SV650 - any common issues?

redkow97

Looking at a 2000 (first generation) SV650 with 48,000 miles on the clock.  I'm sure it was ridden hard, but it runs well, and is dirt cheap.

Any reason I should worry about the 48,000 miles?  It is cheap enough that mechanical  failure after a couple of seasons of riding wouldn't spoil the deal.

What's the worst thing that could happen with a motor of that "experience?"  

Are SV's known to have common failures around a certain mileage? 

How much would a donor motor to fix or replace the original cost me?  eBay has a bunch of SV motors for $500 and up, but I have to believe those prices are inflated to account for shipping costs.

All input appreciated - I'm going to cruise the WERA classifieds and see if I can find any SV part-outs to get an answer to that last question on my own.

i can only hold a wheelie for 1-2 seconds, so no problem there.

At Circleville, there is a little bump near pit-out (in the clockwise direction) that I would use to pull the front up on the XR100 as I entered the track for practice :p    That's about all the wheelie action I can handle.

Guy on Stromtroopers had an SV650 that he easily got 100K plus on his with regular maintenance, and he is a hard rider. I know it is the 1000 plant that is detuned from the SV1000, but there is currently a DL1000 with over 300K on it.

It's a robust design. If it was maintained, its probably fine.

Yeah, my impression is that maintenance was done.

The motor is (allegedly) "built" to 78hp at the wheel. So that makes me wonder a little about its life expectancy, but it was also apart for inspection within the last couple months, and has been ridden a few hundred miles since then.

Frankly, I am skeptical of anyone who claims their SV engine was built to 78hp, and I'm more inclined to believe it's mostly stock.

I guess the bottom line is that if the engine exploded tomorrow, it would be a choice between $500 to replace it, or just part the bike out and break even (maybe even profit).

Not horrible options even in the worst-case scenario.

78hp is just a cam swap. 1st gen motors didnt have near the wheelie/crank issues of the 2nd gens. if its been recently rebuilt/freshened, then it should be good to go. that many miles without being inspected i would be worried, but not if it's been maintained.  you can find sv motors for a few hundred bucks.

I just bought a 2000 sv myself with 25k on it. In my research they seem to be about bullet proof as long as it's kept on two wheels. The regulator/rectifirer and the cam chain tensioners seem to be the weak links in the gen 1 bikes . I haven't seen a gen 1 dyno 78 rwhp but I've seen them pull 71-73 hp with a gen 2 cam swap. Not saying it's impossible, just from what I've researched . I love mine this far. I'm normally the guy who has terrible buyers remorse and hates to spend money. I haven't had a single ounce of regret or buyers remorse. The 145 miles I've put on the sv have been my most fun 145 miles I've ever ridden. I can't wait to get it to the mountains and the track.

Edited by oldschoolsdime92

If you can get it "dirt cheap" Then hell yea, hop on the SV train. They're fairly Cheapish to maintain, easy on tires, and can be modded as far as your wallet can go. I think the 1st gens were a little more prone to get water in the front spark plug hole if you plan on riding in heavy rain. But other then that fairly bullet proof. I've put around 31k on my 2nd gen with no mechanical issues at all.

Ask for maintenance records. At 48k it should have the valve adjusted at least twice. Check for play in the forks. You'll feel a clunk when you push the bike back and forth with the front brake pulled. How cheap is cheap? I got my 2000 track sv for 1k and it had 9000 miles, but no title. I certainly wouldn't pay any more than $1k for an sv with 48k on the clock.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

well, apparently "I'll text you Friday to make sure everything is cool" (for me to pick up the bike on Sunday) means "I'm going to sell the bike before Sunday."

fucker.

I get that Craigslist buyers can be unreliable, but I got in contact with this guy through the NESBA board.  We have a couple mutual acquaintances.  I was in regular and consistent text-message contact with him, and he knew I was planning to drive 5+ hours from Cleveland to pick up the bike in WV.  The odds of me driving that far and then just taking a joyride and kicking the tires is pretty fucking low.

I know cash is king and all, but I'm still a little fucking irritated here.  I knew $750 for a running SV650 was too good to be true.