Ancient Confession Found: 'We Invented Jesus Christ'

Casper

Also interesting when science backs up the bible.

Keep in mind that the bible is not, nor does it try to be the answer for everything.

Rather it offers only the offer of forgiveness, for free. Past present and future.

no more, no less.

That's the same formula that most religions use.

#1. You must first be convinced that you have some fatal flaw.

#2. What's the "cure"? Surprise surprise, joining their cult is the magic cure to your fatal flaw...the one they just convinced you that you have.

With christianity, you're a "sinner" (no matter how good you really are) and unworthy of the eternal happiness offered by their after death mythology.

With scientology, you're infected with energy sucking alien ghosts called thetans, they drain you and keep you from reaching your full potential.

That's the same formula that most religions use.

#1. You must first be convinced that you have some fatal flaw.

#2. What's the "cure"? Surprise surprise, joining their cult is the magic cure to your fatal flaw...the one they just convinced you that you have.

With christianity, you're a "sinner" (no matter how good you really are) and unworthy of the eternal happiness offered by their after death mythology.

With scientology, you're infected with energy sucking alien ghosts called thetans, they drain you and keep you from reaching your full potential.

Not at all true.

Christianity believes you are "saved" by faith not by your "works" (being a good person etc.) And please don't fall into the trap of thinking Catholics, Protestants, Lutherans, Baptists etc are Christians. They spell them differently for a reason.

Cults on the other hand always try to "earn" their acceptance to God with their "works".

In Christianity there are no "good people" in Heaven, only forgiven ones.

Yes, by this logic Hitler could have made it to Heaven even after killing all the Jews. Don't think he did, but he could have.

Your perception of Religion is pretty common. I have to admit that most "Religions" fall right into your cross hairs. As you well know bundling them all together is a sure fire way to stir things up. But then again, thats what your trying to do isn't it?

• Upvote 2

Not at all true.

Christianity believes you are "saved" by faith not by your "works" (being a good person etc.) And please don't fall into the trap of thinking Catholics, Protestants, Lutherans, Baptists etc are Christians. They spell them differently for a reason.

Cults on the other hand always try to "earn" their acceptance to God with their "works".

In Christianity there are no "good people" in Heaven, only forgiven ones.

Yes, by this logic Hitler could have made it to Heaven even after killing all the Jews. Don't think he did, but he could have.

Your perception of Religion is pretty common. I have to admit that most "Religions" fall right into your cross hairs. As you well know bundling them all together is a sure fire way to stir things up. But then again, thats what your trying to do isn't it?

That is EXACTLY what i said, nothing to do with "works" vs "faith"

There is a fatal flaw with me, I was born with it. I am a "sinner". The only "cure" for this flaw is !Tadaa! Christianity.

Also I love my father, my mother, my sister, my nieces, my nephew, and myself, so I cannot be a christian (jesus said so)

So why do you hate your family so much?

If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

I'm pretty sure I know your response to this particular passage, and it's a cop out. "he said "hate" and he meant "love less than me""

Then why does the bible say "hate"? Did he mix up his words? did someone mess up when translating the bible? (that can't happen, it's the true word of god)

That is EXACTLY what i said, nothing to do with "works" vs "faith"

Um, no. It's not anything like you said.

Try reading it again, slowly instead of trying to find a rebuttal as your reading it.

How can it be "exactly" when in fact that is the very difference I am pointing out?

Try reading it again, slowly instead of trying to find a rebuttal as your reading it.

How can it be "exactly" when in fact that is the very difference I am pointing out?

#1 define "christian" and tell me how catholics, baptists etc do not fit that definition.

#2 Yes it is EXACTLY what i said...

Read slowly and understand...

According to Christianity ALL humans are "sinners" and damned to hell.

Me: OH NO! How do I fix this fatal flaw? Can I dedicate my life to serving others, feeding the hungry, healing the sick, and doing good things on my own?

Christians: NOPE! That won't work, you're still damned to hell!

Me: What if I dedicate my life to finding a cure for some disease that kills millions of people and causes undue suffering to children?

Christians: NOPE That won't be enough, you're still damned to hell.

Me: What do I do to save myself from this terrible post death fate of burning dead for eternity?

Christians: Become a christian

Me: So all I need to do is become a Christian?

Christians: yep

Now depending on what denomination you're talking about, various sects do require certain behavioral standards, but the 1 thing they ALL have in common is that the most important thing is that you join their cult.

Edited by magley64

Wasting your time..........and Christians are just lost miserable and hypocritical souls that need a mythical being to believe in. Man is obviously the ultimate creature and knowledge is king, you must never take into consideration that proof of one thing ultimately leads back to another.

