutch and his friends, and while I couldn't come close to keeping up with him, it was because of me and not the bike.  How can an ADV also be sporty?  Somehow this one is.

The Strom is heavy when stationary, but she's still much lighter than my old CB700SC (sold to a friend today - yay!).  The bike's height also intimidated me at first but I'm getting used to it, and I rather like being at the same eye level as SUV drivers.  I've found that wiggling around in the seat is a fun way to dodge potholes.  I feel like I can throw the bike around like a pair of skis at Seven Springs.  :thefinger:

Alas, I've been farkling.  Oh yes, farkling.  ROX 2" riders set at a 45* angle (perfect for my neck), foam grip slips, Givi engine guards, Cree 10w LED lights where the fork side reflectors used to be (and wired into the aux connector using an Eastern Beaver kit), a cigar/USB power adapter and iPhone mount, mirror extenders, Givi V35 panniers and another Eastern Beaver lighting kit for my Givi E450 top box.  Oh, I also added a $12 Throttle Rocker today - adjusted to the right angle, it stayed out of the way at low speeds while letting me use my palm to maintain speed while flexing my fingers!

I haven't added an after-market seat yet, and I hope I don't rue the decision before longer rides.  So far I've been pretty comfortable with the stock seat for up to 5 hours as long as I move around a bit and perch up on my feet to get the blood moving once in a while.

The only negatives I'd give the bike are that it blows around in the wind - something I've gotten used to but it was a little spooky at first.  It's top-heavy in the garage.  Engine back-pressure is significant, so you need to slip the clutch at low speeds (not a bad thing to get used to for dirt riding though).  It's hard to get off of - I mentioned this to Pokey and it's true - once you're in the zone and connected with the Strom, you GET it.  If you're a gun fan, it's like a well-configured AR or Beretta 92 - not the prettiest girl at the dance, but wow, once you dance with her, she's smiles in a way you didn't think you'd respond to, and it's a shame to stop dancing.  Yea, it actually it a lot like that!

OK, enough Old Fashioned for me because I'm anthropormorphizing again.  In any case, thanks again gents - great advice.

- Scott 

The only negatives I'd give the bike are that it blows around in the wind - something I've gotten used to but it was a little spooky at first.

- Scott 

2 words.."Fork Brace"..it's incredible what it will do for this problem, it's like night and day..as the previous owner of pokey's ride this was the best money i spent on that old girl

these folk have them on sale right now

http://www.adventuretech.biz/

Edited by 2talltim