Syria

Casper

US Military Action in Syria  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Should the US military strike Syria?

• Yes
    • No

Ugh. The domino effect sucks which there's got to be more to the domino.. I haven't followed this closely. Why do we care about Syria and the use of chemical warfare so much?

Ugh. The domino effect sucks which there's got to be more to the domino.. I haven't followed this closely. Why do we care about Syria and the use of chemical warfare so much?

It's a war crime.

And one of many war crimes commited by this government...apparently

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_during_the_Syrian_civil_war

Geneva Protocol

16px-Wikisource-logo.svg.pngGeneva Protocol to Hague Convention at Wikisource

The Protocol for the Prohibition of the Use in War of Asphyxiating, Poisonous or other Gases, and of Bacteriological Methods of Warfare, usually called the Geneva Protocol, is a treaty prohibiting the first use of chemical and biological weapons. It was signed at Geneva on 17 June 1925 and entered into force on 8 February 1928. It was registered in League of Nations Treaty Series on 7 September 1929.[4] The Geneva Protocol is a protocol to the Hague Conventions of 1899 and 1907.

It prohibits the use of "asphyxiating, poisonous or other gases, and of all analogous liquids, materials or devices" and "bacteriological methods of warfare". This is now understood to be a general prohibition on chemical weapons and biological weapons, but has nothing to say about production, storage or transfer. Later treaties did cover these aspects — the 1972 Biological Weapons Convention (BWC) and the 1993 Chemical Weapons Convention (CWC).

A number of countries submitted reservations when becoming parties to the Geneva Protocol, declaring that they only regarded the non-use obligations as applying to other parties and that these obligations would cease to apply if the prohibited weapons were used against them.

The main elements of the protocol are now considered by many to be part of customary international law.

Edited by magley64

If Putin follows through with his threat to attack SA-"A grim “urgent action memorandum” issued today from the office of President Putin to the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation is ordering a “massive military strike” against Saudi Arabia in the event that the West attacks Syria.

According to Kremlin sources familiar with this extraordinary “war order,” Putin became “enraged” after his early August meeting with Saudi Prince Bandar bin Sultan who warned that if Russia did not accept the defeat of Syria, Saudi Arabia would unleash Chechen terrorists under their control to cause mass death and chaos during the Winter Olympics scheduled to be held 7-23 February 2014 in Sochi, Russia.
Lebanese newspaper As-Safir confirmed this amazing threat against Russia saying that Prince Bandar pledged to safeguard Russia’s naval base in Syria if the Assad regime is toppled, but he also hinted at Chechen terrorist attacks on Russia’s Winter Olympics in Sochi if there is no accord by stating: “I can give you a guarantee to protect the Winter Olympics next year. The Chechen groups that threaten the security of the games are controlled by us.”- http://www.eutimes.net/2013/08/putin-orders-massive-strike-against-saudi-arabia-if-west-attacks-syria/ I wouldn't be surprised to see gas go wayyyy up at the pump.

If Putin follows through with his threat to attack SA-"A grim “urgent action memorandum” issued today from the office of President Putin to the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation is ordering a “massive military strike” against Saudi Arabia in the event that the West attacks Syria.

According to Kremlin sources familiar with this extraordinary “war order,” Putin became “enraged” after his early August meeting with Saudi Prince Bandar bin Sultan who warned that if Russia did not accept the defeat of Syria, Saudi Arabia would unleash Chechen terrorists under their control to cause mass death and chaos during the Winter Olympics scheduled to be held 7-23 February 2014 in Sochi, Russia.

Lebanese newspaper As-Safir confirmed this amazing threat against Russia saying that Prince Bandar pledged to safeguard Russia’s naval base in Syria if the Assad regime is toppled, but he also hinted at Chechen terrorist attacks on Russia’s Winter Olympics in Sochi if there is no accord by stating: “I can give you a guarantee to protect the Winter Olympics next year. The Chechen groups that threaten the security of the games are controlled by us.”- http://www.eutimes.net/2013/08/putin-orders-massive-strike-against-saudi-arabia-if-west-attacks-syria/ I wouldn't be surprised to see gas go wayyyy up at the pump.

Woah. More reading:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/energy/oilandgas/10266957/Saudis-offer-Russia-secret-oil-deal-if-it-drops-Syria.html

http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/politics/2013/08/saudi-russia-putin-bandar-meeting-syria-egypt.html

Bandar told Putin, “There are many common values ​​and goals that bring us together, most notably the fight against terrorism and extremism all over the world. Russia, the US, the EU and the Saudis agree on promoting and consolidating international peace and security. The terrorist threat is growing in light of the phenomena spawned by the Arab Spring. We have lost some regimes. And what we got in return were terrorist experiences, as evidenced by the experience of the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt and the extremist groups in Libya. ... As an example, I can give you a guarantee to protect the Winter Olympics in the city of Sochi on the Black Sea next year. The Chechen groups that threaten the security of the games are controlled by us, and they will not move in the Syrian territory’s direction without coordinating with us. These groups do not scare us. We use them in the face of the Syrian regime but they will have no role or influence in Syria’s political future.”

To be fair we have tried hard to stay out of this mess. But most western democracies aren't going to stand by and watch chemical weapon attacks.

I feel bad for those involved and at least now if America gets involved we won't be alone. Unlike Iraq and to some extent Afghanistan.

Economy and NSA aside. This is a real issue to a lot of people. If it were up to me, I say one large series of bombs on all the government offices taking out the regime and most associated persons. The government will collapse. Chaise will ensue and hopefully when the dust settles its a better place. Let Russia fix it.

This kinda thing makes that XL pipeline look pretty good right about now.

On the other hand, who could have possibly guessed there would be troubles in the middle east.