Wasting your time..........and Christians are just lost miserable and hypocritical souls that need a mythical being to believe in. Man is obviously the ultimate creature and knowledge is king, you must never take into consideration that proof of one thing ultimately leads back to another.

Infinite regression...

so how is your god immune from infinite regression? Oh yeah "magic" again... right?

The Magdor is like most people who are compelled to deny their true nature and resent anything that says otherwise.....it reminds me of the libtard mentality of always being a victim.  Now that doesn't imply that only libtards reject the notion that there is a God...no, people with a conservative bent are just as likely to deny His existence and do so vehemently. 

The truth is none of us are truly "good" if we're willing to take a real close and honest look at ourselves....our disposition, inclination, thoughts, and motives need to be tested in light of what the Bible says about our condition.  If we then take a closer look at the scriptures we'll begin to see that God is right and just in what He has to say about our condition - the sinful nature of man inherited from Adam and all of the forms of evil which spring forth from it.  All you have to do is watch two small children fight over a toy and realize that there truly is something wrong with us (not to mention all of the utter madness present in the world around us).   

And our "good" isn't good enough (not by works but by faith) for entrance into the kingdom of God.

• Upvote 2

The Magdor is like most people who are compelled to deny their true nature and resent anything that says otherwise.....it reminds me of the libtard mentality of always being a victim.  Now that doesn't imply that only libtards reject the notion that there is a God...no, people with a conservative bent are just as likely to deny His existence and do so vehemently. 

The truth is none of us are truly "good" if we're willing to take a real close and honest look at ourselves....our disposition, inclination, thoughts, and motives need to be tested in light of what the Bible says about our condition.  If we then take a closer look at the scriptures we'll begin to see that God is right and just in what He has to say about our condition - the sinful nature of man inherited from Adam and all of the forms of evil which spring forth from it.  All you have to do is watch two small children fight over a toy and realize that there truly is something wrong with us (not to mention all of the utter madness present in the world around us).   

And our "good" isn't good enough (not by works but by faith) for entrance into the kingdom of God.

Thank you for repeating what I just said, but sanctimoniously...

"we're fatally flawed, the only cure is christianity"

1. Your bible is a shitty moral compass, it condones slavery, mass murder, and genocide.

2. Your god is the product of the imagination of bronze age goat herders... and thus isn't very imaginative.

Now why do you hate your family so much?

If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

If that is not the definition of cult mentality.. i don't know what is.

Edited by magley64

#1 define "christian" and tell me how catholics, baptists etc do not fit that definition.

#2 Yes it is EXACTLY what i said...

Read slowly and understand...

According to Christianity ALL humans are "sinners" and damned to hell.

Me: OH NO! How do I fix this fatal flaw? Can I dedicate my life to serving others, feeding the hungry, healing the sick, and doing good things on my own?

Christians: NOPE! That won't work, you're still damned to hell!

Me: What if I dedicate my life to finding a cure for some disease that kills millions of people and causes undue suffering to children?

Christians: NOPE That won't be enough, you're still damned to hell.

Me: What do I do to save myself from this terrible post death fate of burning dead for eternity?

Christians: Become a christian

Me: So all I need to do is become a Christian?

Christians: yep

Now depending on what denomination you're talking about, various sects do require certain behavioral standards, but the 1 thing they ALL have in common is that the most important thing is that you join their cult.

#1) Christianity does not have the sub-set of beliefs or rituals that the other ones do have. Which is why they broke away from the main doctrine and now have their own individual names or denominations. A number of them believe you have to earn your way to Gods grace by your actions. Christianity does not believe that your actions alone will earn you God's favor.

#2) You are mostly correct, I read it too fast and missed a point or two. A little dramatic but you have the basic idea. After thinking about this for a bit I am inclined to say you don't have to join anything to be saved, just believe. Of course someone will want you to join their group but you don't have to. Not joining does not mean God will forsake you. Pretty sure on this.

If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple

This is from Luke it appears 14:26 and you have quoted it out of context so the meaning is hard to understand. Yes, these very words are in the Bible. But in the context of the rest of the passages it seems to me to be a challenge to the crowd following him. A reminder that they had wives and children to care for. Would they claim they did hate everyone? If they did, do you think Jesus would have accepted them?

It is part of a section in Luke that has many parables meant to convey an idea with the telling of a story. Quoting a line or two from one of them isn't the best way to understand the parable.

Edited by Strictly Street
  • Upvote 2

According to the Catholics, we are all born with original sin. (hence the boot from Eden)

What is most troubling about this:

By joining up and admitting to Christ being your savoiur, repenting, doing some hail marys and our fathers + 10% to the house of God.

