Wv Route Suggestions?

DAC

Got my brother coming in around Labor Day.  He'll rent a bike for a couple days and was thinking of riding into WV, riding roads down there and staying somewhere there and taking some alternate routes back.

Any suggestions for roads to hit in WV?

Thanks.

I live in Little Hocking at the southern end of 555 so route begins here. 

Route 7 north about 1 mile

Parkersburg exit to the right (bypasses around Parkersburg)

take bypass to the Staunton Ave exit

about 3 miles to interstate 77 south

about 3 more miles to Mineralwells exit

rt. 14 to Elizabeth

follow 14 from Elizabeth to Spencer

from Spencer take 33\119 to Arnoldsburg

16 north to Grantsville

16n from Grantsville to Smithville

route 47 from Smithville to Parkersburg

155 miles total round trip back to 555 and Little Hocking. 

• Upvote 1

How many miles/days are you willing to ride :burnout:

Maybe like 600+ miles over two days.  Getting across the river and doing some interesting roads, staying one night, coming back a different way.

Well, my favorite roads are all in the very eastern part of the state, probably too far for the amount of time you have:

U.S. 33  from Judy Gap into Virginia and U.S. 250 parallel to it further south, 39 around Marlinton to the Va. line further south yet, 42 south from Mt. Storm, even that section of U.S. 50 along there, and all the roads that connect them. Can't go wrong anywhere around there. Ride up to Spruce Knob, highest point in the state, for some good views. The road is now paved all the way to the top.

You can't go wrong with the route Bliz suggested, and if you want to extend it, you can reverse it and go south on 16 down to the Hawks Nest S.P./ New River Gorge area.

I have had a far different experience from Tonik on the section of 250 he mentioned. Every time I've been on it I've been behind a parade of four or five slow-moving pickup trucks driven by farmers who are clearly going to live to be at least 175 years old and thus have no sense of urgency.

• Upvote 1

Well, my favorite roads are all in the very eastern part of the state, probably too far for the amount of time you have:

U.S. 33  from Judy Gap into Virginia and U.S. 250 parallel to it further south

33 East from Elkins into the mountains to WV220 into VA, then 250 back into WV is absolutely incredible.  It should be on every rider's bucket list.

• Upvote 1

We were supposed to ride this area July 4 time frame but it rained for like 16 days straight so it didn't happen. RT. 16 is supposed to be great.  RT 61 and 41 around New River are also supposed to be awesome.  I'm hoping to get down there Labor Day week as well.

Mary

• Upvote 1

Here's the way I go lots of twists.......Go to Zanesville to 555 South till you get to route 7 turn left go to Parkersburg cross ohio river take route 14 South to Spencer...Take route 119 out of Spencer for a mile or two look for route 36 on the left....Take 36 till it ends at route 4 turn left go to route 16 turn right...go till you hit route 60 turn left 60 is Nice...It go's right by Hawks nest state park very nice place to stay......When down there Route 41 and 61 are very nice......There is even a road to ride under the New river bridge....This is one of the ways I go.....About 250 miles from C-Bus..........Just an Idea.....

• Upvote 2

.....https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=201847074256690888267.0004e3db6a38b47b57002&msa=0

I threw this together, we plan on riding Aug 24th/25th.  The route won't save right on google maps but basically take 47 back into Parkersburg.  

I put this together with several maps from motorcycleroads.com basically.

Edited by Wes Stone

I don't know why i can't post my link right.  and now i can't edit my original.

maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=201847074256690888267.0004e3db6a38b47b57002&msa=0

Yeah. I think the plan is to come 19 to 119/33 to 47 back to Ohioland. Thanks and welcome to the forum!

• 3 weeks later...

So we made it down into WV over the last two days. Was supposed to rain but we went anyway and it was fine. Didn't get wet until just east of Coonville on 56 on the return trip. We stayed in the western part of WV for this trip, will go further out some other time.

WV has Good roads in general but the houses seem to crowd the road more than here. And there's more of them and they don't step the speed limit down for the "towns" as much. This is sort of nerve wracking when you are taking a corner and seeing these driveways with some guy's porch 3 feet off the road and his pickup even closer. Wouldn't want to have him take off on a grocery run while I'm rounding the curve.

250 from Moundsville to Fairmont would be a great road but it's in terrible shape. The outsides are crumbling, sometimes three inches down from the rest of the lane. Forces you into the left tire track which makes left turns interesting when there is oncoming traffic. My brother thought it was a riot but he's kinda nuts.

