I'm Finally Getting A Gun.

RSparky

It's been in the back of my head for years. I was in school, or working at the gubment, or poor, all of which wouldn't really allow me the expenditure of time or money. But this weekend, I go the itch again, and posted an open, inquisitive status on facebook. My dad calls me and tells me he bought one recently that would be right up my alley. A Smith & Wesson 22A1. I was asking about .22s in particular, simply because I am not sure if I'll even like the sport, so I'd rather not invest a lot. Plus, it may be small enough that the very nonviolent wifey might give it a try one day, though it's doubtful. I've read they are pretty accurate, but may be picky. Federal Bulk was quoted as a good ammo for it. idk what that even is. If it's literally from Uncle Sam or its just a brand name. Maybe I'll google it after i close all the Smith & Wesson pages.

Anywho, just thought I'd post up here, see your opinions, and advice, as well as ask who around Centerville/Dayton goes to ranges and where?

I'll probably first get to know it in dad's back yard though. He has plenty of land and a giant gravel pile. 

.22 handguns aren't really any cheaper than other calibers.

The ammo obviously is, but the guns themselves aren't.

What kind of shooting are you thinking of doing? A single-action revolver with a long barrel will be accurate, and it slows you down (more cost savings).

A "heritage arms" revolver is cheap-ish. Phoenix arms makes a compact pistol with 2 barrels as well. Hp22a I think.

A twenty-two is a fine way to get your feet wet. Enjoy andante sure you study up on firearm safety and don't become complacent, even if "it's just a .22".

Have fun!

Sorry for the neg rep. It was a slip, will some one fix it for me?

First off, your not buying a gun. A gun is an artillery piece. You're interested in buying a weapon.

My advice is to head to a local shooting range and try out a few of their range guns. Blackwing has a good selection of rifles and pistols to choose from and their prices aren't terrible.

Also, I'm bound to go shooting and blowing up stuff here sometime soon, so if you wanted to go that route I could let you know when were heading out and you could tag along for that. We've all been shooting for years, some in the military, and would be happy to show you the ropes. We've also got a pretty varied selection of weapons as well.

My key advice would be don't buy anything because someone tells you to. There is no returning weapons for the most part, so once you've bought it, it is yours. Go try someone else's first before you spend your money on it.

First off, your not buying a gun. A gun is an artillery piece. You're interested in buying a weapon.

My advice is to head to a local shooting range and try out a few of their range guns. Blackwing has a good selection of rifles and pistols to choose from and their prices aren't terrible.

Also, I'm bound to go shooting and blowing up stuff here sometime soon, so if you wanted to go that route I could let you know when were heading out and you could tag along for that. We've all been shooting for years, some in the military, and would be happy to show you the ropes. We've also got a pretty varied selection of weapons as well.

My key advice would be don't buy anything because someone tells you to. There is no returning weapons for the most part, so once you've bought it, it is yours. Go try someone else's first before you spend your money on it.

I'm more than happy to let him try out my 1911, even tho I think its way more of a gun then he'd need.

sent from double thumbin' it

I'm more than happy to let him try out my 1911, even tho I think its way more of a gun then he'd need.

sent from double thumbin' it

would you say it's more like an R1 of guns, or a gsxr 750 of guns?

would you say it's more like an R1 of guns, or a gsxr 750 of guns?

I think he should stick with the sv650 and learn to really ride first.... Oh wait... Wrong thread.

As everyone else said, go to a range that rents firearms . Take someone without whose firmiler, so you don't get out on the range and have no idea what to do.