All sins are to be forgiven. If you mess up, simply repeat every week and all is good in the eyes of the lord = sin free (so long is no Mortal sins are commited)

Now, you go out one night and get sinful with a fellow sinner, come back, pay up, do your due diligence and that transgression i forgiven.

9.5 months later, God rewards your sinful behavouir with a miracle = birth of a child.

Now this sweet and innocent child that has done nothing wrong and was born to parents that were absolved from sin = is a sinner. "Origninal Sin"

Now this innocent child that has committed no transgressions against god, church or other beings has a medical issue and dies moments after birth.

Is this child of god welcomed into heaven = NOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poor little un-baptized child of god, lived all of 30 minutes of life gets to spend the rest of eternity in Purgatory. Yes, the spot all Catholics go to until deemed worthy of entry into Heaven. However, the baby cannot enter because it was never baptized = paid their fee to the house of the lord. "Limbo of the unbaptized".

Now, the church has changed its position on this recently but can only offer hope that infants will pass into Heaven. No official statement which also can be interpreted as probably not but until we get there, we will never know for sure.

F that noise and I will take a giant PASS, PASS, PASS!!!

PS, the story above is real and only the names were witheld to protect the innocent. (thankfully, not mine)

Purgatory:

The Catechism of the Catholic Church defines purgatory as a "purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven," which is experienced by those "who die in God’s grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified" (CCC 1030). It notes that "this final purification of the elect . . . is entirely different from the punishment of the damned" (CCC 1031). 

The purification is necessary because, as Scripture teaches, nothing unclean will enter the presence of God in heaven (Rev. 21:27) and, while we may die with our mortal sins forgiven, there can still be many impurities in us, specifically venial sins and the temporal punishment due to sins already forgiven. 

bap·tism  (babreve.gifpprime.giftibreve.gifzlprime.gifschwa.gifm)

n.
1. A religious sacrament marked by the symbolic application of water to the head or immersion of the body into water and resulting in admission of the recipient into the community of Christians.
2. A ceremony, trial, or experience by which one is initiated, purified, or given a name.

Edited by Revelstoker

Catholic is spelled different from Christian because they believe different things. Catholics must earn their way into Gods grace. They have purgatory and a few other things Christians don't have.

Your post is a much more dramatic version of the question "Do all people born before Jesus go to Hell"? Or "What of cavemen? Are they all doomed"?

I think the answer is in Romans 4:15 "because the law brings wrath. And where there is no law there is no transgression."

I take this to mean that if you have never heard the word of God because you are too young or lived before there was a bible you get a free pass.

Romans 5:13 "To be sure, sin was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not charged against anyone’s account where there is no law."

Also seems to answer the caveman question. And yes, I am quoting out of context to illustrate the point that the Bible seems to say differently than the Catholic church does.

Edited by Strictly Street

Let's have a look at some former atheists and why they decided to become Christians.

I especially like the ones of scientists, well educated, smarter than any ten of us put

together.  With all the advancements in science, why would they choose to be, of all things,

a christian?

http://www.bethinking.org/stories-illustrations/intermediate/from-atheism-to-christianity-a-personal-journey.htm

http://www.doesgodexist.org/AboutClayton/PastLife.html

http://christianity.about.com/od/drugandalcoholaddiction/a/Coming-Out-Of-A-Trance.htm

http://www.christianpost.com/news/formeratheist-christianity-really-does-make-sense-46146/

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/crossexamined/2012/10/i-used-to-be-an-atheist-just-like-you-2/

• Upvote 2

The great fairy tale in a nutshell, and since we are not God we cannot even comprehend understanding God. He can do limitless things, nothing is beyond the scope of what he can do "including our reality". No doubt a vast majority here would not even begin or consider reading much if any of these most excellent links below, I believe it explains much very well and puts allot into human perspective. I love when people say they are too intelligent to believe in God, and those that do are basically mentally challenged and fools. The Bible scares allot of Scientists, because they realize that just too much of what is in there could very well be true and they do not understand how it could be nor can they disprove it. Man and the things we do and what we have done is in no way a reflection of God, man was made in God's image but man is not God. Once the fall of man occurred, everything changed and we are still the product of that occurrence. Science is in the Bible "and lots of it", describes many things that were not known or discovered by man until years and years after it was written. Every skeptic will without a doubt find what they believe is evidence to prove otherwise and the flaws that they believe the Bible is full of, is it not in our very nature to doubt? The smartest most brilliant minds get stumped every day, yet they will never give up their qwest for knowledge and the truth. The Bible frustrates some of those brilliant minds to no end, and it always will. ;) 

http://www.understanding-the-bible.com/index.html

http://www.clarifyingchristianity.com/science.shtml

Catholic is spelled different from Christian because they believe different things.