It's not like they have been fighting for the last few thousand years.

Good job Mr. President, well played.

• Upvote 1

Ark

On the other hand, who could have possibly guessed there would be troubles in the middle east.

It's not like they have been fighting for the last few thousand years.

Good job Mr. President, well played.

We don't need to be piping in hundreds of thousands of gallons of shit we have no way of cleaning up...did we learn nothing from the bp spill or the arkansas oil spill?

I'd rather pay a few cents more per gallon than have a country polluted as shit from shitty sludge oil that sinks in water...

• Downvote 2

its never been a bad idea

Ark

We don't need to be piping in hundreds of thousands of gallons of shit we have no way of cleaning up...did we learn nothing from the bp spill or the arkansas oil spill?

I'd rather pay a few cents more per gallon than have a country polluted as shit from shitty sludge oil that sinks in water...

you do realize that the XL pipeline and underwater drilling are two VERY DIFFERENT things right?

Based on your logic in that post, hundreds of thousands of miles of America are already saturated with oil that can't be cleaned up

its never been a bad idea

you do realize that the XL pipeline and underwater drilling are two VERY DIFFERENT things right?

Based on your logic in that post, hundreds of thousands of miles of America are already saturated with oil that can't be cleaned up

I realize this, but had the spill that happened in the gulf happened ON LAND, it would have been WAY WAY WAY worse...

if a mere 175,000 gallons from a small leak in the pegasus pipeline hasn't YET been completely cleaned up imagine how much worse it would have been if it were 8 times bigger...(keystone XL) or 1200 times bigger (deep water horizon)...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/2013/04/07/its-crazy-to-think-keystone-xl-wont-leak/

You guys like to complain about how we're leaving all this debt for our children, what about leaving them a literal ticking time bomb of massive pollution when this thing starts to leak?

Edited by magley64

I realize this, but had the spill that happened in the gulf happened ON LAND, it would have been WAY WAY WAY worse...

if a mere 175,000 gallons from a small leak in the pegasus pipeline hasn't YET been completely cleaned up imagine how much worse it would have been if it were 8 times bigger...(keystone XL) or 1200 times bigger (deep water horizon)...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/2013/04/07/its-crazy-to-think-keystone-xl-wont-leak/

You guys like to complain about how we're leaving all this debt for our children, what about leaving them a literal ticking time bomb of massive pollution when this thing starts to leak?

if you truly realized it (you don't) you'd understand your argument is invalid because the reason the deep water horizon leaked cannot happen on land because that method isn't used on land

Furthermore, the XL pipeline is just that....a pipeline where as the deep water horizon is an oil well where drilling happens. I'll stop there because I should probably know a lot more about it than I do being in the field I am but I have more pressing matters on a daily basis at work so I know enough to get me in trouble by saying stupid shit that is inaccurate

Lastly, debt is guaranteed. Is a ticking time bomb guaranteed? Well nobody truly knows and if you say you do you're full of even more shit than usual. The changes in the environment could be cyclical, could be human forced or could just be the way things go in evolution or science or whatever spaghetti monster BS people want to believe

Edited by Bad324

Lastly, debt is guaranteed. Is a ticking time bomb guaranteed? Well nobody truly knows and if you say you do you're full of even more shit than usual. The changes in the environment could be cyclical, could be human forced or could just be the way things go in evolution or science or whatever spaghetti monster BS people want to believe

I'm not even talking about climate change... I'm talking about thousands of gallons of liquid shit squirting up onto people's front lawns, and into their favorite fishing spot, turning nice clean water and land into polluted wasteland...

http://cleantechnica.com/2013/08/18/residents-of-mayflower-ar-look-back-on-pegasus-pipeline-spill/

Edited by magley64

Ark

I'm not even shocked at your response. Rather the knee jerk reaction was expected.

• Upvote 1

a few cents LOL

Okay, go... find me a study that shows how much gas prices will go down if the keystone is built...

I'm finding lots and lots of reports that say it will actually drive prices UP...but haven't had time to look at them in depth...

no thanks, I quite frankly am too lazy nor do I care that much to need a cited source to please you. I'd rather go off the stuff I've seen and heard at Oil and Gas Summits/Conferences and trade shows.

I also don't care much about the price, I care more about it being a small step in the right direction of telling the Middle East to go fuck itself

no thanks, I quite frankly am too lazy nor do I care that much to need a cited source to please you. I'd rather go off the stuff I've seen and heard at Oil and Gas Summits/Conferences and trade shows.

I also don't care much about the price, I care more about it being a small step in the right direction of telling the Middle East to go fuck itself

That's not what you said a second ago, you said "a few cents, lol" implying that it would in fact lower prices significantly more than a few cents...

as for getting off of middle eastern oil, we ALREADY import over half of our oil from canada...

Edited by magley64

Part of this whole problem was like bad said, it being such a deepwater pipeline.  Sure the spill would have been terrible had it happened on land, but we also would have been much more capable of getting to the leak and would not have need such extrmem measures to try and stop it.  bad324 is completely right and mag, as usual you are so far offbase you are in another galaxy.......as usual.

• Upvote 1

so no one gives a damn about the pegasus pipeline as an example of what is going to happen down the road with keystone?

OR all the evidence showing that it will actually drive global gas prices HIGHER?

SERIOUSLY?

Edited by magley64

That's not what you said a second ago, you said "a few cents, lol" implying that it would in fact lower prices significantly more than a few cents...

as for getting off of foreign oil, we ALREADY import over half of our oil from canada...

per your strict use of definitions

Few: a small number of.

synonyms: a small number, a handful, one or two, a couple, two or three

so yes, everything I've heard and read shows that it will be significantly more than a few