Range Reviews

madcat6183

Might be a decent thread to get some info on local ranges, deals, info, hookups, or even group shoots.

I'm hitting LEPD at lunch for a quick break in on my new Ruger and to put a few rounds down range in 2 guns I bought used but never fired.  Anyone been there, feelings, etc?  I'm going to be there pretty early in the day, 11amish, and hope it's not busy since it's just a quick stop.  The guy I worked with at Cabela's when I picked up my Ruger said he qualifies there twice a year and loves it.  Turns out only 10.6 miles from my office and figure I can be there and back with 30 mins of shooting in just over an hour unless I start shopping, or jacking around. 

I've never shot at Ohio Valley Outdoors in Lancaster, but went in last Saturday to check out prices and ammo and no one was there.  This was at 10:05am so they had just opened, but any other time that place has a full parking lot.  Anyone shoot there, if so is it always as busy as it looks?  I think they do like 12.95 for unlimited time unless people are waiting, is that right?

I know there are private clubs out there, but trying to stay local as day trips are pretty limited with the little guy right now.

I only shoot on private property as I don't trust a bunch of people I don't know to not swing their guns around like igits. I've seen lots of people in those places that don't know the first thing about gun safety.

I have a placewe can go if you want to shoot one night after work.

Roger that, LEPD was pretty legit, and actually I was in a seperate part all alone.  Their "Tactical" shooting area is sick, it's also their qualifying area.

It was 13.00 for 1/2 hour so not the cheapest and obviously not free like PP is, but for where it is, it's really nice.  Their ammo selection was unreal, like people must not go there for ammo, oh probably because it was 25% more than anywhere else, BUT they have everything so what can ya do?  Tons of 22, 38, 380, indoor and outdoor casings, etc.  But like I said it was at least 25% higher and most were more like 50% higher than anywhere else.  Think 21.99 for 50 9mm, 24.99 for 50 380, 24.99 for 50 38 special, all target loads.

Gun prices were okay, not as bad as their ammo, but not nearly what any sale anywhere would be.  But they had a lot of guns you won't find elsewhere, so that also helps.

Its 200ish for a membership, and knowing I can shoot there easily for 30-40 mins on my lunch might make that worth it.  16 times and it's paid for, BUT you only shoot FREE Tuesdays, the rest are discounted I think 50%, but if I have to pay, I won't use it.  I'd only shoot Tuesdays.

Definitely found out I need way more time on the range, and need to do some drills, but as a whole, everything shot the remmington and AE ammo just fine.  Good trip. 

Oh and the workers there took nice to a new level, probably the nicest people in a gun store/range I've ever met, except Dale ouf course.  Never met Todd at the shop, just a few rides I think. 

Only range I've ever been to beyond personal outdoor is AIMHI (New Albany Shooting Range). I have been there twice. As far as I could tell price seems legit and I don't think there is a limit on the amount of time you can shoot. Second time I went there I had a headache for the remainder of the day and seemed to still be looming the next day from the fumes. I don't remember this from the first time, but second time seemed to affect me. I am not really one to get headaches either.

I have been wanting to try LEPD, just haven't tried. I'd recommend AIMHI if someone was looking for something in that area. But, if I go back again and come out feeling ill, I probably won't go back there. Which really isn't a big loss for them since I rarely go.

The people there, from my experience, are very kind and helpful.

I have been to a few different indoor ranges, but most of my time is spent at Middletown Sportsman Club at their outdoor range. The range at Target World is average. Gun selection is real nice and I have had some pretty good conversations with a few of the guys behind the counter. Point Blank over in Blue Ash is a great place too. I picked up a few guns from there and the sales guys were good at asking questions and holding a conversation. It's nice when the guy behind the counter actually talks instead of stares at you while you are holding the gun. I had that experience down at Bass Pro Shops just the other day. I attempted to spark up a conversation with the guy, but he wasn't the least bit interested it seemed...

I have also been up to Vandalia Range & Armory. I was quite pleased with the range officer there. He were very attentive and had asked if I had ever been there before. I said "no" and the guy went through about a 5 minute "range rules" conversation with me. It wasn't much of anything I hadn't already known, but was nice to see that they were playing an active role with safety on the range. Point Blank has a video you watch the first time you go on the range and Target World has a piece of paper you have to read if you have never been there.

Killed an hour one day @ LEPD. It was nice in the morning when I was by myself. Then the lanes started filling up.

That was one of the first times I had been to a public range, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Overall it was OK.

Last I was there, all they had was range ammo, nothing for sale. Apparently that has changed.

I have a membership at AIMHI mainly because they're the closest to me. Was there again Thursday after work and enjoyed it; no headache afterward and the guys are friendly. I did have a bad customer service experience 10 years ago but that guy is gone.

I used to be a member at Blackwing and thoroughly enjoyed their trap range as well as the indoor rifle range. I just didn't go enough because it's far from Westerville and I can't figure out how to comfortably pack my Beretta 391 12G on a motorcycle. :-D

Edited by smccrory

Briar Rabbit in Zanesville is by far the best public outdoor within an hour of Columbus.

OVO in Lancaster is about the only indoor range I'll go to.

I'll +1 to Radio Flyer in regards to OVO...price is good and the people are friendly.

Closest range to me is AimHi..but I really do hate going there...always rude and I feel like I'm an inconvenience to them.

Guess I need to make more friends here who have some land  :crazy:

• 4 months later...

Briar Rabbit in Zanesville is by far the best public outdoor within an hour of Columbus.

OVO in Lancaster is about the only indoor range I'll go to.

Im with Radio Flyer on this, I got a membership at Ohio Valley Outdoors for a very good price, theres never a wait to get a lane, the staff is super friendly and they have a pretty good selection of firearms. I used to goto Powder Room up in Powell but if you want to get in on a saturday or sunday expect to wait 30-60 mins to get in.