What Should I / Would You Do? Dealership Issues.

cOoTeR

I bought my bike a year ago brand new from a dealership called Ride Now. I wanted a new bike so a dealership was my only option. Down here they have a horrible reputation. I didn't know this until after i bought my bike since I was new to the area at the time and didn't know to many other riders yet. For some dumb reason I bought the prepaid 2 year service plan since it was discounted.

After my last service i noticed my they had missed putting one of the screws back in the airbox. This wouldn't bother me too much but its the center screw and without it in there is a hole that goes into the airbox allowing dirt to get behind the filter and potentially into the engine. I also noticed they had cross threaded one of the 2 bolts that hold the gas tank onto the subframe. I called the service department at the dealership and was told "I'm sorry about that. I'll see when we can get you scheduled in and I'll call you back. We will fix that for you." I never got a call back.

I had some unrelated issues with getting my ECU reflashed so I just said screw it I'll deal with it at the next service and covered the hole with tape.

As I was getting a dyno tune I noticed the radiator was leaking even though there was no damage to it. So I took it in for warranty work on it. When I dropped it off (July 8)I politely told them about being upset about the airbox and subframe issue and mainly being told I'd be called back and never being called. I got the "were sorry we will fix it". A couple hours later they called and said it was going to be covered under warranty. They also said they couldnt find where the screw was missing from the airbox. I told them it was the center screw under the piece of blue tape. With a bit of attitude they guy says "well I guess we will look again. Long story short I was told the repair would be 5 days max. After 7 days I called and they said it'd be in tomorrow. Then after that the radiator was on back order according to them. Then they got it in they called and told mei would be able to pick the bike up "tomorrow" (the next day). They called me the next day to say the radiator was damaged during shipping.But they'd have it fixed soon but the radiators were backordered again. Then a friend of a friend that works at a Kawi dealer in TX sent me a screen shot showing the part is actually in stock in the Kawasaki warehouse in Michigan. A few days later they say they were able to order it so I don't know if they just came in stock when the guy in texas checked fo me or if they were always in stock. I gave them the benefit of doubt. Well exactly 30 days go by from when i dropped tge bike off and they call to tell me its ready (on Aug 7). I work 3rd shift and it was close to their closing time so i said i'd come by the 8th to get it. I picked it up the evening of the 8th. Then they tell me the engine ice I asked for was $20 more than I was quoted. Then they told me that I was misquoted for the 2 half gallons and showed me the price of each. Well the price they were charging me was $3 over what it should have been. They then said "well your bike didn't take all of the second one do you want it?" I said yes I would.

I honestly was polite and asked them if my service contract could be taken elsewhere. They said no why? Acting concerned and insulted. I explained that I was not happy with the service and pointed out the issue with the bolt and screw from earlier.I also told them I thought that 30 days was absurd to replace a radiator. I also informed them that another dealership informed me they could order the radiator before they ( the current dealership) told me they could order it. But iwasnt going to make a big deal about it since there was a chance the radiators just came in stock right before the other dealership checked on it. Then they said well what can we do to make it right? I told them id rather just go elsewhere because I expected better service. I told them I'm not the type of person to make demands and I didn't want to play a guessing game of what they are willing to do. I said it was their decision to do what they though was right. The guy said "well I don't know what you want us to do. I told them well i was not happy with the work and service I've been getting and I also didn't know how they could change the way I felt. Reading this it may seem like this was an argument but it was a regular conversation.

