My Custom Built Semi Auto Black Rifle

everoblivion2005

Just figured I'd post up my Custom Build.  Built this from the ground up, here's a list of parts:

Lower: Aero Precision (Stripped Lower)

Upper: Aero Precision (Stripped Upper)

Lower/upper Parts Kit: Daniel Defense Mil Spec

Grip: ERgo

Buffer Tube: Spikes Tactical Mil Spec

Stock: Magpul ACS-L Mil Spec

Bolt Carrier: Fail Zero NiB

Bolt: LMT Enhanced 6.8SPC

Barrel: Daniel Defense S2W 16" 6.8SPC

Device: PRI Quiet Brake

Rail: Daniel Defense 12" Lite Rail

Foregrip: Gripod

Iron Sights: Magpul MBUS II

Main Sight: Eotech XPS3-0

109439d1373338757-custom-built-6-8-spc-a

109443d1373338757-custom-built-6-8-spc-a

44619d1335714274-just-finished-zombie-co

Above is the digital target at Vandalia armory (ignore the rouge shot to the left, we'll just say I was "Sighting In"), shooting profile was standing, trigger pattern was 5 shot bursts with less than 1 sec spacing between shots.

So if anyone is thinking of buying an AR I highly suggest building your own instead.  Its much more satisfying and you know every part if the weapon inside and out.  Also feel free to let me know if you need any advice or help.

Cool! I'm about to build one. What kind of $ should I expect to have in it when it's all done?

All I have so far is the lower and tube.

Well.... I started this build thinking "I'm gonna save so much money" and to be honest I did vs buying a prefab with all these parts.  I invested about $2900 in this build (including the optic).  You "can" build a 5.56 carbine for under 900, but that is all basic/basic/basic parts with iron sights only.  I went 6.8SPC for the better on target ballistic performance and since i'm currently building a .338 Lapua SASS i didn't need the range of the 5.56. (And I can still get ammo easily).

nice airsoft gun. 

... huh?

Well.... I started this build thinking "I'm gonna save so much money" and to be honest I did vs buying a prefab with all these parts.  I invested about $2900 in this build (including the optic).  You "can" build a 5.56 carbine for under 900, but that is all basic/basic/basic parts with iron sights only.  I went 6.8SPC for the better on target ballistic performance and since i'm currently building a .338 Lapua SASS i didn't need the range of the 5.56. (And I can still get ammo easily).

... huh?

airsoft is a 6mm projectile also...

About $1,200 to start and then add another $1,000 for all the shit you will want to add over the next year.

Get metal. Don't be cheap and make a AR from tupperware.

Those full AR kits minus the lower are great deals. Hard as hell to find right now.

$100 for a lower

$150-$200 for a parts kit and stock

$500 for an assembled upper (Hunt around on Gunbroker and you'll find one you like. Quad rail, RGB, etc.)

$200 Troy BUIS (Well worth the $120 more than Magpul IMO)

$25 Magpul RVG (Perfect length. Not too long, not to short).

Brands don't matter that much. You don't need high end parts. You don't need to gear queer it out. BUIS work great once you're used to them (Providing the platform has a decent sight radius). Save the optic money for an ACOG or something to reach out and touch someone.

Putting them together is fun. Interesting to see how everything works.

$2900??  Holy shit. You could have had one of the best gunsmiths in the business build you a 100% custom for that and been way better off both in parts and performance. 

Example:  http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2013-custom-rifles/ga-precision-g.a.-precision-gap-10-.html

Can I ask why you want a .338 AR platform? 

Edited by flounder

$2900??  Holy shit. You could have had one of the best gunsmiths in the business build you a 100% custom for that and been way better off both in parts and performance. 

Example:  http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2013-custom-rifles/ga-precision-g.a.-precision-gap-10-.html

Can I ask why you want a .338 AR platform? 

You misread his post. He built the AR in 6.8 and is building a Semi-Auto Sniper System (SASS) in .338 Lapua.

Although I'd question the need for semi-auto vs. a good bolt rifle with .338 lapua, but to each their own.

You misread his post. He built the AR in 6.8 and is building a Semi-Auto Sniper System (SASS) in .338 Lapua.

Although I'd question the need for semi-auto vs. a good bolt rifle with .338 lapua, but to each their own.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Nope dont think i mis-read. He clearly said $2900 invested in his 6.8 build. I pointed out that was a shit-ton. I then also asked why he wanted a 338 AR.