Voyager 1: 15.8 Million Miles Into Interstellar Space

chevysoldier

Outrageous.

"When NASA’s Voyager 1 space probe launched on 5 September, 1977, its mission was to explore Jupiter and Saturn and help scientists learn more about our solar system. Thirty-six years later, Voyager 1 is still providing discoveries.

NASA recently learned that Voyager 1, which has now traveled more than 15.8 million miles from Earth, has moved so far from our planet that it is now in what is called interstellar space, or a region of our solar system, where it has come into contact with particles that were released by stars other than our sun."

http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/news/voyager-spacecraft-127785

So let me get this straight, in 1977 we had the technology to build a spacecraft that is still working 37 years later without maintenance and can send data back to Earth from farther than the Sun can emit solar wind but my cell phone can't get reception inside the hospital and my motorcycle needs service every 7500 miles? GTFO!

• Upvote 2

Voyager 1 uses a radioisotope thermoelectric generator for its power supply.  Reasonably, these could last 80-90 years without any maintenance or refueling - depending on how much energy the voyager needs to operate.  It's a pretty neat technology :) and technically what I'm writing my disseration on... well thermoelectric material development.

So let me get this straight, in 1977 we had the technology to build a spacecraft that is still working 37 years later without maintenance and can send data back to Earth from farther than the Sun can emit solar wind but my cell phone can't get reception inside the hospital and my motorcycle needs service every 7500 miles? GTFO!

Hospitals use EMF blocking paint (like YShield) to essentially disable cell phones. Lots of other places use the same stuff. FYI.