Leather Conditioning

2talltim

I have been using mink oil on the seat of my Connie. It works it just seems to wear away awful fast, seems like I'm having to reapply every couple weeks . Does the actual leather conditioning stuff last longer or is it just because it's out in the elements in the rain is making it go away quick. In other words I don't want to go spend money on different leather conditioner just to have the same result.

sent via GS3

Probably the sun does the most damage, makes conditioner dry up on leather that's exposed.  My wife used some conditioner on our chaps, coats, gloves, and I used a differnt kind for our bags and other leather stuff on the bikes.  The stuff I used on the bags doesn't seem to soften the leather like the other stuff does.

Just make sure you use a good foam leather cleaner first. Conditioner doesnt work unless all the nasty shit is out of the leather.

Its hide, skin... Its porous. The grime and oil needs removed before tge conditioner can penetrate the leather and work

this might be the problem, I have never cleaned it I just keep adding mink oil. My seat gets a lot of abuse, because it sit out in the dew at night when im at work and if I know im going to ride to work the next night ill leave it sit out in the sun all day on the sidewalk.

Edited by 2talltim

this might be the problem, I have never cleaned it I just keep adding mink oil. My seat gets a lot of abuse, because it sit out in the dew at night when im at work and if I know im going to ride to work the next night ill leave it sit out in the sun all day on the sidewalk.

Don't sweat it. I have a 2008, and the only conditioner I use is rain water. My bike sits outside the vast majority of time between March and November during the daytime. It is my primary vehicle for commuting in the spring, summer, and fall. I park it in the garage at night or when I need to us my car for family obligations. My seat still looks good. I however do use an Alaskan Sheepskin over a modified stock seat. If your bike is stock, the seat is a synthetic material that is designed for a long life. Enjoy!

I would imagine that it is significantly more comfortable that the stock seat. I want to find someone that has the Baldwin Grand Touring Seat, so I can sit on one prior to spending the coin on one. I use a stock seat with a Spencer's long distance modification. It works well for short and intermediate trips. Getting over 500 to 600 miles in a day requires a few stops.

I would imagine that it is significantly more comfortable that the stock seat. I want to find someone that has the Baldwin Grand Touring Seat, so I can sit on one prior to spending the coin on one. I use a stock seat with a Spencer's long distance modification. It works well for short and intermediate trips. Getting over 500 to 600 miles in a day requires a few stops.

I've done a few 300 mile days with no problems ill be doing 2 500 mile days next week we will see how that goes. I to would like a wider seat but I'm a cheap ass..lol

sent via GS3

I've done a few 300 mile days with no problems ill be doing 2 500 mile days next week we will see how that goes. I to would like a wider seat but I'm a cheap ass..lol

sent via GS3

The GT is his latest seat for the C14, and the reviews are fantastic. You have the original design, and Loren will gladly make whatever changes you need done to it "Winter perhaps". And no I am far from rich, got one helluva deal on that $500 dollar seat. Use the conditioner cleaner that I posted, that is what I used.

Edited by Pokey

My wife's uncle owns a professional auto detailing company and swears by lexol products. Not sure if it's that much better than Pokey's choice, but if her unc trusts his business to lexol leather products, that has to say something :dunno:

http://www.lexol.com/