Overall fun trip but we had just as much fun on the Ohio roads on the way there and back. My brother lives in Seattle and was amazed at the quality of roads Ohio has. Our scenery certainly can't compete with the Cascades, but the roads are twistier here and more challenging.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Edited by DAC
  • Upvote 1

Last weekend, I rode US33 past Spencer. I took SR 16 south to Gauley Bridge. I then headed east on US60 to Covington, VA. The route was in pretty good shape. There were some spots on SR 16 that my GPS said that the speed limit was 40. I don't know if they were or not, but there is no way I was riding that far and was going to go that slow. The roads and scenery around Gauley Bridge were awesome. The switch backs on US 60 going up the mountains have passing lanes, so you don't have to be patient or illegally pass slow vehicles. I will definitely ride there again. Next time I will probably bring a tent and do some camping. The area is nice, so there has to be more good roads around.

Last year, I made a camping trip to Seneca Rocks in WV. From CBus you pretty much follow US33. That was also a good trip with a number of good roads in that area. Many of them were county roads that were in really good shape. You can also ride into Virginia with more good roads.

So we made it down into WV over the last two days. Was supposed to rain but we went anyway and it was fine. Didn't get wet until just east of Coonville on 56 on the return trip. We stayed in the western part of WV for this trip, will go further out some other time.

WV has Good roads in general but the houses seem to crowd the road more than here. And there's more of them and they don't step the speed limit down for the "towns" as much. This is sort of nerve wracking when you are taking a corner and seeing these driveways with some guy's porch 3 feet off the road and his pickup even closer. Wouldn't want to have him take off on a grocery run while I'm rounding the curve.

250 from Moundsville to Fairmont would be a great road but it's in terrible shape. The outsides are crumbling, sometimes three inches down from the rest of the lane. Forces you into the left tire track which makes left turns interesting when there is oncoming traffic. My brother thought it was a riot but he's kinda nuts.

Overall fun trip but we had just as much fun on the Ohio roads on the way there and back. My brother lives in Seattle and was amazed at the quality of roads Ohio has. Our scenery certainly can't compete with the Cascades, but the roads are twistier here and more challenging.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I'm working and staying outside of New Martinsville.This weekend I rode most of the same section of 250 that you mentioned.It's a shame that 250 is in such bad condition because it really is a great road.I rode it back in 2007 when it had good pavement and it was a blast!You'd think it would be better taken care of since it's a major rural route,kinda like 800 in S.E.O.

• Upvote 1

I'm working and staying outside of New Martinsville.This weekend I rode most of the same section of 250 that you mentioned.It's a shame that 250 is in such bad condition because it really is a great road.I rode it back in 2007 when it had good pavement and it was a blast!You'd think it would be better taken care of since it's a major rural route,kinda like 800 in S.E.O.

I agree - I can see some really good rides on that one if it was kept up better.  Steep hillsides though - understably hard to keep them from eroding.

Incidentally, we rode 555 and then 78 from McConnelsville (BTW, Blue Bell Diner there is great for lunch) all the way to the river and it was great.  On the way back we did 550 and 93 - easier than 555/78 but the pavement was pristine (with 56 inbetween, which is okay).  So if you're tired after a full day (or two) of twisties, and want to step it down to fast sweepers, this is a nice ride back home.

If anyone is interested check out motoroads.net he has some really good routes mapped throughout WV OH and PA out my personal favorite is the "ultimate twisties" anytime you have the opportunity. I would recommend checking out Rte 50 especially near Mt. Storm.  

• 10 months later...

Starting to think about a 3 day trip down south. Any suggestions for southern WV/Northern VA?  How about eastern WV? Is 250 still in bad shape? Any other good roads in George Washington or Monongahela Forest? 

Mary

47 to 16 from Parkersburg is nice, & 16 is really great around Gauley Bridge and then again south of the new river gorge area all the way into the western tip of Virginia leading up to the Marion to Tazwell "back of the dragon" section that is amazing. 421 "the snake" is near there, so is the mighty python. Both are great, 421 a little more to my likings.

• Upvote 1

How about eastern WV? Is 250 still in bad shape? Any other good roads in George Washington or Monongahela Forest? 

Mary

TONS! Cant go wrong exporing that area. Snowshoe Mountain, Mt Storm, the paved road (northeastern side?) to the top of spruce knob, 39 is really nice scenic high elevation runs though the mountains and very fun and twisty west of the mountains in the big hills, the very twisted portions of 219, and the pinnacle of it all, US33 from Seneca Rocks, WV into Shenandoah National Forest to Hinton, VA & back. On the return route, ride 33 over the mountain bordering WV&VA, & then skip the western mountain crossing on 33 near seneca rocks and instead head north on 220 i believe, left past Upper Tract into Smoke Hole Canyon on CoRte28/2 I believe it was, follow the breathtakingly scenic winding road along the little south branch river, then before it turns to a dirt road, make a left on (co rte 2???) And then a right onto Smoke Hole Rd. After some ascending through farmland in the hills out of the canyon, smoke hole rd takes you up along the side of the mountain paralell to the ridge for some very tight twisty turns all over. Very fun and challenging.