I rode the bike home and parked it. Yesterday morning after work I decided I was going to pull the stock shock off and send it out to be revalved and resprung because the stock shock is notoriously weak on the 2011+ ZX10r's. I then noticed the windscreen bolts were too tight and had the screen bent out of shape around the bolt holes. So I backed them out and noticed the "crater" shape around the bolts didnt come out even when I backed the bolts all the way out. I also noticed every bolt on the windscreen was missing the small washers that go between the bolt and windscreen and tge bolts had cut into the windscreen. This is an almost brand new zerogravity screen so I'm pretty pissed about that. To get to the shocks top bolt you have to take off the rear cowl seats and get under the fuel tank. I took the rear seat off and noticed the rear cowl/fairin was missing the bolts that held it in place and they had been replaced with those plastic rivets that you have to push the center in to get them loose. Another little thing that tick me off because where the hell did they put the bolts and get these? Also thats not the right parts. I go to pop them out so I can get the shock off because I want that done before my trip in 2 weeks. Well the rivets are too big for the holes they are in so I can't push the middle in to get them out. So i call the dealer and they say "we're sorry just bring it in and we will fix it". I said Are you kidding me? You guys had my bike for a month and now I've got to bring it back and its just so you can just fix it? I live an hour away and that's it I just have to take 2hrs plus out of my day because you guys screwed up again and your just going to move the bolts around? Well sir just come in and we will make it right.

I've lost my patience with them now and I'm going to talk with a manager about all this crap. What the hell do i tell him if he says how can we make it right? Also is it worth it / will it do anything to call kawasaki customer service and complain? I just really don't see myself being as nice as I have been with them when I go in which is why I waited to take it in. Because yesterday I needed to chill out before going in. This is kind of one of those issues of little shit adding up to piss me off. The straw that broke the camel's back so to speak.

The dealer fixed everything. But first told me the windscreen was supposed to be shaped like it had craters under/around the bolts. So I told them I wanted to speak to the general manager and get refunded for my service contract. The guy I was talking to told me the people I wanted to see were upfront. The General manager was talking with someone else so I waited. While I was waiting the service manager came running up to me from the back. He was very apologetic and said that he personally would make sure that none of the B.S. that has happened would happen again. He will check my bike over after every service personally to guarantee its done right. He told me that he didn't realize my earlier complaints were from me because I talked to a different person the first to times I called and he quit so he thought my complaints were two different customers. He was embarrassed because of all the crap I've had to deal with. He explained to me the windscreen is supposed to be that way in their opinion but they were ordering me a new one anyways even if I still wanted to cancel my service contract. We talked about everything and he promised me that that's not the level work they do back there and doesn't know what happened as to why my stuff was so screwed up. I said the first thing you need to know about working on sportbikes is how to remove and install fairings, its one of the easiest things. If they've screwed that up most of the times I've been in there how much of the other stuff that I can't see or don't know did they screw up? He said he understood and feels bad that I feel that way, I shouldn't feel that way and he'd like the chance to prove to me they are better than that. I told him that I'd give them another chance but if the smallest thing is screwed up I'm going to go off in there infront of everyone and complain and write letters to every higher up with their company and kawasaki that I can get an address for. He said he understands and promised he wouldn't let me down. Then he and I went into the service bay so I could point out everything that I was not 100% happy about down to minor scratches so he could take it up with the techs. Then he replaced a few bolts just because they had tool marks on them. So hopefully he's good for his word.

This is a good example of how service is so important. So many dealerships suck. Partly because most techs don't get paid that well.

I am so thankful that I like and trust my current dealer and dealer tech. They always install parts for free. He changed my brake fluids last time I was in for free. This time they drilled my oil drain and fill and safety wired for free at my request. They also cleaned my chain that i needed to do. I'm falling in love with Commonwealth Ducati in Louisville. Just wish they were closer.

Normally I do a lot myself but as in getting older I have less time and desire to do it all.

Edited by turnone
  • Upvote 1

Talk to the owner but still find another dealer. I don't know where you are at by I know the District Manager East Region for Kawasaki out of New Jersey. PM me and I'll give you his name and number. Make sure Kawasaki knows about this but find another dealer. My guy can help you with that. I wouldn't ever trust them again. They are the way they are for a reason I doubt you'll fix that. Why give them another chance to screw up again. But play it how you like. Good Luck and PM me if you want my guy to help.