Chain Slack

mfs81

Keep forgetting to say and/or ask...

Myself and a buddy keep looking at my chain on the bike.  The chain has some slack to it.  I can't really say how much slack with out looking it over again.  So my question would be, what's the basic minimum the chain can or should have slack wise? And if should have slack at all? One day next wk, planning to have someone look it over.

Thanks!

Later...

9 times out of 10, most the track day guys run their chains WAAAY too tight.  Which means they probably are running the street bike with too tight a chain.

The idea as Craig - COUGH< COUGH "Mr. Smooth" stated is to allow the suspension and swingarm to work.  For example, you will get wheel spin if the chain is too tight.  If it is where it needs to be, the rear wheel gets traction and is gripping and working the suspension and swingarm as it should be.

Quick reference also is three fingers stacked and can fit under the chain and above the swingarm at the top...

I adjsut mine to 1" as that is spec, I run it 1500-2000 miles between adjustments and generally let it g3t fairly loose, which is my previously stated intervals. Unless im planning a long highway trip I wont adjust it until its very loose.

I do lube once a week tho with chain wax and clean every 2nd adjustment unless im going on a trip

I adjsut mine to 1" as that is spec, I run it 1500-2000 miles between adjustments and generally let it g3t fairly loose, which is my previously stated intervals. Unless im planning a long highway trip I wont adjust it until its very loose.

I do lube once a week tho with chain wax and clean every 2nd adjustment unless im going on a trip

Not enough, Chief...

Both too tight

More loose is more good, than more tight, which is more bad.

I agree with 3 fingers and loose.  This only apply's to chains however....

9 times out of 10, most the track day guys run their chains WAAAY too tight.  Which means they probably are running the street bike with too tight a chain.

The idea as Craig - COUGH< COUGH "Mr. Smooth" stated is to allow the suspension and swingarm to work.  For example, you will get wheel spin if the chain is too tight.  If it is where it needs to be, the rear wheel gets traction and is gripping and working the suspension and swingarm as it should be.

Quick reference also is three fingers stacked and can fit under the chain and above the swingarm at the top...

Loose like these.

Loose is fast

Tight is slow and a good way to crash when driving out of a corner

Varies from bike to bike but probably around an inch and a half. Check the manual.

That's what I figured.  Couldn't find anything in the book the other night.  I'll look at it again and go check the bike out on this as well.

Should tell you on you're swing arm also.

Hmm....  I didn't recall a label on the swing arm area, but I'll double check.

More loose is more good, than more tight, which is more bad.

Some lady told that the other day...lmao

9 times out of 10, most the track day guys run their chains WAAAY too tight. 

9 times out of 10, most the track day tech guys tell you your chain is WAAAY too tight.  I started running at the looser end of spec in hopes of not hearing about it.  If you ever really want to know what it does, take your shock off and run the swingarm through its range of travel.

9 times out of 10, most the track day tech guys tell you your chain is WAAAY too tight.  I started running at the looser end of spec in hopes of not hearing about it.  If you ever really want to know what it does, take your shock off and run the swingarm through its range of travel.

They say that because its 100% accurate.

Because mfg spec is not based on track usage.

So is this something that should be switched between track/street use? 

If I hit a pothole and I'm running my chain at 2 inches of movement, will it jump the sprocket and make a beautiful noise?