Ok, hair splitting.

Methodist, Mormon, Baptist, Protestant/Lutheran,...Catholic are all religions based on Jesus Christ.

They are three major religions of Abraham = Christianity, Islam and Judaism of which Catholicism evolved from Christianity amd the belief of Jesus Christ.

Just because the Catholic church chose to develop based on the assumption of decendents of St. Peter, apostolic succession,

and Baptists from John the Baptist, doesn't make them any less Christian.

Yes, differences but all threads from the same cloth. Besides. Besides, Wiki tells us: The Catholic Church is the largest denomination with over 1.1 billion members, over half of all Christians worldwide

Edited by Revelstoker
  • Upvote 1

Christianity doesn't work for me. I can't accept it as a viable way of life. Jesus' teaching is pretty good, but I still can't gel with "you're shit even though we've discovered a design flaw in the beta program". Dick move on "god's" part, if you ask me.

I have no interest in religion, but if I ever did decide to pick a team... Buddhism seems pretty I the ball in regard to having a philosophy that actually makes sense. "Life is suffering and it's probably your fault" seems to sum up this world we currently inhabit.

And that is exactly why the only perfect human being "eventhough he is God" that has ever walked this Earth came and did what he did.......and we don't even deserve it. It was the gift that trumps all gifts, and one day I am gonna cash in on that gift. Why does God allow bad things to happen? John:16:33 “You will have suffering in this world.” 

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” Life can sure suck here and many times it is just not fair what happens and does not make any sense, and in those times we either denounce God or pull closer. So yes God does allow bad things to happen, he must or free will could never exist. 

I'm pretty sure I know your response to this particular passage, and it's a cop out. "he said "hate" and he meant "love less than me""

Then why does the bible say "hate"? Did he mix up his words? did someone mess up when translating the bible? (that can't happen, it's the true word of god)

You have to remember, bible times are a lot like Quebec. 2 languages. Jesus was most likely speaking Aramaic at the time and the word does actually mean love less, so when it was translated from Aramaic, to Hebrew, into Latin, well you get the point it's telephone for spoken word that wasn't translated for 300-600 years

And that is exactly why the only perfect human being "eventhough he is God" that has ever walked this Earth came and did what he did.......and we don't even deserve it. It was the gift that trumps all gifts, and one day I am gonna cash in on that gift. Why does God allow bad things to happen? John:16:33 “You will have suffering in this world.” 

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” Life can sure suck here and many times it is just not fair what happens and does not make any sense, and in those times we either denounce God or pull closer. So yes God does allow bad things to happen, he must or free will could never exist. 

umm, Jesus wasn't perfect... You do realize there was 28-30 years of his life that passed before he spent ONLY 3 years spreading the word of God? He was a carpenter, I'm pretty sure he smashed a finger at some point and let out a curse word. Remember when he disobeyed Joseph and Mary in the temple? He broke one of the Ten Commandments doing that.

Ok, hair splitting.

Methodist, Mormon, Baptist, Protestant/Lutheran,...Catholic are all religions based on Jesus Christ.

They are three major religions of Abraham = Christianity, Islam and Judaism of which Catholicism evolved from Christianity amd the belief of Jesus Christ.

Just because the Catholic church chose to develop based on the assumption of decendents of St. Peter, apostolic succession,

and Baptists from John the Baptist, doesn't make them any less Christian.

Yes, differences but all threads from the same cloth. Besides. Besides, Wiki tells us: The Catholic Church is the largest denomination with over 1.1 billion members, over half of all Christians worldwide

You are correct hair splitting to be sure, however consider why don't we call all of them Abrhamic and leave it at that?

Minor differences have major differences in meaning which in turn effect the results.

They can't all be right at the same time, can they? So I do think it does make a difference.

It's all bullshit. Fuck it, let's have a beer.

Lmao @ "science is in the bible".

Even if scientists "who are smarter than you and I" back it up huh? Aside from God claiming he created everything, much in the Bible pertaining to the Earth and the heavens is mentioned before man had ANY IDEA. The scientific methods and technology were not yet in place, and the age alone of the Bible whether written by a bunch of men or not still predates mans discoveries.Claim BS all ya want, people much smarter than you and I believe it to be remarkably accurate and true. Ancient ruins of cities and many artifacts in the Bible are being discovered all the time, cities and people that archaeologists cannot believe actually existed.......but they did.