School Me On 2003 Powerstroke 7.3l Turbo Engines

scottb

post-11634-0-51757000-1377737695_thumb.jI have a chance to purchase a very low mileage ( 26,600)  2003 Ford F350 extended cab, 8 foot bed, 2 wheel drive, automatic, Powerstroke 7.3 liter turbo diesel. I searched Google and seen issues with the 6.0 diesel engine. The 7.3 seems to be hit or miss.

This truck was used by a retired couple to haul a 35 foot fifth wheel RV to Texas every year since 2003. They did the snowbird thing. The husband passed away in 2011 and the wife is looking to sell.

The one son drove the truck a few times a year, just to drive it so it would not be sitting.

They are the original owners and the truck was purchased just to tow the RV.

When the truck and camper was back in ohio for the summer, both were stored in side a large out building on their property.

I have only seen one picture of the truck and there is zero rust that can be seen in the side profile picture.

As for the engine, this will be my first diesel.

Beside the basic stuff, oil level and condition, check for leaks, and under the truck for rusty lines or dry rotted tires, what areas should I check on the engine itself?

I suspect the owner will have any service history since they needed the truck to haul to Texas and it appears they have the means to keep up on any thing it may have needed.

I also have the option to purchase the 5th wheel to, but currently do not have place close by to store a 35 foot camper.

SO, what do I need to know about a powerstroke?

2003 was the last year of the 7.3 and I think they phased out mid year. Expect sloppy steering. Most people would choose the 7.3. I wouldn't worry a out it sitting for long periods. Mileage is super low. You see these with 10-15 times more mileage.

I've been looking for a SRW 7.3L 250/350 4x4.

Yeah dude I'd grab that thing if youre planning to tow, or heck just for fun.  The 7.3 was built to be abused, and pretty much what everyone said already, leaks some oil, sloppy steering(replace the stabilizer shock often), and are kinda on the loud end of a stock diesel, but in a good way. 

They ride like trucks, although I bet that one is pretty loaded and rides softer than some.  Main things you'd want to do if you got it, oil/filter change go to Rotella T6, and fuel filter change.  Use either Motocraft or Racor only for both, available at dieselfiltersonline.com cheaper than anywhere.

That thing will also hold it's value big time, especially with that low of miles and being a 1 owner, I mean I bet whatever you pay now, you'd get back in 5 years unless you put 20K a year on, and beat the he11 out of it.  And even then you wouldn't lose much.

Definitely a great truck, can't comment on the 5er, if you get me more specs I can assist with any info on that, but wouldn't have an idea if the package deal was or wasn't worth it.  Then again, I'd just do it if you can, you won't regret a way to get away whenever you want, pretty much anywhere you want.  I know I dont

My '99 F350 DRW 7.3L just rolled 200k. The transmission was rebuilt at 190k, it leaks a bit of oil and the steering was pretty sloppy. I have recently replaced all the shocks and ball joints. Also tightened up the steering gear box a bit to try and offset the sloppy steering. I didn't really need to do these things, but it seems that every vehicle I own, I usually update the suspension. I use mine to haul a 28' fifth wheel. Sometimes I throw a trailer on the back of that and haul my bike with me. It pulls like nothing is back there.

13+-+1.jpg

Sorry, but I don't agree with doubling, just not safe.  I know people tow way bigger doubles than this, but in the end, IMHO it's an accident, and a bad one waiting to happen.   At least your 5er isn't a 40+double, because I hate seeing that on the highway, and usually try to get past as fast as possible. 

I had a 16ft dump trailer behind my 01 powerstroke loaded to the top with concrete... Every bit of 20k lbs in just concrete...pulled it with ease, you could feel it back there, but it didn't affect the truck...drove smooth, stopped normally, and cruised down the freeway at 70 with it... I miss my truck lol... I want another, I'm just so picky I can't find the one I want lol

Sorry, but I don't agree with doubling, just not safe.  I know people tow way bigger doubles than this, but in the end, IMHO it's an accident, and a bad one waiting to happen.   At least your 5er isn't a 40+double, because I hate seeing that on the highway, and usually try to get past as fast as possible.

No problem, my 5er is on the shorter side of them and also an ultralight. I wouldn't tow anything I didn't feel comfortable with. I understand what you are saying though as the same can't be said about everyone being in control of their rig.

7.3L are the shizzle. The only downfalls of those trucks are crank sensors and if its a manual is the dual node fly wheel crap (goes bad and vibrates until it shatters the tail shaft). But it's like a one year deal they uses the dual node. That is truly hit or miss on what vehicles they are in.

The glow plug relay on mine goes bad about every other year, About $80 at napa, I have never had an issue with the crank sensor but believe there was a recall for them. I thought I read somewhere that the 7.3 was put in until mid Nov 02 for the 03 model year

Buy it, cant go wrong. Can always resell, they are a hot commodity. Check out Ford Truck Enthusiast forum. Lot of great info and a sponser Riffraff diesel has all the upgrades and parts. Engine is a Navistar, so can use international parts. Got 210,000 on mine and runs lie a scalled dog. 428 Hp, 950 lbs torque

Buy it, cant go wrong. Can always resell, they are a hot commodity. Check out Ford Truck Enthusiast forum. Lot of great info and a sponser Riffraff diesel has all the upgrades and parts. Engine is a Navistar, so can use international parts. Got 210,000 on mine and runs lie a scalled dog. 428 Hp, 950 lbs torque

What all's done to yours?

Just a quick update, I will be looking at the truck and 5th wheel RV this Saturday.

I am pretty sure I am gonna buy the truck for sure.

No plans yet to hot rod it, just drive it "as is".

Although, after looking at some truck on the powerstroke.org forum, there is some sweet lift / tire combo's out there.